Hop Trip (Bond Street Series) | Deschutes Brewery

Hop Trip (Bond Street Series)Hop Trip (Bond Street Series)

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Fall

Added by TheBungyo on 10-08-2005

Reviews: 478 | Ratings: 1,298
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

I got this bottle from Tayner. Thanks!

I poured it into a hurricane glass. Yeah, it's not the right glass, but this is what I had on hand. I got a 2 inch head on this thing and am looking at a cloudy burnt orange beer. Smells all sweet and spicy. Not a lot of hop nose, but it's there. This beer is well-balanced. Not a hop monster and not a malty mess. Just right. Buy this if you see it. Goes down smooth and makes for a nice drinking beer.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

Served from a brown bomber into a Boston Lager glass.

Pours hazy orange, looks a lot like an IPA vs an APA. Decent off white head persists for a while but doesn't leave any lacing.

Aroma is woody and spicy, with some honey malt sweetness.

Flavor is sweet and honey-like with a hint of sourness and breadiness. Hint of higher alcohol, a bit homebrew-like.

Mouthfeel is smooth and only lightly bittered with a sour aftertaste.

Drinkability is good, it goes down easy. Not an outstanding beer in a highly competitive category.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a big thanks to lifeisgood for the opportunity to try this beer from the LIF she won.

the beer pours an orangish color with tons of creamy tan head. the smell is very sweet and hoppy. i also detect a floral character to it as well as banana. the hop bitterness of this beer is not overwhealming and the malty sweetness is much more than i expected in a fresh hop beer. the taste is citrusy and i also detect honey maybe? the mouthfeel is medium but fluffy. this is an awesome beer i could easily drink several of and would seek out.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

I was blown away by how good this pale ale was. It was damn good for a pale ale. I've tried this 4 times now since the beer came out and I'm amazed that it hasn't lost any of its hop flavor yet.

It pours a golden/brown standard pale ale color. It has some tall fluffy white head that laces the glass very nicely. Decent retention as well.

The smell is very hoppy, like so many of the harvest ales or wet hopped ales that I've tried are. The hop smell is very citrusy and reminds me of orange. There is also some sugary sweet smells coming out of the glass.

The flavor is sweet and hoppy. Great balance and combination. Very sugary and sticky as well as a little bitterness and lots of hop flavor. The hop flavor is a bit more piney than the aroma suggests but that doesn't take away from the overall experience, just surprising.

This beer is one of the better pale ales I've ever had, up there with the sierra nevada pale ale and the widmer 07 pale.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Golden yellow-brown, thick, sticky white head, about 2 fingers, excellent sticky lacing from the hops. Head slowly fades to a decent halo, lasting the whole beer.

S- This ale has an amazing nose, full of hops...Piney/astringent, grapefruit, fresh flowers, fresh hops, grass, citrus...some buried malt quality, a little toasted sweetness.

T- Very crisp, astringent, acidic, refreshing. A very clean ale with a warm, fresh and clean hop palate. Comes on like honeysuckle, pale malt, fresh hop cones, pine, grass, grapefruit, and finishes clean and dry. Through and though an amazingly well balanced and quite complex hop profile.

M- Acidic, crisp, cleansing, biting, refreshing. Fills the gills and leaves the mouth both sticky and dry.

D- An excellent and highly recommended beer, esp. for warm days and with company.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Acquired from joshd, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color, with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of piney hops, caramelized malts and fruity citrus.

T: The taste starts with a strong burst of fruity citrus sweetness and a little bit of caramel. Then a decent hops presence comes in. The malt character is thin but provides some balance. The after-taste is sweet and a little hoppy.

M: Smooth and crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a nice beer that I could drink for a long time.

4.52/5  rDev +10%

I received this from tayner in a trade nearly two months ago; I figured it was about time I got around to drinking. I'm happy and sad now that it is gone. Happy I had it because it was great and sad because I probably won't get it again until the fall, if even then.

Pour from a bomber into a Sly Fox pint glass.

A - Copper colored bordering on amber with some orange tint to it. It was a little hazy after the pour with a finger or so of head. All but thin layer of the head dissipated but there was lots of lacing as I drank away.

S - From the bottle the smell was great. A mix of citrus, floral and with a deep inhale you can catch some grassy and piney, which I thought would be more being a fresh hop beer.

T - Overall taste was fantastic. The tastes ran the whole gamut - starts in the mouth a little malty and grainy, but a great finish with a good bitter/dry kick. Not like an IPA but exactly the right amount in my opinion for this beer.

M - Light to medium, but that's what you looking for in a APA. Good carbonation tingles the tongue just enough. Generally smooth, but some of the hop oils remain as others have mentioned.

D - I could easily drink a couple of these in one night if not more. I wish I could get my hands on this beer on a regular basis. I will keep this one my wants in hopes of getting more down the road.

Thanks again tayner!!

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Poured into a nonic pint glass. Color is a beautiful, clear copper amber with a two-finger head of dense, rollicking foam. Retention and lacing were both exceptional.

Smell: Flowers, hops, citrus (especially orange) and pine.

Taste: A rich, golden malt flavor that is expertly accented by, but never overpowered by, fresh floral hop essence. Hints of clover honey. Each sip is rewarded with a short, mildly sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, refreshing, mildly crisp, smooth and creamy with nary a hint of bitterness.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: I'm very much enjoying this beer, and could easily drink several bottles in a session. At only 5.5% ABV, this isn't nearly as strong as many highly hopped offerings. For the amount of fresh hops that are in this beer, they are really balanced out well. I wish this was available in our area, as I would certainly drink it more often. I hope it is still available next autumn.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

I've had this bottle sitting for a few months and thought this nice sunny day was as good as any to go ahead and pop it open.

A: Light brown, but mostly orange and clear. A thick foamy and uneven head leaves my glass laced.

S: Immediate hops aroma, lightly floral and hint of apple.

T: Mellow malts, slight hop bitterness, and faint citrus.

M: Very smooth like a clearance velvet vest. Hop bitterness is just enough to let you know it was there.

D: A nice departure from your everyday pale ale. I could enjoy a couple of these on occasion.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Rocky, 2 finger head. Lacing. Beautiful colors... sunset orange.

S - Flowery, perfumey hoppiness. Slightly sweet undertone.

T - Slightly weaker than anticipating. A lot sweeter than expected as well. Tastes like grass and... I detect almost a melon aftertaste. Not bitter, nor lingering. Well-balanced.

M - I would like it to be slightly crisper. It seems a little too undercarbonated, which isn't a bad thing, just a preference.

D - I could see this being extremely easy drinking. It's abv is right on, and there's nothing that would remotely stand in your way in terms of taste.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow. Having acquired a distinct taste for the products of Deschutes in my time in Hawaii (it's the best-distributed West Coast craft beer in the islands), I've been waiting for this beer with great anticipation since this fall, when I first read (on this website) of its brewing and release. I must say that this bottle of Hop Trip, my first, lives up to my expectations.

Note that, as this beer's magical powers were attributed to the freshness of its hops, I was concerned that drinking it months after its bottling might have affected the quality of the acids and oils. I can not say how this bottle compares to those of prior seasons, though I know from my own brewing that sometimes the beer achieves its ideal blending of flavors months after most of the supply has already been consumed.

I really love this bottle of beer. The malts are classic Deschutes -- much like the Mirror Pond (I'd be surprised if the grain bill were much different), they pay homage to English ale with pronounced caramel and bready characteristics (with a hint of raisin?). The hop aromas and flavors are very well blended with the malt and much more subtle than I was expecting. I don't know what hops they used, but they have a herbal aroma that smells like good cooking. They aren't bitter at all (I wonder if using them fresh affects the longevity of the alpha acids), but have a grassy flavor. There's slight fruit in the palate, like white peach, that balances tart and sweet so that I think it has to emerge from an interaction between the hops and the malts. That's why I love this bottle of beer.

I'll hunt down some other bottles around town and see how they compare. Why is this beer so expensive? $5.75 at Liquor Collection; $9 at Bar 35. :'( I guess the laws of supply and are at work...

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours hazy / cloudy orange to copper with gold and amber inflections. Large, honey-gold head. Bubbly and quick with a bit of cream on top; leaves a couple of thin arcs in the way of lacing. Aroma is rich, full, and heavily citrus-floral with a mellow and cool undertone of honey; mild alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is amazingly juicy and slick, carbonation is fizzy and minimal. Flavor is a nice array of hop varieties on top of bread and cookie malts - fresh and bold but not overwhelming or unbalanced. Orange and tangerine are followed by mellow grapefruit. Finish brings a touch of pine; aftertaste is sweet, mild, and a touch oily.

4.64/5  rDev +12.9%

Had this on-tap, as well as in 22oz bottle. This review is for the bottle serving.

Bottled in the early fall, right as all the hops are being harvested. As the story goes, the Deschutes folks drive up to Yakima and load up their cargo truck full of fresh cut hops.

Wet hops, whole flowers. No pellets or drying is done. These suckers go from the vine to the vat.

Pours a yellow amber hue with a bit of haze. Good head that sticks to the glass side.

Aroma is leafy hops. Citrus and bitter pine. Oranges, tangerines, florals, fresh honey.

Juicy orange and other fruit. Mild pine and spice. The hop oil has a numbness to it, which provides an interesting aftertaste.

THis is a borderline IPA in my book, but just barely lacks the resin-stickiness. One of my top session beers of all time. Planning to grab up a case of this and hold onto until the summer. I would really enjoy this on a camping trip or a hot summer day.

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

What a beautiful beer! Pours a gorgeous hazy orange-copper color with a fluffy white-orange head that has excellent retention and lacing. I've never noticed the head taking on an orange color before in any other beer.

Aromas are very pleasing. Floral hops, sweet biscuit malts. A little bit of citrus, but not as much as others have described. I'm wondering if it's already losing a little bit of hop characters by February.

Tastes are good. In my opinion, this is definitely a special-hopped APA, it doesn't approach the character of most IPAs. Malts are clean and bready, I like the combination.

Mouthfeel is maybe a little creamier and slicker than most APAs. Finish is a little longer, not as clean as some. I like it, but varies a bit from the style.

All in all, a great beer. The whole bomber went down very smooth and pleasing. If it was a bit cheaper, it would definitely qualify as a session beer for me. I hope it comes out again next year.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

poured from 22oz. bottle into a pint glass, thanks to tayner for the trade (drank 2/8/08)

A: Nice golden orange color, pours very cloudy with a 2-finger frothy white head, which immediately begins to leave trickles of sticky lacing.

S: Hoppy! Smells so crisp and refreshing, with loads of orangey citrus scents coupled with notes of floral hops too. A light bready, biscuity malt backbone makes itself known too.

T/M: My initial thought was that this was possibly past its prime, as the flavors were the opposite of the aroma; the malts were right up front. But as I made my way through the bottle, the hops punched through and complemented the malts perfectly, dishing out ample juiciness. The beer isn't as carbonated as I would like, but is very oily and slick, still feels really good in the mouth.

D: This beer was really easy to drink, if I could get it on the east coast, it'd be a regular purchase of mine.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a beautiful orange/red copper color (if that makes sense) from a bomber. Nice white beige/white head that retains itself nicely with a small amount of lacing on the glass. Smell is everything one could want in a fresh hop pale ale. Citrus and floral hop aromas attack my nostrils with the fury of 1,000 dinosaurs. The taste is very good and walks a fine line between IPA and Pale ale. Slightly sweet with a full mouth feel and a nice bitter finish. I'm going to drink this now.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle courtesy of JohnGalt1 in a package from one of my first trades here not too long ago. Coincidentally, my first wet hop beer. Here we go.

The Unibroue tulip sees more work then a truckload full of day workers, so it knows the ropes. I'm sticking with it.

The beer glows like brandy, with a constant flow of beads, & even a few floaters just to make things interesting. The head actually grows from just about nothing, to a good quarter inch over the five minutes I leave it to nuke some leftovers. It stays there too. :o My second helping floats a good inch & a half right on the seam.

A spicy sweetness that reminds me a lot of green peppers & fennel seed. The malt side smells like hard sourdough pretzels. It's sharp, & even smells a little salty.

The taste is insanely leafy along with being lightly peppered. Traditional grapefruit rind is obvious, but a cereal sweetness pinches you cheeks as it swirls around. The aftertaste has a toastiness strikingly similar to Sam Adams Lager, except for the accompanying lingering numbness from all the fresh hop oil that was stripped off the buds.

The bubbles are mild, despite what you see. The oil runoff gets on your tongue on finish. 5.5% feels a little rougher then it should. I would of like it to be more carbonated.

Easy after work beer. Better with food then without. I don't think it's worth the effort, but the freshness is noticeable. :)

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

A- deep shade of orange, rust like, bubbly, good retention on a 1 finger head

S- hoppy, strong grapefruit, leafy

T- toasted malts, leafy hops, soft citrus, hop flavorings throughout

M- smooth and fluffy, near weightless

D- ridiculously drinkable, fantastic mouthfeel, great straightforward & simple flavor, this is a must every year, a definite treat

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Bomber into an o-sized wine glass.

Bottle pitches a bright copper body with a slight iced-tea haze. A small, off-white head retreats to a thin ring of foam (Much better head on the second fill). As for the aroma, pale malts are balanced by a sizable sweet citrus note. Mandarin orange and tangerine, with some florals, too.

The taste delivers a hoppy presence all around, very big on the citrus and pine. A bitter, hoppy-warmth laces the finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a decent carbonation level. Overall, Hop Trip doesn't quite live up to its hype, but for a Pale Ale, it's right behind GD's Fresh Hop.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

22oz Bomber served right out of the fridge and poured into a DFH tapered Pint Glass

A – Poured a very nice and very crystal clear deep orange amber. Very dark color on this one with almost a reddish hue to it. There was ample carbonation apparent in the form of lots of bubble chains streaking toward the surface and building tons of foam across the top. After the pour a large head of white foamy and frothy lace appeared across the top, perhaps as high as three inches before finally settling down to nothing more then a thin layer across the top and tons of side glass lace. A very nice look overall and pretty classic for a fresh hop ale, which the side glass lace being more sticky and strung out as opposed to being more sudsy and foamy.

S – The smell was very rich and fresh, as one would probably expect coming into this one, but it still should be mentioned. Of course the first notes that I picked up were of a nice rich hop presence. Big notes of pine and sugar, not so much heavy on the citrus side, and to be honest there was much more of heavy resiny aroma to it then a large floral display. Very nice grain notes were also becoming very much apparent; bring a good fullness to it. There was an underlying maltiness, almost akin to an amber ale that seemed to be showing its head as well, giving it a bit more character then just a hop ale.

T – The flavor was spot on. Now this was nowhere near one of those hugely bitter, mouth trashing IPA’s with the large IBU count and the deep floral and citrus hop assault. No, this was much more subtle and complex in its approach. Started out with a lot of grain, which might take you for a spin, but don’t worry its coming. Very nice balanced approach here running you through the earthy and cereal like notes. This then rolls over and a nice piney note starts to kick in, subtly at first but then getting stronger as the flavor builds before finally taking over the palate completely and turning into a very nice dry and bitter finish, leaving you there waiting for another sip. Very well done and a nice classic example of the style.

M – This was a good medium to light bodied ale that kept its carbonation profile alive throughout the entire session. There was definitely some oil in the flavor as well, some resiny like notes that really kept the feel a little oil like almost, but to be honest this was kinda nice as you could really taste the freshness of it. Very smooth clean finish with a nice long and dragged out finish that really let the flavors develop over time.

D – Not this was a nice session ale. Clocking in at only 5.5% it was nice to go back to the roots with a nice clean and easy drinking session ale that you could sit back and relax with little difficulty and really enjoy the whole experience. Very nice drinkability, in fact I am kinda upset that I only had the one as I would have really liked to have had another when it was all finished.

Overall this was excellent. I had this on my wants list forever as I really wanted to try it and see how good it was, and it really did not disappoint in the slightest. I was thoroughly impressed with the well balanced approach as well as the freshness that was still obvious, even a few months later. I would look forward to trying this one out again next year for sure.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours hazy copper, with a two-inch white, frothy, head.
The retention lingers, and slowly reveals plenty of webbed lacework.
Aromatics are still fresh and somewhat green.
Plenty of tropical grassyness with some sweet malt to balance.
Powdered mangoe, pineapple, and orange pulp.
Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Carbonation is medium.
The pallet is somewhat tame but incredible drinkable. Alcohol is nonexsistant, and the hops are somewhat subdued. The fruit is great, and the brew is quite dry and snappy.
Peachy and citrus-laden, with light malt and balancing bitterness.
Finishes quick and leaves you wanting more and more.
A pitcher would be gone in no-time with a good pizza.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle obtained on 12/18, had been kept in liquor store fridge before that. First quick impression, this is a really tasty pale ale. I felt like something a little lighter today, not too much alcohol, but nice flavor and this delivers.

Pours a slightly hazy orange, hints of red in there, with a thin white head, even after trying to pour somewhat aggressively nothing really amounted out of the head. Smell is citrusy, but the malt gives a biscuity bit of character too. The taste isn't packed with hops or anything. It has a nice light piny flavor, some citrus twang in there as well. Real juicy. The body is pretty thin, but I actually like that here. I don't want it on the verge of syrupy like an IPA might be.

This is just a really good beer. Almost like a mini Alpha King to me as far as flavor goes.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a caramel color with a thick finger of foam.

Still has a fresh smell of citrus and pine, caramel malt, pineapple, mango, nectarine, peach, and lemons. The hop notes dominate this one and I’m only picking up a few whiffs of sweet malt and caramel.

Taste of wheat flour bread, caramel, mango, ripe peaches, and toast. Very pleasant, well blended and harmonious I would say. A slight bitterness in the finish but not over-the-top and very crisp as well.

The taste and aroma just makes the drinkability higher since it leaves you wanting more after each drink.

Now I wish I hadn’t waited so long to try one of these. Definitely one of the best tasting pale ales I’ve had thus far. I’ll certainly be picking up a few of these next time around.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to mmmmBEEEER for sharing a bottle. This brew is a hazy orange-amber color with a medium off-white head that has decent retention. Stringy lacing. Hops and fruit in the nose, with a touch of pine. Medium-bodied with a soft hops character. Floral and grassy notes as well, plus malt and spice in the background. The finish is moderately hoppy and lingering. Overall this is a tasty and refreshing APA.

3.64/5  rDev -11.4%

Definitely an above average apa.

App: Poured an orange amber with a smallish white head, just a little bit hazy. Carbonation looked ample and the head had decent retention, just a little too much haze in the body.

Smell: Some piney and somewhat citrusy hop character took over the nose. It was a little more complex than I anticipated as the malt background was also evident.

Taste: Again the piney hops with a little bit of citrus (not quite grapefruit) was largely present, but as it warmed many layers of malt came out from biscuity to grainy (like a handful of kilned pale malt). The flavors mixed quite well and the hops always kept up with the changing malt character.

Mouthfeel: I found this to be very balanced with a deep hop bitterness and the sweetness of the malt. The carbonation, which was on the heavy side, took off some of the bitterness. It felt right on the palate.

Drinkability: It tasted good and definitely had great mouthfeel, but with all the other apa's out there, this one didn't stand out to make me want to have more. I'm glad I tried it, but it still is rather average. And because my favorite styles are maltier and darker, this had the regular apa effect of becoming a little boring by the last few sips.

Hop Trip (Bond Street Series) from Deschutes Brewery