1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Jubelale | Deschutes Brewery

Availability: Fall

Available: October to December
Alc. by Vol.: 6.7%
IBUs: 60

Cocoa, dried fruit, and toffee notes. A robust ale with a warming spice.

Bottle conditioned for quality. Live yeast added to the bottle allows this beer to age gracefully and stay fresher, longer. Keep bottles upright, and away from light & heat.

216 calories per 12 oz serving

Label artwork changes annually.

Ratings: 2,874 |  Reviews: 955
3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

A- This brew pours a a relatively clear deep deep red color, with brownish/coppery undertones when held up against light. The head is very impressive, that being a 3-4 finger thick puffball of light tan colored foam and by the way, this has most excellent retention qualities! The lacing is equally impressive, with a very uniform layer of sticky protein laced goodness clinging mightily to the inside of my glass. The carbonation is just a little to hard to see so I cannot comment on this....overall however, this beer is a winner in the appearance department!

S- I actually find the aromas quite mild in general....I do get some deep, yet mellow at the same time, malt sweetness (toffee/caramel), perhaps some orchard fruit and muted spicy hop bitterness. I am really trying hard here to smell something here but am quite disappointed....

T- The flavors are more prominent than the aromas let on, with more toffee and/or caramel malt sweetness, some mild roasted grain character, dried fruit quality (fig/prune come to mind), some muted winter baking spices and a finish that shows up the most on the palate.....decent hopped bitterness that lingers on the palate. I find the alcohol noticeable throughout and it leaves a bit of a metallic taste in my mouth. Meh....

M/O- Solid medium body and relatively creamy carbonation throughout, this glides over the palate in smooth fashion. I find this more of a robust EPA style beer and it doesn't live up to what I was expecting. It's not a bad beer, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for it again. Underwhelming to say the least, and if this was branded as an EPA style I would be all over it, but again, this isn't very much of the style I was hoping to enjoy. Definitely an underachieving brew from Deschutes....

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tried this while travelling in Oregon. I've had other stuff by this company and enjoyed it quite a bit. I went in knowing nothing about this particular beer.

On the nose it smelled good, but nothing too exciting. Going off the nose I was expecting it to taste like an every day pale ale...but then it poured out rather dark, then surprised me even more on taste. I realized I was way off. Pretty balanced between sweet and bitter, maybe leaning towards sweet. Rich tasting, mostly reminds me of fruit preserves, maybe fig in particular? It kind of reminds me of some of the sweeter porters I've had maybe, without the ashy burnt taste that porters make me think of sometimes. After drinking it awhile, I'm even tasting something that reminds me of oolong tea. Good beer, I'd totally drink it again.

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours an enchanting ruby/copper color with a faintly peach colored head. Lots of visible carbonation and good lacing/retention of the head.
Smells of cherrys and toffee. Some heavy malt, almost biscuity bits.
Taste is lightly crackery up front with a flat vegetal bitterness. A sweet cherry and raisin, along with light spice, round out the flavor. The sweet fruitier flavors open up a good bit as this warms.
Mouthfeel is light and smooth. Very drinkable.
Overall this is a decent beer and I assume nice representation of the style. It's smooth and easy drinking but the flavors are a little out of balance for my wishes. The sweetness and bitterness don't blend as well as I'd like giving me a sharp up front flavor with nothing lingering to balance the slightly cloying sweetness.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Dark brown with a ruby tinge, little carbonation and 3 fingers of beige head.

Smells of malts, toffee and toasted malts.

Tastes of toffee, caramel, toasted malts, and hints of cocoa. It ends with a light bitterness.

Medium, rich body with little carbonation.

I got this in Sacramento, and I am enjoying it in Redding, Jan 8th, 2019.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

I was a little disappointed. It is a little heavy, and warms the face like a winter warmer should. From the pour and the nose, I am expecting a sweet, smooth experience. The carbonation is about right, but it doesn’t deliver on the sweetness you smell. The spices are hidden, and the caramel nose is overpowered by either a juniper berry, or pine needle harshness. It’s a decent ale, just a little to hoppy, and not quite enough happy.

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours near black.
Taste is Black & Caramel malt. Syrupy, sweet.
Booziness is not the limiter here.........malt sweetness is.

Okay for a seasonal toast.

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On nitro at the Roanoke Tasting Room
Dark clear amber with amazing nitro head and lacing
Light ginger, cocoa, fig, light char aroma
Tastes are hop bitterness, nutty, light ginger, cherry, coffee
Light body, bitter finish, strong lasting head, no alcohol burn
Nice flavor combination, good match with nitro.

3.59/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful dark red color. Very creamy, tan head that persisted for quite awhile. Smells hoppy with a touch of yeast and malt. Low carbonation and a silky mouth feel. First taste is like bittersweet chocolate and then a hops bitter finish. Left a hops taste in my mouth but not overly bitter. I detect just a slight spice, very minimal. Very easy to drink. Overall not bad, but I was hoping for a little more Christmas.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Deep copper/red coloring, decent head and haphazard lacing.

Dark fruit in the nose, with whiff of alcohol, brandy.

Taste follows the nose for the most part. I taste fig, dark cherries and sugar malt, that generates some dryness. A bit of a sipper for it's lowish ABV. A brief - again sweet finish with some warmth. Was not fond of the high carbonation which took away any smoothness.

Ok winter brew that hits on a enough marks, but has little special to offer.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Jubelale from Deschutes Brewery