Inversion IPA | Deschutes Brewery

Added by Jason on 03-22-2006

3.9

Reviews: 852 | Ratings: 3,038
4.25/5  rDev +9%

Finally getting around to a review for a beer I drink fairly often, yet not often enough.

Nice clear copper with a substantial orange-tinted head that leaves quite a bit of lace. Very good looking beer! Can't beat the Deschutes bottles, either.

Big hop aromas, sweet grapefruit to bitter rind-y lemon, along with surprising sweet, almost boozy caramel malts. Really top notch, it's been a while since I've had this beer, and it's even better than I remember.

Great balance of big hop and malt flavors. Typical and delicious NW hop profile of citrus with big bittering at the end. This isn't a one-dimensional beer though. Sweet, caramel malts are very present. I think I taste just a bit of alcohol, as well, though it isn't a detriment. Nice creamy, semi-full body compliments the full flavors well and keeps them swirling.

This is one of the better mass-quantity IPAs around... Great intensity and balance to the aromas and flavors, while being pretty affordable to boot! Highly recommended, yet another excellent beer from Deschutes.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

A: Dark orange, light brown tinge, filtered, no carbonation and 3 fingers of creamy orange brown tinged head.

S: Orange, pine, orange candy, alcohol, watermelon, malty Shreddies in milk, orange cream.

T: Big sweetness, orange candy, pine, then a big bitter hop bomb with dankness and cereals mixed.

M: Medium thick syrupy body, little carbonation, a slight resinous coating left on the tongue.

O: Very well done. Not as awesome as some, but very well done. Bordering on the taste of an imperial IPA. Drank in Chiang Mai, Nov 10th, 2014.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Darker than my go-to IPAs. Malty, less citrus. Not too complex, but I enjoyed it. Quite tasty. Nice change of pace IPA, so I probably ranked it a bit higher than it deserves.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- most clear amber color with an off white head
S-pine, malt, spice, and some citrus
T-pine resin with a grapefruit flavor that stays with you until the end
M-medium body and high carbonation
O-this beer has an outstanding hop flavor and I enjoyed it

4.25/5  rDev +9%

A: Poured into a nonic, it has a huge tightly carbonated three finger head that lingers forever. clinging sheets of lacing are thick and very creamy looking. I've never never seen any brew do this at this level. amazing.

S: Pungent tropical fruit, thick lemongrass. Bitter citrus nose.

T: lemongrass with very faint biscuity notes. Tropical notes abound. Slightly earthy. Bitterness grows as it warms, and it definitely is more bitter than the IBU says it is.

M: smooth, velvety initial finish followed by a strongly drying note. Creamy due to tight carbo. puckery finale with tropical bitterness at ultimate finish and it lingers.

O: Fantastic, approaching a DIPA in strength. Reminds me of DHF 90, but, well, more refined than 90 min. Really nice IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Middle in the hazy range, copper colored brew. Sturdy and fluffy cream colored head. Sticks to ze glass. Nice sticky hop scent, citrus and bitter. Hops in the taste are mostly bitter, light floral range as well. Nicely balanced sweet malt. Rounded out with a fairly present warming alcohol. Thin to mid mouth, A bit wet and pretty sharp. Very solid IPA.

12oz Bottle

Best by 6/6/08

I get to try this courtesy of russpowell, thanks Russ! Inversion IPA pours amber that appears more copper when backlit. The body is very clear with absolutely no carbonation visible. A rather hard pour produced three fingers worth of creamy but craggy clean white head. The head fell painfully slow and left thick patchy lacing on its way.

The smell is pretty unique. The hops take center stage just as they should with a lot of ripe fruitiness in the nose. Apricot, peach, and sweetened pink grapefruit are all accentuated by a slightly spicy alcohol presence that seems to bring them to the front. The maltiness seems to be more on the biscuity side. The more I smell this the more I like it.

The first couple drinks I took I thought this was just ok. After digging in a little deeper I really start liking this IPA. All that fruitiness from the nose is right there in the flavor. The apricot is most prominent but not by much. The sweetened grapefruit is close behind and the peach makes an appearance but is on the mild side. The apricot comes through big on the swallow creating a flavor I really enjoy. The malts aren't around much but there's enough to add a little balance.

Medium bodied with a quiet creaminess. The carbonation is on the low end of the spectrum and lets the beer work its way through as it pleases, which is just the way I like it. Smooth and mellow on its way through and leaves a growing bitterness as I work through the glass.

I find this beer disappearing far too quickly. The more I drink the more I want to drink. My only worry is after drinking a couple bottles my tongue would be beat up well.

I wasn't so sure of Inversion at first but it didn't take long for me to really start enjoying this beer. A really great, unique hoppiness combines with a great mouthfeel to make for a damn fine IPA. I'd love to be able to pick Inversion up around here.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

A: A little over a finger of off-white head. The beer is a slightly hazy copper. Frothy head retention and sticky lacing.
S: Grapefruit immediately flies out of the pour. Huge aromas of hops, and some pine. Sweet malts definitely demand a presence on the nose.
T: Good dose of bitter hops really dominate. Malts are not as present in taste as the aroma would leave me to believe. Yeasty notes are prevalent to round out.
M: Light to medium-bodied with carbonation bringing out the citrus.
D: Refreshing. This is a solid IPA. Deschutes has yet to disappoint!

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Hazy, darkly bronzed burnt orange with a candy apple red blush. A gorgeous color. I also love the particulate-filled nature of the beer since it makes me think that I'm about to drink a ton of hop flecks. Inversion looks great from top to bottom (or should I say from bottom to top?) The orangish ecru crown is creamy and is supersticky from what I hope is a significant quantity of hop resins. The glass is coated with tremendous, lace-like lace that looks like it will soon be crusty.

The aroma is outstanding and is different from any IPA that I've smelled yet. The thing that sets it apart is a pungent apricotness that smells like the sweet and sticky overripe fruit just before it begins to rot. That may not sound good, but believe me, it is. Orange, pineapple and pink grapefruit (in that order) follow apricot.

I've had bigger, hoppier IPAs than Inversion, but it's a tasty humdinger of a beer for sure. Although caramel malt intrudes a bit too much with respect to flavor, I'm sure that most will find it acceptable. The hop bill tastes like an American-British cooperative effort. Deschutes says only that 'our favorite Northwest hops' are in use. If that's the case, then one of them must be related to either Fuggles or Styrian Goldings.

The beer's best features are balance (if you like that sort of thing in an IPA) and drinkability. Inversion practically drinks itself. So much so that I have to remind myself to slow down so I have something left to assess mouthfeel. There's a great deal of hop flavor present (dried orange peel, tea leaves) without a tongue ruffling amount of bitterness. It'd be a cinch to drink 2-3 bottles in quick succession.

The mouthfeel is in keeping with the amount of hop bitterness. That is, it's slightly lighter than the IPA average while still being well within the bounds of acceptability. The mouthfeel makes up for its lack of viscosity by being as polished and as smooth as an expertly cut gemstone. Silk only wishes it was this smooth.

I forget just how good beer from this brewery really is. A quick review of my reviews reminds me that this is my 11th Deschutes beer and that I've only given one of them less than a 4.0 for flavor. I'm not sure I can say that about too many other breweries. Inversion is a beer that I would be bringing home by the case if I was fortunate enough to have ready access.

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Brilliant amber, mostly clear, thick off white head has great retention and lacing.

S/T/M - Pleasant hop bouquet with floral, light pine, and touches of citrus hops. Moderate bitterness. More subtle floral flavors shine well with the relatively light body. Smooth consistency, yet hops are prickly across the palate. Finishes crisp and clean with lingering pine bitterness.

O - The light body flows well with flavors and leaves me wanting to drink this more.

12oz to a snifter, best before 10/22

Pours a really dark golden orange with a finger and a half of foam. Not bad retention, down to half a finger after a minute or two. Pretty hazy, low carbonation

Smells pretty floral. Upfront heavy pine, followed by a lot of citrus- mostly all grapefruit. A little sweet caramel on the malts, touch of alcohol on the finish

Taste follows well. Lots of heavy pine, backed up by some relatively submissive citrus. A much less sweet caramel malt come through on the back

Feel is a medium body, high bitterness. Alcohol hidden well, super easy to drink

Overall this beer really reminds me of when my friends and I would attempt to down Torpedoes in high school. I got that first initial super piney shock of hops on my first couple sips of this six pack, brought back a lot of memories. And to think now I knock these guys back no problem

4.26/5  rDev +9.2%

Another Deschutes bottle brought back from California by my buddy, Dustin (misterdmac). Thanks again!

A: This is one of the nicer pours I have had in a while... deeper in colour than they will often be, it's almost copper but has a gold hue to it, as well. Head is frothy, creamy, and has something of an orange hue to it, and it loves to hang around. Retention is great, with a nice wall of lace left all around the glass and about a quarter finger of head remaining as it is consumed.

S: A citrus blend of lemon zest and grapefruit. There's also a soft woodiness and a nice, warm maltiness that rounds it out quite nicely.

T: Citrus hop flavours, complemented by just the tiniest bit of spiciness. A sweet malt takes some of the bite from the hop flavours, and smooths it out... with the medium body and moderate carbonation, it makes for a smooth feeling body, as well. The two work quite well together.

D: Quite a nicely balanced IPA, and I certainly like that in the style. It could potentially start skirting on approaching DIPA territory very easily, but that's fine with me. I'd like to have this around from time to time as a bit of a regular rotation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear reddish copper with a nice head that lingers throughout. Aroma is citrus mellowed with rich caramel. Flavor is balanced for an IPA with grapefruity hops and malty sweet grains competing for the spotlight. This is not a hop bomb like some IPA's (not that there's anything wrong with that) but just a very well balanced, well constructed IPA that will remain part of my regular rotation as long is it is around. Nicely done Deschutes.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I went through and looked at the ratings to see if they were too high, but then I took another sip of this immaculate brew and realized the ratings are spot on.

The appearance is great. Beautiful orange-amber color that is clear and un-polluted. Beautiful white frothy head that leaves a steady medium lacing all around the glass. Can be poured to a three finger head and dissipate down to a half finger. Good medium body with an oil character slathering your glass.

The smell is not very strong, really small. Hops and a bit of alcohol is all I can smell.

The taste is phenomenal. I have such a high respect for this beer. A beautiful looking beer, and a great tasting one as well. Dry bitter hops are the main characteristic in this story, and leaves you wanting more. Washes your palate with a dry mouthfeel that just leaves your palate begging for more. Caramel malt is a middle taste as a orange peel zest accompanies it. Amazing.

At 6.8% this beer is amazing. Love my Deschutes.

J

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Inversion IPA brewed by Deschutes Brewery, with an ABV of 6.80% This brew pours out a nice deep amber, light brown color, witha nice off white head. I really like the color of this brew. This brew has the look of most IPA's on the market. The smell of Inversion IPA, is rich with hops, grains, and malts. The first thing you pick up on is hops, however that is to be expected with this style of brew. Now for the taste of Inversion IPA, it is rich with flavors. You pick up on the hops, grains,and malts in this brew. The body of this brew is mild and smooth. Not say that is a bad thing. This is one of the more milder IPA's on the market. Inversion IPA , has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel of Inversion IPA , is rich, bold , smooth and refreshing. You really can't pick up on the 6.80% ABV in this brew. I like how this brew is smoother than most IPA's on the market. Overall I'm giving Inversion IPA , a 4.25 out of 5. Deschutes Brewery. did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

12oz. crown top poured into a standard pint glass. Murky copper in color with a decent 2 finger foam.

Smells for citrus and carmel.

Tastes of citrusy hops, very nice with tastes of orange peel and carmel. Also a hint of tea. Finishes with a slight alcohol note and a mildly bitter after taste. Very silky, medium mouthfeel.

A great drinking IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

Got this bottle from CurlyGavzilla in Telluride. 'Best Before 7/25/07' on bottle. Pours a lovely orange/copper with thick white head. Nice, zesty hop nose. Sweet, then quickly detours to sharp, big hop flavor. Crisp, with a long hop finish. Well-balanced for a big hop beer.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours a translucent copper color with a nice two-finger thick, frothy, white head that leaves plenty of lacing around the glass as you drink. Carbonation levels look spot on.

S: Honestly, this is one of my favorite smelling brews. A lovely citrus-pine-hop aroma with a sweet, bread and butterscotch backbone. Mmm, very inviting!

T: I would call this a hop-dominant brew, but it is balanced out nicely with a wonderful butterscotch and bread maltiness. Lots of citrus, mostly grapefruit, also some other light fruits like apple and maybe some apricot. Finishes on a bitter hop note that lingers on the tongue.

M: To me, this brew exemplifies the mouthfeel of an I.P.A. Medium bodied with ample carbonation and a bit of a creamy mouthfeel, it goes down velvety smooth and easy; feels great on the tongue.

O: I am very impressed with this I.P.A. I am not typically a fan of hop-centric brews, but this one came off to me as a fairly balanced with notes of hop bitterness and malty sweetness. Not an overly complex beer by any means, but very, very solid, easy to drink (especially at 6.8% ABV) and entirely tasty. Deschutes, you continue to impress. Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

Man I love this IPA. Pours reddish amber with off white, creamy head with very pronounced lacing. Great floral/citrus aroma. Crisp mouthfeel, pronounced but not overwhelming hop flavor. This is my new favorite beer. With the fairly high ABV, 2 or 3 will make you feel pretty happy. Deschutes brews great stuff and this is definately one of the top five.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance
Big frothy, slightly off-white head; deep amber, almost burgundy; hazy; leaves some lacing

Smell
Great smell—reminds me of Free State Brewery's Copperhead (a fantastic IPA)! Not over-the-top here like some IPAs, but what's there is very good and appetizing.

Taste & Mouth Feel
Wow! Really tastes like Copperhead—awesome! Good hop bite/sting to it; thin-to-medium body; tasty maltiness present, though not as substantial as I'd expected from reading reviews; leaves a lovely hoppy aftertaste, though is weaker on the back end than on the front. Just gets tastier as it warms; the malt profile really starts to open up, too.

Overall
This is a damn good IPA. Generally compared to other IPAs, this one has a slightly more subdued aroma, but has a great hop flavor (I think I must really like the particular bittering cultivar used) and a good balancing of malt. I would drink this on a regular basis if I had the opportunity; it's really good and I highly recommend it.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle into a plastic cup at the Comfort Suites outside of Portland, Oregon. (Don't judge me, it had been a long day of travel)

Inversion IPA has a nice carbonation level bubbling up through a darker-than-expected amber body. Up top, a thin cap of rocky, khaki foam builds and leave excellent lacing...even in a plastic cup this was impressive. The hops are a bit muted in the aroma, but are fresh like Deschutes' Hop Trip and are balanced with a big caramel base. Some spice kicks in as the beer warms.

The first taste picks up a big, biscuity-sweet caramel base. Hops are quick to assault the sides and back of the palate with piney, spicy hop oils...just the IPA I was looking for after a long flight. Mouthfeel is exceptional: crisp, medium-thin body with a perfect carbonation level and a lasting, hoppy bite that grabs hold and refuses to let go. All in all, I was happy with Inversion IPA. Although the aroma was a bit of a let-down, I'll be saving my second bottle to see how it performs in a "real" glass.

4.29/5  rDev +10%

Pours a cloudy copper developing a sturdy, 1.5 finger off-white head. Head subside to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and regenerative wisps of foam erupt at the slightest provocation.

Bits of toasty, caramel malt get pushed aside rudely from a citrus-piney hop blast that hits the nose.

Fresh, macerated pine needles and lemon rind tingle the tongue. This is an assertive IPA. The bitterness is nearly overdone but for a robust caramely malt presence that makes itself known, albeit a little late. Fortunately, that sweet cream-caramel character becomes more pronounced as it warms. A cedar-like spice lingers - the last vestiges of the earlier hop-onslaught. Quite delicious, and with a brash edge that leaves you wanting more.

Slick, soft mouthfeel is pleasantly hefty, yet quaffable. Very drinkable though the somewhat rough hop presence makes this one for hop-heads only. A much more interesting and enjoyable IPA that the previous Quail Springs offering. After many years, Deschutes continues to impress

4.29/5  rDev +10%

Got this from, um, someone ... whoever sent this, thanks!

A - Pours a light copper / burnt orange with a see thru layer of head sitting nicely on top of the brew.

S - Citrus HOPS that punch you in the nose.

T - Excellent balance with the hops shining through. Sort of bitter on the palate and it sticks around. This could be the definition of an American IPA.

M - Very nice.

Quite surprised by this one since it had some age to it. It sat in my fridge for way too long and now I must search out some more.

4.29/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a dark copper/amber with a finger width of foamy head.

Smell - Earthy and piney hops, caramalts, tropical fruits.

Taste - Nice hit of earthy/piney hops followed along with a balance of the malts and fruit. Good bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - A well-executed American IPA by Deschutes. Ranks up among the top of the American IPAs that I have sampled.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

In my mind Deschutes is very underrated they brew a vast array of great styles and sadly alot of people in the midwest and east never have had the chance to try their wares... now enough of that on to the review.This poured an odd kinda hazed brownish orange with a nice tight one finger head that never totaly settles,well that Oregon hop profile really shows itself like I knew it would quite citrusy with lemon I think being predominant over top of caramelly biscuit dough malt its not all one dimensional.The hop dominates but it has character tea-like up front with a nice resiny,spruce like finish all the long a decent sized sweetish malt base holds its own thru to the finish.A nice hoppy quaffing IPA I would have never guess this was so high in alc its very drinkable,well done.

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery