Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery

IBUs: 30

192 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,530 | Ratings: 5,960

A personal favorite of mine. It had all the qualities i love in a beer, complex, smokey, a silky mouthfeel, a wonderful smell, and just enough bitterness.

Black Butte has a smokey taste with very strong undertones of very good chocolate, and by "Very Good" i mean actual chocolate. Not a cheap Hershey's, but a strong bitterness with a fruity coffee undertone. There is a smokey roastiness to the malt, and the silky mouthfeel trademark of good porters.

The good feelings Black Butte brought on are the standard by which i hold my beers. While money issues have kept me from experimenting as far as i'd like, i like to grab a six pack or a large bottle whenever i have the money.

Poured from the tap into a pint glass. The appearance is a dark brown color with a medium sized tan colored head. The aroma is a fantastic blend of roasted malt and cocoa. the flavor is rich and full and is a perfect match for the appearance and aroma. The taste is roasted malt with cocoa and coffee as an aftertaste. This is one of the best beers I have ever had.

Look: At first it appears to pour completely black, but holding up to light reveals a very beautiful dark ruby red color. Just a finger of tan head that dissipates pretty quickly.

Smell: Lots of chocolate and roasted malt. Just a little bit of coffee in there too.

Taste: Delicious chocolate right away. Not too sweet, and definitely not bitter. Dark fruit undertones are there as well. The aftertaste left is chocolate and coffee.

Feel: This is the most balanced porter I have ever had. There's not a lot of carbonation, but enough to make it almost crisp, which is slightly unexpected for a brew like this. I'd expect something a little creamier, but this beer does really well with the lighter body. It makes it very drinkable overall.

Overall: I love this beer. It is my all time favorite. It's the most balanced and delicious porter I have every had so far, and it's my go to for it's great aroma, delicious taste, and drink-ability.

Toasty dark, easy drinking porter. Pours a dark color with a thick head. Right away you get that dark toasty smell on the nose.

The porter is my favorite style of beer.

This is my favorite beer. It's chocolately, smooth, coffee flavor is matched perfectly by it's creamy texture and fullness. Simply put, I've never had anything as good as this beer. I make sure to have a six-pack in the fridge at all times, just in case. I grew up drinking the normal crappy light beers, but when my mind and tongue was opened up to some new experiences, I could never go back.

This beer has nearly ruined lager for me.

A: Pours a luscious black color with garnet highlights and great clarity with just the hint of light coming through. The head is a frothy towering tan spectacle that takes it's time settling. This beer leaves tremendous lacing on the glass as you drink it down.

S: Robust roasted malt aromas that hint of chicory, chocolate, ash, roasted nuts, and a touch of smoke. There is much depth there and it keeps from being overly roasted or burnt smelling. A nod to some earthy hops just to balance it all out. Wow deep breaths for this one and it lures you in even more.

T: Ashy, but not burnt, with chocolate and coffee with cream, chicory, and just a touch of smoke. Pleasant earthy and spicy hops ad such a nice bitterness with the dark roasted malt bitterness.

M: Velvety smooth medium to full body, with just enough carbonation for the style. It is right on for what a porter should be, smooth, luscious, but not too heavy.

D: So wonderfully balanced and deep for a porter. This beer just beckons you to drink. Especially delicious as it warms up a bit. Well done and so glad to have this one again after so many years! Overall the best porter I have ever experienced!

For me, this beer can be summarized in two words: creamy (as in the mouthfeel) and complex (as in the flavor profile). Poured out of a 12 oz bottle. Dark, with a tall, tan head. The smell is malt and a hint of hops. Lots of complex maltiness going on. Feel is incredibly creamy and smooth - impeccable, really, and haunting. The taste is a hint of hops to add a little crispness, then lots of toasty flavors - chocolate being clearly present. A delicious porter - now a staple on my short list.

Poured into a Deschutes Pint Glass.

Pours a deep, rich brown with a nice tan head, large for a porter. Leaves a lot of lacing down the glass.

The nose is filled with smells of roasted barley, dark malted barley, and sweet coffee tones.

The flavor - I wasn't expecting this - is phenomenal. A rich flavor, with perfect balance between hops and these darker malts, in addition to the wonderful chewy texture and mouthfeel produces the most drinkable ,yet flavorful beer I've ever had.

All 5s across the board.

Such a great beer, drink it have a few, enjoy company..not so much a party beer but a classy yet elegant beer to enjoy and talk over with a nice dinner along with an amazing audience. Could have said this better.

Poured from draft. Appearance is black with a nice, muted head. Aroma of roasted coffee and chocolate! Shocker... Definitely some brightness comes through, also. Taste and mouthfeel are excellent. Taste mirrors the aroma with more complexity. I've read that this has zero flavorings, just malts, hops, yeast and water! Excellent porter.

Given a six pack bottled 13 days ago direct from brewery.

Poured into 12oz snifter.

A - pours a beautiful black, almost impervious to light with a 1 finger tan head.

S - smells of sweet chocolate and coffee

T - just as the nose, the mouth encountered beautifully sweet chocolate tastes with hints of coffee

M - smooth medium body, cream like texture

O - This beer has been a large desire of mine to try for some time and it did not disappoint. Just in time to have this before distribution hits my state. This beer is a must have and I can't wait to place it on tap at work.

picked up a six pack at wal-mart of all places.

rich chocolatey malty deliciousness. a slight tan head, though i like to pour mine with none at all. a taste of bitter citrus, but oh so smooth.

great on a cold winter day, or any day you feel like having a robust dark beer that's not too filling.

Poured into a snifter/tulip/wine glass from a 12 oz bottle

A - Lovely opaque deep dark brown almost black, one finger very tan head and some sugar legs and lacing.

S - freshly brewed full bodied coffee, chocolate (dark and milk), slight hint of dark over ripe berries, vanilla pipe/cigar tobacco, maybe some anise, slight caramelized brown sugar, baking yeast, fresh baked sweet bread, lots of sweet malts, full bodied roasted grains, freshly charred walnut, a very smooth booze note and a slight over ripe banana note

T - Very rich, creamy, sweet, robust malts and grains, earthy hop note, milk chocolate, vanilla, charred earth, roasted grain, fresh ground coffee, there is a hint of herbal maybe mint, baking yeast and sweet pipe tobacco.

M - Full bodied, great balance, great complexity, medium minus acidity, medium minus carbonation and a ride for the taste buds from start to finish

D/O - Excites the nose and taste buds in all of it's porter like glory. Refreshing, creamy, robust, rich and leaves you yearning for more. Everything I look for in an ale like this and more. If you don't like porters, try it, if you haven't had this, try it. Do yourself a favor and enjoy this one with every sip.

Final thoughts - Great price at around $7-8 a six pack a simple yet delightful 5.2% ABV and can/will be enjoyed year round. This ale can even be enjoyed after the "drink by" date. Perfect with rich and simplified foods and I recommend having this one on tap first!

I am new to this so I am not sure how to do this,
the appearance was a very dark chocolate looking
with a nice head on it

smell, at this point in my drinking carrier I can't tell
but I know it smells very good

taste, so far it has been the best Porter that I have tasted

mouth feel -- I wish I had one right now!!!

drink ability- Deschutes has become my favorite brewery so far I have tried four kinds of beers from them and I have not been disapointed !!!

Not much of a Porter drinker but this is a standout. Poured a nice dark color with good lacing. Nice roasted malt and chocolate flavored. I like it better than Edmond FitZgerald which is my go to Porter if I want one. No complaints here. Trying to talk hubby into one. He is having the Edmond Fitzgerald.

4.99/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Look: Almost pitch black, with a slight ruby glow when put against back lighting. Poured a nice inch of foamy tan head that lingered through drinking. Left nice lacing.

Smell: Smells of chocolate malt up front. Coffee and molasses hits you afterwards. Smells very very good. A smokey/burnt aroma is highly present.

Taste: Slightly smokey/burnt roasted malt flavor overpowers it all, but along with chocolate and coffee malts in the middle, finishing quite sweet like molasses or brown sugar. There is just the right amount of hop bitterness throughout.

Feel: Very medium bodied and very refreshing. Coats the mouth well, quite creamy and has a very nice level of carbonation.

Overall: I am by far a porter guy when it comes to beers, and this one is by far my favorite. It is a roasty, complex porter that balances all the aspects of it perfectly.

4.98/5  rDev +20%

My first porter was smoother than any Stout I've had. Working in Manhattan, KS we have Tallgrass on tap at our office. I can get Buffalo Sweat and Pale Ale or 8-Bit almost any time on tap. But I love trying the new samplers and found this porter to be my new favorite, even over the Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat. It's not as heavy and has a great taste. Had chocolate with it and was amazed at how it added to the flavor. I think it's my new favorite for sure.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Black Butte Porter is my overall favorite American style Porter. Out of all of the Deschutes beers BBP is definitely my favorite. It is totally worth the time.

Appearance: Dark as the night, tan head.

Smell: Bold smell.

Taste: Full and subtle.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but with volume.

Drinkability: All day long.

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

I purchased this on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Its appearance is deep brown and as close to black without being it as I think you can get (hence the name). The smell was very strong malt and chocolate.

I was most impressed with the taste however, It is very well balanced and very smooth. Probably one of gthe best for the style I have tasted. Strong malt flavor with a hint of burnt sugar or molasses.

This is definately one I would gladly pick up again in the near future.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

The best porter I've tried and one of the best beers I've had. Tried on tap at Twin Peaks in Irving TX and it was so good I had to have another. An exceptional brew.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Pours an attractive deep brown color and forms an off white head

S- Roasted with strong suggestions of chocolate, some coffee, and some earthy hints.

T- Strong in roasted malts, coffee and (of course) dark chocolate. Amazingly well balanced.

M- Medium mouthful and nice carbonation. Exceptionally smooth

O- This is the brew that got me into good beer and is still my all time favorite. This is also the beer I most often recommend for people interested in getting a taste of what craft breweries have to offer and rarely have they been disappointed.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

first things first, deschutes puts out some very appealing, simple labels that really draw you in. (also: purchase before date clearly printed on label, a feature that should be common, but isn't.)

a dark brown, kind of mysterious pour. lots of roasted malts, a little sweet caramel, and faint hops on nose... a full aroma for sure, and avoids cola-like smell of many porters.

malts are more burnt in taste, and finish is coffee. could not possibly be more perfectly balanced by bittering hops. very smooth, healthy carbonation, and medium-bodied.

full aroma and taste, easy drinking... not much more you can ask for. if i had to drink five beers for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

This is an all around great tasting beer from start to finish. It pours out almost a black in color with a caramel color head. When you first take a drink it has a malt taste with a nice chocolate finish. The hops are just right not too much. It sometimes reminds me of eating an ice cream sandwich. The IBU’s: 30 and the alcohol by Vol.5.2%. It’s a wonderful beer you can drink all day. I like to think it’s the perfect breakfast or camping beer. I drink this beer everyday.

4.91/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This may be my new favorite winter beer ever. It is malty without being cloying, robust without being overwhelming, and just tastes damn good. Chocolate, coffee... all those good things are present and the smell and taste are in near perfect alignment. I only gave a few lower than 5 ratings because there mut be something I'm missing... it's just too perfect. I must say, it's wonderful to not be kicked in the tongue with excessive hopping, too. I will buy this often.

4.91/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer's head is three fingers thick, with solid lacing, and an otherworldly dark brown body.

Smells like subtle yet pleasant notes of milk chocolate and dare I say,cappuccino? Please let me know if I'm insane for thinking its that and not just the garden variety"coffee" I and all of you have used to describe porters and stouts countless times. But if I am insane for thinking that,yes, this DOES smell like cappuccino, then please let me see what this tastes like before I'm in a straightjacket....

I taste semisweet chocolate, roasted malts, and, yep, muthafuckin' cappuccino! If I get taken away for being a complete loon for thinking such outrageous-ness, please let me have a few of these once in a while.

The mouthfeel I'm picking up is medium-heavy and velvety smooth. Very light on the carbonation;as a porter should be.

Overall, I'll choose to rate Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery with a very well-deserved 4.75. Please try to pick this up while in the "porter mood".

Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery