Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery

192 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Ratings: 6,083 |  Reviews: 1,560

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

I poured this black beaut-y at about 55 degrees F into a standard pint and she poured such a lovely dark brown to black with a full one finger creamy khaki head that lasts as a thick ring and thin cap and leaves leopard skin lacing on the glass. SEXY!

I'm not even going to read what those folks on BA are saying. The first guy on there mentions strong citrus. LOL

Sorry, I don't smell any citrus but what I do smell is roasted and chocolate malts with hints of vanilla, a bready yeast and some hop acidity. It's freaking brilliant! As a matter of fact, I take that back, after sounding like an ass in lambasting the citrus comment, one could make out that hop acidity as that! I'm a turd.

I taste heaven in a glass. Toasted chocolate malts and vanilla dance with a very mild wood smoke flavor and bready yeastness and finish finally with a mild and earthy dry hop taste that begs your elbow to again bend and bring that glass to your lips, your tongue and drink in this black beauty.

Now let me talk about how sweet her body is! She is a medium to full bodied beer thinner than some but with creamy sweet hips making her much easier to drink than some that would kill you with candy and she has kept a bit of the dry sense of English humor as an homage. I'm in love. Playful yet not bubbly, what else could you want in a dark lady like her?

I had to excuse myself for a minute there and have a cigarette. Overall, I would recommend her to everyone, but would be totally jealous and want to keep her for my own as she is a world class beauty! Solid and dependable. I have missed my Black Butte-y!

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

it took me some convincing from the locals and several itinerant beer drinkers around Bend to finally give this a go - took me drinking the stuff 2 or 3 times before I really caught on to how good a porter this is

A: very dark brown liquid with burgundy highlights.... somewhat spongy off-white foam, sticks to the glass fairly well, keeps a medium-thick collar

S: mostly the deep roast of the chocolate malt matched with a mineral water quality... mild citrus peel pungency in hops, swimming in a sea of vaguely-herbal (or old licorice?), molasses-y malt

T: all about the dark-malty richness.... subtle, clean bitterness, dark grape esters, complex interplay of dark-roasted flavors imparted from the chocolate and crystal (and also from the yeast, if they're in fact using the yeast I've read they use - Ringwood)

M: threat of molasses-y viscosity - it does seem to have a swell mid-sip... in the end, the silky-sweet malt body is just about perfectly supple, clean, and smooth.... perhaps a passing feeling of graininess on the edges, but I'd imagine that's attributable to the hop and roast bitterness... has substance and drinkability in tandem

O: sadly, I didn't have another one - seems like there was more to discover.... pretty solid recipe and execution.... until next time....

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Dark black, one finger of mocha head retained for a while

S- Chocolate, roasted malts, little floral hops

T- Dark earthy chocolate, hints of fruit, espresso, roasted malts in the back, little bitterness

M- Medium bodied, mild carbonation, very creamy

O- Very easy drinking porter, lots of flavor but simple, good balance

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into pint glass. Served at 50 degrees.

Appearance - dark brown with off-white head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing.

Aroma - dark malt, chocolate, and hoppy bitterness.

Taste - great balance between malt and hops. A well crafted brew.

Mouthfeel - medium body with lively carbonation.

Overall - a great porter, I will seek this one out again.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%