Obsidian Stout | Deschutes Brewery

220 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001

Ratings: 3,856 |  Reviews: 1,141

Update 12-22-2010: 5.0/5.0/5.0/5.0/5.0

I have had this dozens of times since first reviewing it over 16 months ago. My admiration for this beer has increased significantly. It is now my favorite stout, other than imperials, and my favorite in Deschutes' year round line up. I am amazed by the consistency this fine brewery produces, and of this beer in particular. I never pay more than $8.99 a six pack at full retail and usually pay $6.99 to $7.49. Occasionally, I buy it on sale for $5.99. Awesome beer. Hard to imagine a better representation of the American stout style.

8/16/2009: 4.5/4.5/5.0/4.5/4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Best by date 9/25/09. Single purchased from local health foods store for $1.29.

A-Black and tan. Pours a deep, dark brown almost black hue with a two finger, creamy tan head with great retention and artsy lacing. A gorgeous craft beer. Briefly thought about getting my camera to take a picture. Absolutely beautiful.

S-Deep, dark chocolate and toasted malts with a lovely hop balance.

T-One word: delicious. Other words include wow, amazing, wonderful, etc. The superlatives are unending. Very well balanced. Rich malt and dark chocolate. Hoppy, clean, and complex. Very nice. My favorite American Stout.

M-Exceedingly smooth and nicely carbonated.

D-This is about as drinkable a stout as I can imagine. I like imperial stouts better, but this is extraordinary. I could drink this all night long. Expect I will in the fall and winter months ahead.

Maybe my favorite ale in Deschutes' very fine year round lineup. A great beer and very affordable in Salem, OR. Often available for $6.99 a sixer on sale. Great value.

This is one great tasting stout. Probably the best stout I've ever had.

Obsidian Stout from Deschutes Brewery