Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Obsidian Stout | Deschutes Brewery

4.7

Ratings: 3,906 |  Reviews: 1,159
2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

Overall: this was proabably my least favorite stout. It tasted like a typical west coast IPA mixed with a stout, and the result was the look of a stout and the taste of a Pale Ale. Maybe I had a bad batch because I drank 2 from the same 6 pack and they were identical? This is not something I would buy again.

A: typical stout darkness with nice tan head

S: I didn't pick up much of the roasted smells, or the coffee, malty smells either.

T: As I mentioned in my overall summary I just did not get the typical stout flavors that I enjoy - chocolates and coffees, toffees, caramels, roasted flavors. Instead it simply tasted like a typical Pale Ale. If I had closed my eyes I would have sworn it was a pale ale. I might say as the beer warmed up and if I let it sit in my mouth for just a bit I would get a little bit of a light coffee flavor, but almost unnoticeable.

M: perhaps some of the creaminess of a stout with the head, but definitely that thicker feeling that I get from other stouts.

2.86/5  rDev -31.9%

A - Very darkish red with a decent head retention and great lace that sticks to the sides.

S - Chocolatey with a floral or citrus smell that could be from the hops.

T - Different than most stouts I have had. Smooth at the very beginning but instantly transforms into bitterness from the crystal malts. There is a slight citrus flavor to it.

M - Medium bodied which is not something I expect from a stout. The beer doesn't coat the mouth for long.

O - Something that can only be enjoyed as a sipper, not because of the body but from he bitterness. I probably could only have one or two.

2.88/5  rDev -31.4%

Reviewed 1/14/2010:

(Bottle BB 2/4/10): Pours a dark black color body, average tan head, somewhat lasting. Dark roasty aroma, alcoholy. Some sweetness, coffee. Funky taste, coffee aftertaste. Light body, somewhat watery. Some ash, but not heavy. A bit of wildness too. Not so tasty.

2.94/5  rDev -30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz bottle, best by 10/13/14. Pours dark brown black with a huge creamy light brown head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is dry chalky roast chocolate malts and some grains with a little coffee.

The flavor is burnt roast bitter chocolate malts with some coffee and a little sweetness and a fairly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation and a little watery.

Overall, some sweet chocolate and heavily roasted / burnt chocolate malts with a little coffee and a bitter burnt finish. A little too burnt for me.

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%

3.09/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

12 oz in a snifter via trade from Nitrogen (as always, thank you).

APPEARANCE: Dark black with a thin head, quickly disappears into the thick black

SMELL: Strong smell of chocolate, roasted malts and grain. Powerful smell.

TASTE: Smell of chocolate and malts. The taste isn't as strong as I expected. Wasn't as much there as the smell gave off. I guess I expected more from this beer.

MOUTHFEEL: To thin for stout for me. Too watery for me. Not quite what I expect.

DRINKABILITY: I Could sip this for awhile, but overall, I wouldn't want too many of these.

I expected more from this beer because of the reviews and all of the talk, but it really didn't do much for me. I honestly expected a lot more, but it really didn't do much for me.

Obsidian Stout from Deschutes Brewery