Black Butte Porter | Deschutes Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

firstprev| 6201-6225 | 6226-6250 | 6251-6275  | next → last
Ratings: 6,257 |  Reviews: 1,597
4.68/5  rDev +12%

I tried this beer on a recommendation of a friend...all I can say is THANK U Joni. I normally prefer IPA's but this has to rank in my top 5 beers. Unfortunatley I cannot get this beer here in the south. But my friends from Oregon have found a clone recipe, lets hope its even close to the real thing if so I am in heavan.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

I'm almost embarrased to post this review since all you advocates think this is pretty top notch, plus my buddy J.P. says this is the best porter he's had. I will give it another shot, but as of now the taste does not agree with me. it's hard to explain because I do like porter. I guess I prefer the more subtle notes of Anchors porter. Still it's not a toss that's for sure. I promise to try it again... Soon! I have tried it again and you advocates are right. This is a great porter. I find it very refreshing and drinkable

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This porter is fantastic. Black color with a nice heavy body and sweet flavor from the specialty malts make this one of the most well-rounded northwest style porters around. This is definitely one of my top two in this style.

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Presentation: 12 oz brown with a simple yet inviting label, purchase before date clearly marked.

Appearance: Very dark brown with a clinging tan lace that seems to stay for a while.

Smell: Mildly sweet in the nose with hints of charcoal, roasted malts and a touch of hops.

Taste: Silky smooth with a nice medium bodied mouth feel. After the luscious mouth feel come the flavour which is quite malty ... light acidic twang from the roasted malts, a little dark roasted coffee flavour and an underlying toasted biscuit taste are balanced with a perfect combo of hop and roasted malt bitterness. The lingering after taste is of faded burnt sugar, drying grain and a slightly warming alcohol. A wonderful yet delicate hop character helps to round this brew also.

Notes: Oh baby! There are good porters and then there are great porters ... this one goes down as a great one, no doubt!

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Almost black, but some light does get through. Sweet toffee, molasses and raisons on the nose. Great aroma. Nice taste. Burnt malt, expresso, roasty bitterness, chocolate and slight smokiness noted. Medium body. Great looking porter. Great smelling porter. Great tasting porter. I would put this in the elite class of porters that I have tried. (Glad they had one bottle left of this at the Coffee Grounds when I passed through Eau Claire a month ago.)

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Phenomenal porter! Medium-heavy bodied, very rich and complex. Coffee, chocolate, smokey woodey notes. Less hoppy than Sierra Nevada's rendering. However, I have to say, this is the superior. Do yourself a favor and give this baby 15 minutes out of the fridge to warm.

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%

It makes me proud to be an Oregonian. With it's appropriate ritch maltyness and a more agressive hoping than most porters makes this one one of the best around. If you are missing hte great hop presence then you may not be getting it fresh enough. For a real treat make it out to Bend Oregon and try one at the brewery. For us Oregonians Black Butte is usualy the first dark beer we had ever tried. Around here it is every where. Even is the taverns you can find a tap of it beside the bud and millr

firstprev| 6201-6225 | 6226-6250 | 6251-6275  | next → last