Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Inversion IPA | Deschutes Brewery

228 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by Jason on 03-22-2006

Ratings: 3,075 |  Reviews: 860

2.51/5  rDev -35.5%

A= The pour reveils a lovely deep amber color with a huge head on it. The head rises to about three fingers and holds some pretty steady retention on it. It's an off white color.

S= The smell is really light. Much lighter than your average IPA. You do get some hop character to it but not much. Much less hop character than I would expect. There is an underlying clean sort of sweetness to the smell.

T= The taste is also much different than the average IPA. It has a much more prominent hop taste than the smell but the hops taste very medicinal to me for some reason. A lot like some sort of cough syrup that is extremely bitter. There is still the underlying sweetness to it as well but the medicinal taste dominates.

M= A little high on the carbonation and a little too spritzy on the tongue for my taste.

D= Not a bad beer but I would say this is my first dissapointment from deschutes. Not the best IPA for my money

2.59/5  rDev -33.4%

2.64/5  rDev -32.1%

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A little too bitter at the end for me.

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A_Pours a dark amber with a splotchy light head.

S_Slightly toasted bread and caramel are the dominant smells with a vague hop like background odour. Fairly mild but inoffensive.

T_A light sweet caramel malt hits up front. The middle is kind of empty while the finish is generic hop bitterness.

M_Thin bodied with a light carbonation

D_A somewhat empty IPA in flavour and body. There really isn't much to it. This ends up being a vehicle for a bitter aftertaste without good hop flavour.

2.71/5  rDev -30.3%

A: An attractive deep reddish copper color. Moderately clear with a medium to long lasting 1.5" fluffy, cream colored head with nice , moderate lacing.

S: Slight sticky pine smell with a faint citrus. Moderately noticeable alcohol.

T: A slight sweetness with a light piny bitter finish.

M: Sticky smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

D: Though this is a good looking beer with a smooth feel ,I kept finding myself turn to words like slight, moderate and light to modify descriptions. The "Inversion" seems to have left left this sweeter than average, lightly bitter IPA with a moderate to average flavor profile. While very drinkable I don't think I'll be seeking this one out in the future.

2.74/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really looking forward to this beer, the appearance was clean and highly carbonated; promising a great throat burn. A full glass of IPA always excites me as I anticipate a strong snout of herbal hops OR/AND the aftertaste of hops slapping your face like the Three Stooges. I got neither. I consummed the three bottles I had of it while mulling over the paradox of: an IPA without noticeable hops. By the third bottle I was obviously more forgiving - but in the end I would place this in the category of a nice "Belgian Ale".

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Second time I've reviewed this one. First review was a bottle. This one is cask conditioned, served in a pint glass at the Elk Public House in Spokane.

Pours a red mahogany brown color. Nice foamy white head is fairly resilient.

Smell is sweet and sharp. Bourbon-like.

Taste is very bitter and hoppy with a lot of alcohol taste and heat.

Mouthfeel is sharp and a bit cloying.

Not the most drinkable IPA in this form. One of few beers I have found that is better in a bottle than in cask. I'll buy it in a sixer and pass on the cask.

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery