Obsidian Stout | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Deep, robust and richly rewarding, this is beer to linger over. Obsidian has distinct notes of espresso, chocolate, roasted malt and black barley, with just enough hop bite to cut the sweetness.

IBUs: 55

220 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001

Ratings: 3,995 |  Reviews: 1,180
2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

Overall: this was proabably my least favorite stout. It tasted like a typical west coast IPA mixed with a stout, and the result was the look of a stout and the taste of a Pale Ale. Maybe I had a bad batch because I drank 2 from the same 6 pack and they were identical? This is not something I would buy again.

A: typical stout darkness with nice tan head

S: I didn't pick up much of the roasted smells, or the coffee, malty smells either.

T: As I mentioned in my overall summary I just did not get the typical stout flavors that I enjoy - chocolates and coffees, toffees, caramels, roasted flavors. Instead it simply tasted like a typical Pale Ale. If I had closed my eyes I would have sworn it was a pale ale. I might say as the beer warmed up and if I let it sit in my mouth for just a bit I would get a little bit of a light coffee flavor, but almost unnoticeable.

M: perhaps some of the creaminess of a stout with the head, but definitely that thicker feeling that I get from other stouts.

2.86/5  rDev -31.9%

A - Very darkish red with a decent head retention and great lace that sticks to the sides.

S - Chocolatey with a floral or citrus smell that could be from the hops.

T - Different than most stouts I have had. Smooth at the very beginning but instantly transforms into bitterness from the crystal malts. There is a slight citrus flavor to it.

M - Medium bodied which is not something I expect from a stout. The beer doesn't coat the mouth for long.

O - Something that can only be enjoyed as a sipper, not because of the body but from he bitterness. I probably could only have one or two.

2.88/5  rDev -31.4%

Reviewed 1/14/2010:

(Bottle BB 2/4/10): Pours a dark black color body, average tan head, somewhat lasting. Dark roasty aroma, alcoholy. Some sweetness, coffee. Funky taste, coffee aftertaste. Light body, somewhat watery. Some ash, but not heavy. A bit of wildness too. Not so tasty.

2.89/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

2.94/5  rDev -30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz bottle, best by 10/13/14. Pours dark brown black with a huge creamy light brown head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is dry chalky roast chocolate malts and some grains with a little coffee.

The flavor is burnt roast bitter chocolate malts with some coffee and a little sweetness and a fairly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation and a little watery.

Overall, some sweet chocolate and heavily roasted / burnt chocolate malts with a little coffee and a bitter burnt finish. A little too burnt for me.

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%