Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery

192 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Ratings: 6,169 |  Reviews: 1,582

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First beer I've tried from Deschutes as it just recently became available in the Louisville KY market. Since it's been cold like a bastard, I was in the mood for either a porter or a stout so when I spied these I decided to try em out.

Appearance: Dark but not black, looks to be at what I would consider medium carbonation, poured from bottle to glass, light head dissipated into light lacing on top.

Smell: Slightly sweet chocolaty malt, but not overwhelming .

Taste: Balanced very nicely between malt & hops, with a bit malt forward. Have no idea what hops were used, but with this style that's probably what you want.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, no lingering negatives, very clean feel but not watery, nice body and finish and oh look it's almost gone so very drinkable.

Overall: I would say I picked out a good one for my first time having anything from Deschutes, It absolutely met what I was looking for.

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 650 ml bottle to a pint glass.

A: deep brown but not quite black in color, with a nice two finger head that stays longer than I would have expected. When it does break you find yourself looking at a thin cap of foam and nice lacing.

S: roasted malt, roasted coffee, dark chocolate and a bit of dark fruit.

T: the roasts come through... Malts and coffee, then there is a fruitiness that comes... Dark fruits, prunes maybe.

M: light and smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: this is the third bottle of this beer that I have enjoyed. What I find really interesting is although all three were purchased at the same time all three have had a different paste and feel. By a long shot this bottle was the most satisfying. I really enjoyed the flavor of this beer, and I have to say that the way it finished was really enjoyable. As with many porters, I found it got better as it warmed slightly. I can only hope this comes back to my area soon.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.91/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This may be my new favorite winter beer ever. It is malty without being cloying, robust without being overwhelming, and just tastes damn good. Chocolate, coffee... all those good things are present and the smell and taste are in near perfect alignment. I only gave a few lower than 5 ratings because there mut be something I'm missing... it's just too perfect. I must say, it's wonderful to not be kicked in the tongue with excessive hopping, too. I will buy this often.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%