Obsidian Stout | Deschutes Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001

Ratings: 3,856 |  Reviews: 1,141

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

Deschutes doesn't normally disappoint, and the Obsidian Stout is no exception.

A: It pours a deep brown, with a think tan head. The head on my beer actually disappeared rather quickly, but at the initial pour it was fantastic looking.

S: Definitely get the roasted smell initially, but there is a subtle sweetness that cuts through it after the first hit.

T: There are a lot of flavors with this beer. It begins with the roasted barely right toward the tip of the tongue right off the bat. As with the smell, there is a sweetness of fruit that comes right on the heels of the initial bitterness. As the thick stout moves to the back of your tongue, you are definitely left with a coffee/espresso taste. It is a complex taste that will stay in your mouth for quite a while, with a clear roasted essence lingering.

M: As you would expect with a stout, it has a thick feel to it. It is very smooth.

O: This is a fantastic beer. It is highly complex and offers a lot, from a beautiful appearance, to a lot of different flavors from bitter, to sweet, to roasted coffee. This is one of the better stouts that I have had, and I definitely recommend it.

4.42/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had this in my beer refrigerator for four months and it was buried in the back and I had not reviewed it. Deschutes Black Butte Porter is always on hand and I deviated to try this. I'm glad that I did. It is so good. The date code is 9/16/13 but I will review it anyway. Did it get better?

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle with the date code clearly visible (9/16/13) into a pint glass and got 2+ fingers of head.

A: Pours black and opaque. I get a huge 2+ fingers if tan head that dissipates slowly to more than just a covering on the top of my glass that lasts to the end. Huge amounts of off-white lacing from top to bottom.

S: Dark coffee, vanilla, and charcoal.

T: Charcoal, strong coffee, burnt toast, and molasses. Really complex. Finishes with the bitterness of unsweetened chocolate.

M: Medium bodied and carbonated. The carbonation is similar to an effervescence that dances on my tongue. It goes down good.

O: I really like it. It is really satisfying and tasty.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.25/5  rDev +1%

4.81/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I moved to Portland OR metro area in 2003 and always loved how the pacific NW caters to stout lovers... I have drunk a lot of beer in my life (much of it bad), and though I always liked how the microbrew phenomena coincided with my achieving legal drinking age. Sadly, though, the Atlantic seaboard does not carry many dark beers, hence my equal love for IPAs... Back to the review... I'm not a beer geek, but I love well crafted things in general. Deschutes Brewing has always been great with balancing fine beer with mass production (except maybe for JubelAle) and obsidian stout has been at the top of my list for 10 years running. Equal layers of coffee, chocolate , with a slight tobacco and leathery sweetness (yes, I've tasted leather). The mouthfeel is like real maple syrup consistency with a whipped foam coffee aftertaste. Just bitter enough to remind you that bitter is a masculine taste profile. The beer is hearty like a bowl of chunky soup, without the chunks. It drinks likes meal. If you find this on nitro, get it, as it lightens the beer while adding richness. Second only to Alameda black bear on nitro, but tops on a regularly available beer of any kind. I have loved European beer for far longer, but have a difficult time justifying their cost when craft brewers like Deschutes keep it real! This is the best value of any stout on the market, folks. Enjoy it when you can.

Jet black body, toasty tan head, smooth beer

moderate lacing

Mouthfeel thick

Taste: Chocolate, charcoal, grape, dark fruits, toffee, and burnt roast malt at the finish

Smells: booze, cocoa

Overall, this is brilliant. I'm buying a six pack very soon.

4.25/5  rDev +1%