Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery

Ratings: 6,123 |  Reviews: 1,568

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Poured into a snifter and a 1 inch head sat atop the dark, dark brown porter. The tan colored head slowly dissipated into a thin ring of bubbles.

Aroma - No hops, just malts; chocolate, hint of coffee, roasted malts/grains.

Taste - Chocolate, roasted grains, slight coffee flavors. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, heavy carbonation, slight stickiness. Smooth across the tongue.

Overall - An excellent porter. I know its highly rated, but I would still put Founders Porter and Edmund Fitzgerald ahead of this one.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

I am quite happy that Deschutes has begun making its way into Pennsylvania and especially into The Friendly Greek, whose coolers are always a source of inspiration for me.

From the bottle: "Ahh, our creamy, contrary flagship, a dark zig to the usual zag."; "Join us. Outside-the-lines is the very best place to play."; "Crafted for explorers"; "Everywhere since 1988"; "An opening volley, this pioneering dark ale signaled Deschutes' renegade intentions. Its creamy mouthfeel, complex layers, hop edge and chocolate finish personify passion-forward brewing."; "Family & Employee Owned Since 1988"; "Profile - Notes of rich chocolate and coffee, a luscious creaminess and a roasted finish."; "Bottle Conditioned for Quality [-] Live yeast added to the bottle allows this beer to age gracefully and stay fresher, longer. Keep bottles upright, and away from light & heat."; "IBUs [:] 30".

I was anxious to get started so I went with a heavy-handed aggro pour. This set up a pseudo-cascade that eventually settled into three fingers of dense, light-tan head that was steadily offgassing. Color was a deep, dark-brown with ruby highlights at the edges (SRM = 44). Nose had a roasty, dark chocolate quality along with a light smokiness. I always think of my late Pops' affinity for Hershey's Special Dark chocolate when I encounter such beers. I would eschew them in favor of sweeter stuff as a kid, but now I gravitate towards bitter or semi-sweet. Mouthfeel was big and creamy, like a scoop of ice cream on the tongue. The flavor was very chocolaty, but dark and roasty at the same time. Man, no wonder this is so highly rated! American Porters can be all over the map, but this was straight-on porter, not bbl.-aged or with wild adjuncts that meld into the style nicely, but get in the way of the base flavors. I have really enjoyed the flavors in this beer to the point that half of it is already gone and without my realizing it! Finish was semi-dry, with the smokiness really taking the edge off of the sweetness at the beginning. I will now dedicate this review to Mom-Za, who lives in Chico (Butte County), California.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%