Obsidian Stout | Deschutes Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001

4.7

Ratings: 3,915 |  Reviews: 1,161

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%

I picked this up at the Jewel/Osco store in Glemdale Heights, IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this single 12oz bottle $1.67. A best before date is stamped on the side label.

The beer poured a very dark brown color and made a 3-finger light tan head on top which lasted several minutes and left incredible lacing.

The beer smells incredible. It's really sweet with roasted malts, sweet caramel, bittersweet chocolate, and strong coffee aromas.

It's not as sweet as the smell indicated. It's mostly dry roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, and bitter coffee. Add 4 different hops to the mix and you've got a really bitter stout. It's OK, but I would have preferred it sweeter.

Medium bodied with only moderate carbonation.

Wish it tasted as good as it smelled, but it's still a decent stout.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Looks: Two fingered head that stayed around a decent amount of time. Black as night as expected. The lacing that was left on the glass gave a good finish towards the end of the beer.

Scent: Semi-Sweet chocolates are the most prevalent smell. There is a hint of maltiness which adds a good balance, but I didn't notice any coffee or bittering scents at all.

Taste: This was a surprise for me because I thought the taste did not follow the smell much at all. I mostly tasted a powerful coffee with hints of very dark chocolate flavors. This was not sweet at all. The lack of sweetness did not bother me too much, but I would have liked to see some sweets at some point in the taste. Instead, the beer finished as is started with no flavor profile to change over time. This is the biggest reason I rated taste at a 4/5 instead of higher. I feel that if I wanted to have seen different flavors appear as the beer warmed up or as it sat in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Smooth for sure with a medium body. I would have liked less carbonation but that is really nickpicking. No oily feeling afterwards, not a bad mouthfeel.

Overall: I liked this one, but I do not think that it lived up to its hype. I will have to revisit and review again some time.

Obsidian Stout from Deschutes Brewery