Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery

192 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,516 | Ratings: 5,882
4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz bottles into a Guinness stout glass.
Pours dark, with tan head. Nice aroma of malts, chocolate, and what think is a cross between caramel and vanilla. Tastes of light chocolate, and that caramel/vanilla vibe, with a nicely balanced malt shine. A really sweet tasting beer, very smooth, with a nice lingering mouthfeel.

While this beer didn't overwhelm me, it is still a very good tasting beer. I will revisit again, and again...

3.51/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint pub glass - NOT ICE COLD - 45F - 50F

Look is perfect for style. Careful pour produced 2 finger head dissipating to thin pancake. Lacing remains all the way down the glass. Smell is roasted malt, yeast, and dark rum(?). Feel is too smooth (almost nitro-like). Taste is good but nothing stands out. Too well balanced? Too mild. Porter is my favorite style. I was disappointed in this one.

4.91/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. Randomly picked this on the menu at a trendy restaurant in flagstaff AZ. Knocked my Keens off. (Not wearing socks at the time or those would be gone too.)

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The 12 oz. bottle had an "Best before" date of 9/11/16 and came from a 6 pack.

Into a Riedel Ouverture beer glass it poured very dark brown/black. The head was tan and a bit over 1 1/2". It makes a very attractive porter.

The smell was coffee and chocolate.

The taste was coffee with a bit of chocolate and some roasted malt. No real bitterness in the finish that I could detect. It all comes together rather well making it what I would call a well-balanced porter. From beginning to finish the beer is smooth with restrained carbonation.

Overall this porter is very, very good. If you like the coffee more than I do you might say excellent. I've been having it with lunch for a couple of weeks now. I highly recommend this porter.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

APPEARANCE: Very dark brown with a finger of tan head. Leaves a mild lacing down the glass.
AROMA: First thing I get is a floral aroma. Some chocolate and coffee.
TASTE: Chocolate, coffee, and a bit of a tart quality.
FEEL: Average carbonation, medium thin body.
OVERALL: Not crazy about that tartness is this one, maybe if it was a bit thicker and had more of a chocolate bite. Not bad, but I think Bell's porter shits all over this.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark black with beige creamy head. Light roast grain aroma is followed by full on toasted chocolate taste. Medium Mouthfeel and light, mellow palate make this an easy drinker.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the best porters out there, American or British. The color is rich and dark with a lingering tan head that tickles your nose with light coffee, charcoal and roasted grain aromas. The taste is dark roasted smooth with just a breath of hops that finishes off the coffee, cocoa and toasty bread flavor.

Add the great taste to the fair price and generally good availability, and you have a porter that you can keep in your fridge all the time and it will still stand with the best of its type around the world.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Dark brown in color, but not nearly as dark as I would have expected for something called "Black Butte Porter." Similarly, I was expecting a lot of flavor up front (you know, how a butte rises dramatically from the landscape), but the flavor of this is all in the finish. Mild chocolate flavors overscored by roastiness with a dry finish, this lacked the intense character I was really looking for.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle poured into glass stein
A-Black, one finger head with aggressive pour, no lacing.
S-Weak coffee, hint of chocolate, roasted malt
T-Coffee, chocolate, some complexity with both bitter & sweet.
Touch of a mineral like quality

M-Somewhat creamy but also an odd thin almost watery feel common
with many of the Deschutes brews, or maybe it's just me.

O-Easy drinking chocolate coffee porter.

4.98/5  rDev +20%

My first porter was smoother than any Stout I've had. Working in Manhattan, KS we have Tallgrass on tap at our office. I can get Buffalo Sweat and Pale Ale or 8-Bit almost any time on tap. But I love trying the new samplers and found this porter to be my new favorite, even over the Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat. It's not as heavy and has a great taste. Had chocolate with it and was amazed at how it added to the flavor. I think it's my new favorite for sure.

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look (4): Lighter in color then I'm use to, but that's how porters are suppose to be. A brown color with light that shines through and also with a creamy cloudy head. As you drink it the bubbles toe to cling to the edge of the glass.

Smell (3.75): Mild roasty coffee notes. Chocolate and caramel vanilla aroma.

Taste (3.75): Roasted malted smokey coffee flavor. Not to intense, doesn't build past the point of it being unwelcoming. Not overly sweet, but still that sweet bready taste. Maybe raison bread?

Mouthfeel (4.25): Beautiful balanced. Not overly sweet upfront, good dryness at the end. Creamy and smooth. Light plus to medium bodied.

Overall (4): There's a reason why this has been a flagship for Deschutes for so long. Thanks guys for this amazingly balanced brew!

4.91/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer's head is three fingers thick, with solid lacing, and an otherworldly dark brown body.

Smells like subtle yet pleasant notes of milk chocolate and dare I say,cappuccino? Please let me know if I'm insane for thinking its that and not just the garden variety"coffee" I and all of you have used to describe porters and stouts countless times. But if I am insane for thinking that,yes, this DOES smell like cappuccino, then please let me see what this tastes like before I'm in a straightjacket....

I taste semisweet chocolate, roasted malts, and, yep, muthafuckin' cappuccino! If I get taken away for being a complete loon for thinking such outrageous-ness, please let me have a few of these once in a while.

The mouthfeel I'm picking up is medium-heavy and velvety smooth. Very light on the carbonation;as a porter should be.

Overall, I'll choose to rate Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery with a very well-deserved 4.75. Please try to pick this up while in the "porter mood".

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From my home state which I am biased towards as we have some of the best and most creative brewers in the US of A. This is my favorite beer for almost any occasion. I is a slightly sweet bold porter with nice aroma and good after-taste. You can find it almost anywhere in the northwest, so it is very available. I find that a 12 oz. bottle goes down very easy, which I find as a sign that the beer is very drinkable. one of my 10 best beers.Clean, rich taste. Creamy flavor. Nice smell.
I wonder how this beer would taste if they nitro'ed it?

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

BBD 5/7/16. Pours black. World class head volume, lacing and retention.

Quite outstanding nose of chocolate, caramel, light roast and even lighter hops over a sweet base that has char notes.

Very light medium body that is smooth and has a light subtle creamy aspect. Superb carbonation level with a tickling middle effervescence that fades to the final burst in the finish.

The flavor profile is outstanding. Intensity is a bit laid back, complexity average and balance is superb. Flavors of the nose all appear - roast and char lead then flow into the sweeter mid-flavors of caramel and chocolate. Hops begin to shine in the middle against a light bitterness in a very unique way - earthy hops become the dominate flavor through the slow fading finish with a complimentary roast note.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap. Very nice back chocolate coffee look. Taste was of chocolte and coffee. Really enjoyed this. Is one of the better coffee porters I have had. Will be drinking this again.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: Very dark with just a hint of light coming through. Decent head, has some retention.

S: Roasted malts are the dominant smell. Has an underlying sweetness though.

T: That underlying sweetness really comes out in force. Not a sugary sweet or anything, but a sweetness that reminds me of sweetbread, probably because it compliments the roasted malts so well. Has s nice flair of bitterness at the end.

F: Medium body. Could drink it quick if you're not paying attention and trying to take it slow.

O: Not a complex porter but has the fundamentals down perfect and isn't that what really matters when it comes to a good beer?

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've only been recently getting into "decent" beers - and have been favoring darker beers recently. Picked up a 6-pack of these to try over the weekend. I'm thoroughly impressed. Damn good beer.

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a classic American Porter, and the standard as far as I am concerned. Great all around, including value, and one of the beers credited for my love of craft beer and specifically the style. Cheers!

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice clear dark brown pour that lets a little light through. Little bit of lacing left behind. The smell is amazing roasted malts that reek of coffee and chocolate. There is a nice sweetness in the nose as well. The taste is a superbly balanced medley of coffee, make malt sweetness and bitter chocolate. There is a bitter coffee aftertaste that balances the lingering sweetness. This is a really great porter.

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a stone glass.Smell is a chocolate smell.Taste chocolate with coffee.I liked it very much.Nice smooth taste that went down real easy.This is my first Deschutes but it will not be the last.Give it a try.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

First had poured from 12-oz. bottle, stamped best by "07/25/2016," into tumbler. Was rather surprised I had not tried before, but this early effort to revitalize the style is holding up well against the onslaught of porters in recent years.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a dark brown with ruby hint in the light, big and fluffy off-white head.
S- Chocolate, sweet dark roasted malts, coffee
T- Bitter chocolate and coffee, roasted malts balance well with the light, but well-done hop character.
M- Medium body, silky yet highly drinkable, mild carbonation, finishes a bit dry.
O- One of the best porters I've ever had. Clean and pure through and through.

One of the better porters out there. Very dark with a thin off-white head. The flavor is what sets Black Butte apart; a hint of the smoky/toasty malt, but only a hint. Dark and smooth. One of my favorites of the style.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at local bar, poured into tall pilsner glass. Created a thick milk chocolate head on top of a very dark brown body. Light roast, not very sweet, some chocolate hint, malt. Overall smooth flavor. A little light on the body. This one would fit the gap I sometimes experience when I want a nice stout, but wish I had Something a little lighter for a session. Should do the trick nicely.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Deschutes Brewery - Black Butte Porter. 5.2% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into snifter. Best by 5/31/16.

Look: Settles pitch black, with some light brown highlights in the light. Thick, creamy one finger tan head from aggressive pour, which settles into thick lacing.

Smell: Some toasty coffee, dark chocolate, and dark fruits like raspberries and black cherries.

Feel: Medium to light body, fairly carbonated.

Taste: Bitter roast coffee up front, with some hints of bitter chocolate and dark fruit backing it. Leaves a smoky sweetness on the aftertaste.

Overall: This was pretty good, I can see where it gets the good ratings. Great roast and smoky characteristics with prominent coffee flavors.

Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery