Black Butte Porter

192 calories per 12 oz serving
firstprev| 1576-1600 | 1601-1625 | 1626-1650  | next → last
Reviews: 1,640 | Ratings: 6,459
2.51/5  rDev -40.1%

Wow, this was horrible on tap at our local Applebee's. I have had it in bottle and was much better. What happened? Usually bottle is not as good as tap. This beer tasted bland and I could not tell if there was any hops in it at all. Hmmm, bad batch? Too old? Too new? Didn't taste green just really bland.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Tasted at the brewery.

To me this is the benchmark US brown porter. While it may not compete with the great British porters, it is none the less the standard by which all US newcomers are judged.
First pour is quite dark, a rich and slightly ruby brown with an excellent tan lace that clings to the glass. The aroma leads with roasted malt and a touch of sweetness. Initial impression on the tongue is one of smoothness. A nice medium bodied but none the less luxurious smoothness followed immediately by a strong and slightly crisp/acid roasted malt flavour, with a solid foundation of hops, dark roast coffee and yeast. Perhaps its best attribute is the aftertaste - a wonderful long slow fade to black of caramel, grain and esthers.

Dramatically better on tap.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

With all that I have heard about this beer I expected it to be the second coming of porters but I was a little let down. This beer is very dark, even when held up to the light. My sample had a thin tannish head and aromas of roasted barley were very faint. The roasted flavors were not the typical coffeish roasted flavors that I am used to in a porter and it dominated over the chocolate flavors. The flavors were prodominately up front and lost its zest as you swallowed. Mouthfeel was a bit thin and the finish was kind of watery but I bet this lends to being a great session beer. I would like to try the bottle version before I pass too much judgement of this beer.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Beautiful.

The dark brown tinge of this brew is well complimented by the creamy, tan head. The smell is actually subtle and non-invasive, just a note of citrusy, malty goodness.

The flavor of the Black Butte Porter is a definate two thumbs up. The nice choco-toasty, bittersweet-burnt flavor is so unbelievably enjoyable...I don't think I can drink just one. It starts off smooth in the mouth and finishes like silk. It's not overly sweet nor is it overly hoppy...both characteristics compliment each other in a nice marriage of beer traits. Very well-balanced, very straight-forward and upfront in the flavor department.

I highly recommend this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

The bottled version is definitely a lot creamier than the tap version. All flavors are more subdued as well making it rank a little lower in my book. Sweetness is a little more noticeable as the chocolate and burnt flavors are not masking it as much. Still a fantastic brew and well worth picking up.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Though I consider myself a beer drinker, and beer lover, I know almost nothing about the nomenclature for it's description, and very little about the brewing process. I volunteer this so you can use it in evaluating my evaluation of this Black Butte Porter.

I bought it only because I was curious about whether a "Porter" was significantly different than, say, an ale or a stout, both of which I had previously sampled. I had not previously sampled a Porter.

I was pleasantly surprised because the very dark color suggested that I was going to be drinking an English Stout which I find both too sweet *and* too bitter. I find those descriptors mutually exclusive just as we can taste both the jelly, and the peanut butter in the same sandwich.

This "beer" / Porter was surprisingly mild, despite it's alchohol rating of 5.5% by Vol. I closed my eyes for the second half and tried to tell myself that I was drinking an amber Oregon ale and was almost convinced.

End review.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Dense, creamy tan head above a dark ruby brown/mahogany colored body. The head holds fairly well. The aroma shows some fruity notes as well as the anticipated espresso and bitter chocolate. Good mouthfeel... medium bodied, not quite chewy, not quite creamy... honey-like? The flavor is full, expressing slightly sweet dark chocolate with a roasty edge up front, followed by some dark fruit, molasses, and even smoke. Well balanced - not overdone with hop bitterness. Finishes with a light, almost smokey note from the roasted barley. An excellent example of robust porter - distinctive, complex and drinkable.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

I hate to sound like the malt liqour reviewers but this beer simply kicks ass!!! Maybe my favorite porter of all time...coal black with a nice tan lace...great aroma of cocoa, toffee and some slight butterscotch...extremely creamy, slick mouthfeel...medium bodied...some spicy hops on the nose and they also play a very minor part of the taste...a sweeter porter taste-wise and right up my alley... a dandy!!

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

I tried this beer on a recommendation of a friend...all I can say is THANK U Joni. I normally prefer IPA's but this has to rank in my top 5 beers. Unfortunatley I cannot get this beer here in the south. But my friends from Oregon have found a clone recipe, lets hope its even close to the real thing if so I am in heavan.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

I'm almost embarrased to post this review since all you advocates think this is pretty top notch, plus my buddy J.P. says this is the best porter he's had. I will give it another shot, but as of now the taste does not agree with me. it's hard to explain because I do like porter. I guess I prefer the more subtle notes of Anchors porter. Still it's not a toss that's for sure. I promise to try it again... Soon! I have tried it again and you advocates are right. This is a great porter. I find it very refreshing and drinkable

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This porter is fantastic. Black color with a nice heavy body and sweet flavor from the specialty malts make this one of the most well-rounded northwest style porters around. This is definitely one of my top two in this style.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Presentation: 12 oz brown with a simple yet inviting label, purchase before date clearly marked.

Appearance: Very dark brown with a clinging tan lace that seems to stay for a while.

Smell: Mildly sweet in the nose with hints of charcoal, roasted malts and a touch of hops.

Taste: Silky smooth with a nice medium bodied mouth feel. After the luscious mouth feel come the flavour which is quite malty ... light acidic twang from the roasted malts, a little dark roasted coffee flavour and an underlying toasted biscuit taste are balanced with a perfect combo of hop and roasted malt bitterness. The lingering after taste is of faded burnt sugar, drying grain and a slightly warming alcohol. A wonderful yet delicate hop character helps to round this brew also.

Notes: Oh baby! There are good porters and then there are great porters ... this one goes down as a great one, no doubt!

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Almost black, but some light does get through. Sweet toffee, molasses and raisons on the nose. Great aroma. Nice taste. Burnt malt, expresso, roasty bitterness, chocolate and slight smokiness noted. Medium body. Great looking porter. Great smelling porter. Great tasting porter. I would put this in the elite class of porters that I have tried. (Glad they had one bottle left of this at the Coffee Grounds when I passed through Eau Claire a month ago.)

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Phenomenal porter! Medium-heavy bodied, very rich and complex. Coffee, chocolate, smokey woodey notes. Less hoppy than Sierra Nevada's rendering. However, I have to say, this is the superior. Do yourself a favor and give this baby 15 minutes out of the fridge to warm.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

It makes me proud to be an Oregonian. With it's appropriate ritch maltyness and a more agressive hoping than most porters makes this one one of the best around. If you are missing hte great hop presence then you may not be getting it fresh enough. For a real treat make it out to Bend Oregon and try one at the brewery. For us Oregonians Black Butte is usualy the first dark beer we had ever tried. Around here it is every where. Even is the taverns you can find a tap of it beside the bud and millr

firstprev| 1576-1600 | 1601-1625 | 1626-1650  | next → last