Inversion IPA | Deschutes Brewery

Added by Jason on 03-22-2006

3.9

Ratings: 3,060 |  Reviews: 856
3.71/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Pours a very nice, clear, rich reddish-amber color with a fluffy, two finger, off-white head. Nice head retention and leaves solid lacing.

S - Citrusy aromas with some sweet maltiness in there as well. Definitely has less of the intense hoppy smell that many IPAs seem to have.

T - Fairly complex, well-balanced flavors with a moderate bitterness that hits when you first sip. Includes some "spicy", citrus, and piney hop flavors, as well as some sweet caramel and bread malt flavors. Finishes with a smoother, less bitter aftertaste than a lot of other IPAs.

M - medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Overall a very drinkable offering. A bit sweeter and slightly less of the hop bitterness of many IPAs, which isn't always a bad thing, and seems to be what they were going for with this one.

I like this beer, its an interesting take on the IPA and its complex, different flavor is a nice change every once in a while.

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a deep dark orange and amber. Thick creamy off-white head, dissipates very slowly to a thin white layer. Significant lacing.

Smells of citrus hops, with hints of malt, but not very strong.

Upfront is a strong alcohol taste, followed by bitter hops, and a bitter hop, grapefruit aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is smooth, some carbonation, medium body. A dry finish.

An enjoyable beer for the hop lover. Not one I would drink too many of with a 6.8% abv.

Bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a light honey/amber color. Big three finger off white head. Very nice lacing. Head remains about a half finger through out.

S: Pale malts, vague citrus hops. Not incredibly aromatic.

T: Light malts, somewhat bitter resin and citrus hops.

M: Light bodied, medium carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. Seems like a decent warm weather refreshing beer, but there's nothing pulling me back for another. Rather move on to something more interesting. It could even be a pale ale as opposed to an IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Drank at the Deschutes brewery immediately following the Fresh squeezed IPA.
a-Poured a dark gold color with a light head that had a decent retenion.
s-A balanced smell with a citrus smell taking the lead, followed by a slight sweetness.
t-A very nice initial hop burst that fills the mouth and has a bitter sweet taste towards the end of the drink.
m/d-Medium body that leaves a well carbonated hoppy and bitter combination feel. A nice drinker that I enjoyed.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks to fartingdog for including this in a recent trade.

Pours a clear amber, with a nice copper sheen to it, and several fingers of frothy looking off-white head. Retains into a big, creamy dollop of foam that leaves just a MASSIVE latticework of sticky lacing back. The aroma is earthy, spicy, herbal, and floral with a deep underlying tang of bready malts, citrus, and caramel sweetness. I'm also picking up the slightest waft of warmth that throws this off a touch.

The taste starts with a softer feeling hop profile that is herbal and earthy with some dry and lingering spicy notes. This is set against a sticky feeling backbone of bready malt, caramel, and light tropical fruits. There a nice mix of action going on here and it stays well balanced. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lower feeling carbonation but still has a relatively easy feel to it. Unfortunately, I'm picking up just a bit too much warmth, which mixes with the herbal notes and bitterness to give off the slightest bit of a medicinal feel.

You know, I like what Deschutes does with their staple IPA from a flavor standpoint. Herbal and earthy hops interwoven into a profile that is a bit complex and well balanced, leaving the bigger West Coast hop bombs flavors to their seasonals. I just wish that those flavors did a better job of convering up some of the heat in this, which definitely hurt the feel and drinkibility for me. Dial that ABV back a bit and I would have enjoyed this tons.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The first sip of this beer brought me a lot of typical citrus notes from the hops. I experienced some slight sweetness from the malt which was followed by pine-bitterness from the hops. The mouthfeel was medium bodied. The head was a off faint khaki color about an finger worth. It smelled of citrus, and slight bread notes from the malt. I purchased this on a whim after deciding to put back their obsidian stout which I like. I figured i'd try something else from the brewery. Overall, I am not disappointed. I can't say I would go out of my my way to get another sixer of this, but it will be on my mind when in a pinch, given that it was 7.99 at the store. I would recommend this to those who are looking for a session IPA that still want hops, but not too much and would rather not have a lower tier ipa (i.e. long hammer, etc.) The 6.8 abv puts it a slight notch above your standard session brew, so beware of that.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance- cloudy burnt orange with a dirty white head. Good lacing. 4/5

Smell- Grassy hops with a caramel backbone. 3.5/5

Taste- The hop flavor is more on the piney side than the aroma would indicate. Still some grassyness to it as well. Malt is apparent in the end as well as lots of bitterness. 4/5

Mouthfeel- The malt backbone gives this beer a little more weight than I would prefer. 3.5/5

Overall- Decent IPA. Nothing spectacular about it though. I would prefer it to be a little "cleaner" tasting. 3.5/5

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Very small head, slighly cloudy amber in color, cloudiness could be due to the cold temperature, but after a few minutes hasnt cleared up any. Bit of a citrusy smell. Taste very bitter. Not quite what I look for in an IPA, but it's still good to enjoy slowly. 6.8% abv. Ahh... now I see on the bottle "Best by 12/23/06". I may have to find a fresher bottle, or perhaps get out to Bend and try it on tap.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Deschutes Inversion IPA: This IPA is more of a Double IPA style. The head is off-white, and the body a deep dark color, more reminiscent of a Double. There is some hop to the aroma, but it is not strong. The flavor is very thick in malt all the way through, with a hoppy bitterness rising toward the end. Again, to me this is more of a Double IPA, and I prefer lighter IPA’s with more sparkle.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

a: This one is a clear golden amber color. It pours with a big creamy white head that is long lasting.

s: Strong hop aromas that are both piny and citric. Some brown sugar and berries as well.

t: Big flavors that border on a DIPA here. Strong malt profile that has a rough apple sweetness to it. Hop finish has a balance of grapefruit and pine. The alcohol is noticeable.

m: Sticky and resiny with good carbonation.

d: A very generous JohnGalt1 tossed this delicious IPA in as an extra. I wish these guys were local.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

I obviously got a stale bottle of this beer as the rest that I have tried have been a much better experience. Let's give a fresher example a proper review:

Appearance: Pours a clear red amber color with a 1/2" head of solid fluffy tan foam after an aggressive pour. The head is slowly fading and there are many bubbles rising to the top. A few minutes after the pour, there is still over 1/4" of active foam on top of the beer, and it is leaving a nice trail of lace ofter drinking and swirling. This is a nice looking beer, no doubt.

Aroma: The aroma is mostly of hops with a little bit of sweet caramel in there to keep you guessing. There are some toasty notes in there also. The alcohol is coming out a bit as it warms to accentuate the hops and make the beer rather prickly on the nose.

Taste: The flavor starts out dominated by the hops and then the malt makes a bit of a reserved showing until the hops take back over again for the finish. The finish is a little on the harsh side, and I don't know if that is the water mixing with the hops or what. I assume that is what it is, but the alcohol comes in at the wrong time and dries out the finish even more. The beer is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation, and this really helps it be more drinkable.

Opinion: Now I think that this is a pretty decent IPA. The last one I had was obviously old. That said, the bitter balance of the hops is a little on the high side for my taste and the alcohol sets in as the hops are playing about the back of the throat so that the finish is not all that pleasant. This beer would, I'm sure, appeal to a lot of people that like the hoppier side of the spectrum while still having substance. As for me, I prefer other IPA's more.

My Original Review - Aug 5, 2008
App = 3.5
Sml = 4.0
Tst = 3.0
Mth = 2.5
Ovl = 2.5

Total = 3.08

My allergies have been giving me fits tonight, so my review may be a little off.

Appearance: Pours a mostly cloudy burnt orange color with what looks like a piece of leaf hops floating around in it. There was a 1/4" head of off white bubbles after the pour, but this faded rather quickly into the beer and was just a thin layer of foam only 30-45 seconds after the pour. There is some pretty decent lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer.

Aroma: I get dry floral and citrusy hops in the aroma at first, and after the head fades there is some sweet caramel malt coming into play. The beer smells a bit chalky to me, and I wonder if this is just because it has some age on it or some such.

Taste: The flavor is dominated by the hops, and only leaves room for a little bit of caramel sweetness to poke its head in there somewhere in the middle, and then the hops take back over the profile to lead into a decidedly bitter finish. There is a bit of kick to this beer as the bittering hops start to give way a little (and not much) there is some alcoholic warming that sets in and stays with you for a good while after the sip.

Opinion: Well, I am not sure what to say. It may be my allergies, but I am not really all that fond of this beer. It may have some age on it, and this may be throwing off my perception of the balance, but I can't get over the bitter edge to this beer. I don't think that I have had a beer from Deschutes that I didn't like, but this is my first one. I believe that I can just expect this from a brewer in the NorthWest where hops are in abundance...but it is a shame that this beer doesn't have any better balance than it does. I will still drink the beer in my glass, but I won't be seeking this beer out in the future.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. This is a bottle conditioned beer. With yeast residing primarily at the end of the pour. How you pour it will effect the taste. Leaving about a 1/4 inch in the bottle slightly changes the taste in a glass. I like it both ways (I'm talking about the beer here) But for this review I poured it all in the glass. It seems to produce a nicer head that way.

Pours a somewhat see through amber body with a tan 1 inch fluffy head. Decent lacing

Citrus followed by a slightly apple sauce malt aroma A bit of funky yeast due to the way I poured it...

Taste is a bit more malty and piney then the smell

A medium-low level of carbonation. (I personally like it like this, not too prickly)

Overall a decent IPA available at most supermarkets in the Seattle Tacoma area at a good price. I have had quite a few of these over the years...

This doesn't have anything to do with the beer but...Last year I was in the middle of a big remodel job at my house. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I was doing all the work myself. I was in over my head but kept on going. I would drink a couple of these beers at the end of every work day... Somehow I pulled the project off... On one of the last days I noticed that inside the bottle cap were the words.'"Bravely Done".
...This may sound crazy but it was like a little pat on the back... I kept that bottle cap !

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
Best before 4/15/16

A- pours a clear deep amber color with a one-finger foamy white head that retains for a while before leaving some nice lacing behind

S- floral and piney hops mix with candied citrus fruit, along with some slightly bready malt

T- flavor follows the aroma, opening with floral hops, with some piney notes kicking in mid-palate. Slightly sweet malty undertone with a finish of more pine

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a crisp finish

O- an easy drinking ipa that showcases some nice floral notes

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Unsure when this beer was bottled but the best buy date states 03/25/17 which is another month and a half. Poured from a glass bottle into a tulip glass.

Look: this beer pours a deep translucent amber to dark orange with an off-white khaki head that dissipates after 30 seconds.
Smell: caramel malt with hint of green apple, earthy pine, and a restrained citrus character.
Taste: again, the caramel malt is the star of this beer. I get a background of earthy pine, very mild citrus, and a mild floral taste.
Feel: a medium body with a dry finish. Carbonation is medium.
Overall: I have been drinking this beer on occasion for the past 4-5 years without ever really evaluating it and now that I have, I hesitate to even call this an IPA. The malt steals the show from the hops. Its a tasty brew but I find it to be somewhat mislabeled. Perhaps this satisfied the hop heads of a decade ago but in the current craft beer climate this beer falls short of a true showcase of hop flavor and aroma. They may as well label this beer as a "hoppy amber".

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%