Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Obsidian Stout | Deschutes Brewery

4.7

Ratings: 3,905 |  Reviews: 1,159
3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

3.12/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: I can see why they called it obsidian stout. Jet black body with a thick and heavy mocha colored head.

S: Not a big fan. It smelled like a chocolatey lager. There was intense chocolatey aromas but the soggy bready aromas were also very strong.

T: I'm not so sure why this beer is reviewed so highly. The malt has too mush sharpness from the roast. I love stouts but the roast is way too much. The lager soggy bready flavor matches that in the aroma. There is some chocolate flavors here as well.

M: Nicely carbonated and the body is a tad light for a stout but still good.

O: Know what this beer tastes like, I would not be disappointed if I never tried it. There are much better stouts available year round for less out there.

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

Got this bottle from the make your own six pack door @ Top Ten Wine & Spirits in Woodbury, MN. Poured into a arrogant bastard pint glass

Pours a pitch black with a nice two finger mocha head that dissolves really quick

Smell getting some chocolate and Burnt coffee beans

Nice mouthfeel could of been a little heavier but it is very drinkable

I get the bitter chocolate and coffee bean with a little vanilla the hoppy bitter chocolate lingers in the after taste

It was pretty darn good but just a little to bitter for my liking. But a god one

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

From Notes:

A: Poured a very dark brown, almost black with a tan head, about half an inch thick that receded to a thin film. Almost entirely opaque. Decent lacing. 4.0

S: Very rich, chocolate, and dark roasted malts, slight coffee hints as well. Very noticeable piney hops, as well, add a clean dimension, but seem somewhat out of place. 3.0

T: Smoky, coffee flavors up front, with a nice bitter lingering. Relatively little chocolate flavor though, very subdued. Hops are very clean finishing, but are a little too much. Slightly out of balance. Bitterness definitely comes from hops. Clean finish, but just a little too hoppy. 3.0

M: Fairly thick and creamy, doesn't coat the mouth, but still isn't half bad. A little too clean though. 3.0

D: Minus being overly hopped, the beer is fairly drinkable. It wouldn't be my first choice as far as American stouts go, but it is still a very drinkable beer. 3.5

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: Pours pitch black with 2-finger foamy, brown head. No light passes through this beast.

Smell: Milk chocolate and coffee. Roasted malts and ... [fill in the blank]. That's probably it; not too complex, but smells very rich and smooth.

Taste: A strong milk chocolate flavor followed by mocha and roasted malts makes for a smooth, rich drink. However, flavor seems to be lacking that 'pop'. There's just nothing distinct or memorable about this one. Furthermore the aftertaste is that of an ashtray.

Mouthfeel: Thick and milky with a pretty smooth aftertaste. Carbonation is a little too high. I've had better.

Drinkability: Very smooth. We were expecting something a little more challenging. We don't have any beef with this stout, however we can't see any reasons to seek it out again.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.19/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

No specific scent pulling through. Picking up mostly on burnt coffee bean. Leaves a bitter malty aftertaste that lingers for a few extra seconds. Meh.

12 oz from Bel-Air

A - Black, dark mocha head, which dissipates very quickly. Lt-moderate carbonation.

S - Dark cherry-chocolate. Light alcohol presence.

T - Dark coffee, grassy notes, lightly earthy, and light dark chocolate.

M - Lightly bitter and moderately dry.

D Good, but the mouthfeel is nothing special. Also the alcohol presence is slightly alarming in a 6.4 beer.

3.19/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

My tastes are usually more along the lines of hefeweizens and lagers, so take that into consideration here. I am always looking at expanding my repertoire and I've always been interested in stouts.
Popping a bottle of Obsidian open, as with most beers, I first notice the head. It is thick but it's the color that's more notable, a kind of really light umber tone, capping the impenetrably black body. It's smooth and I noticed a relatively low amount of carbonation in my glass. The flavor is primarily roasted malts, with the usual notes of coffee and cocoa (more than a straight chocolate). As one reviewer noted, there is a bit of a char to the flavor, especially in the aftertaste. Overall, I can see this as an easy-drinking stout; it almost seems a bit too thin, but I do like its cleanliness.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

On nitro-tap at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano.

The beer pours a deep, black color with a large nitro-induced tan head. The aroma is full of roasted malt and chocolate, just as I expected. The flavor is where the nitro really takes away from the beer. I get quite a bit of chocolate and roasted malt, but the nitro thins out the mouthfeel and makes the beer taste watery. There is also a little bit of coffee in the flavor. Thin to medium, watery mouthfeel.

Hopefully I will be able to try this beer in the bottle or on regular tap so I can re-review it, since I am sure it is a better beer when not on nitro.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

A: The beer was a dark brown color, almost black; light didn't pass through the glass. There was a tan head that disappeared quickly and left practically no lacing on the glass.

S: I noticed roasted malt like in a porter. There was also a faint, bitter bite- possibly from the alcohol or hops?

T: The taste was primarily bitter and dry. Unlike other bitter beers I've drank, I noticed the bitterness mostly on my palate and tongue rather than on my throat. I couldn't taste any level of sweetness; I think some sweetness would have balanced the flavor better.

M: The mouthfeel was a medium thickness, not good or bad. It seemed appropriate for the style.

D: The beer was okay overall, but I probably won't drink it too much in the future. I sort of felt about it the same way I feel about India Pale Ales: I prefer American Pale Ales or Double IPAs, but IPAs are somewhat annoying to me. APAs are mostly balanced with a slight hop bitterness, and DIPAs are very hoppy and alcoholic. But IPAs are only hoppy, which I don't really like. In a similar way, with dark beers I prefer a sweet/balanced Porter or a big, complex Russian Imperial Stout, but Stouts are often just bitter. I guess I don't like bitterness to be the foremost characteristic of a beer, I like bitterness to only have a supporting role to the flavor profile.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

One dimensional and then. Ripest flavored nice but the clash with the hop bitterness.

Had it a finally..
its an okay stout .. i have been wating to try it and finally i went down to a good spot looked on the wall and found they were serving it on nitro so i plopped down and had a glass

Taste: reminded of Black Butte porter in roastedness
Pour: didnt see it get poured so .. all i can say is its dark and lovely.. no head
Mouthfeel : bitter is very light.. can drink a few easily

Obsidian Stout from Deschutes Brewery