Inversion IPA | Deschutes Brewery

Added by Jason on 03-22-2006

3.9

Ratings: 3,061 |  Reviews: 856

3.32/5  rDev -14.9%

Inversion IPA certainly satisfied my hop craving, and had some very interesting flavor notes. However, I found the bitterness to be rather rough - it didn't have a lot of sweetness or other hop esters to balance the bitterness. Aside from the bitterness, I got a significant malt presence from the beer, and as it warmed I got some interesting flavor notes to include bubble gum, which I've not previously gotten from any beer. The beer poured from the bottle a rather bright orange with great sturdy head formation. Aroma was a lot of hop bitterness, with a minimal amount of fruit. Flavor is as I've described above. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, but not unpleasant.

It is a bit hard to rate this beer. I thought it a bit unique among the hundreds of IPAs out there (interesting mouthfeel and flavors), but I found it only slightly above average when it comes to how much I enjoyed it. A nice beer - and I'd recommend it probably more than my numeric ratings would indicate.

a unique american IPA in form. pretty textbook in appearance and nature. clean pour with a reasonable head. some lace. nose of hops. subdued citrus.. a tad earthy. palate is citrus that leads to a nice bitter. earthy finish... pear and sage. quite a good food beer. probably perfect for indian food.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from the bottle into my HF over-sized wine-glass.

Poured a deep orange/copper color with a 2 finger paper white head that left some nice lacing on my glass.

Smelled a bit sweeter than anticipated, almost a honey-like scent with some hop presence.

Taste followed the smell quite closely. A lot maltier than expected but pretty tasty. Would like a bit more bitterness.

Mouth-feel was refreshing and appropriate.

Overall, not the best IPA I have ever had, but certainly tasty and drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

So excited to finally be tasting Deschutes offerings. Thank you Ohio. This beautiful ale pours a rich reddish copper color with a substantial off white head that gives way to a nice film and handsome lacing. The aroma is hoppy and bitter with notes of pine, grass, tropical fruit, and citrus. This ale sips very smooth and easy (I could get in trouble with a sixer of these). The flavor is a spectacular blend of hops and malt. Slightly sweet on the front end and then crushingly bitter on the tail. This is a very underrated ipa that should be more recognized as the awesome ale that it is. Can't wait to try more from this brewery. If anyone from Deschutes is reading this; please come to Michigan soon.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

I obviously got a stale bottle of this beer as the rest that I have tried have been a much better experience. Let's give a fresher example a proper review:

Appearance: Pours a clear red amber color with a 1/2" head of solid fluffy tan foam after an aggressive pour. The head is slowly fading and there are many bubbles rising to the top. A few minutes after the pour, there is still over 1/4" of active foam on top of the beer, and it is leaving a nice trail of lace ofter drinking and swirling. This is a nice looking beer, no doubt.

Aroma: The aroma is mostly of hops with a little bit of sweet caramel in there to keep you guessing. There are some toasty notes in there also. The alcohol is coming out a bit as it warms to accentuate the hops and make the beer rather prickly on the nose.

Taste: The flavor starts out dominated by the hops and then the malt makes a bit of a reserved showing until the hops take back over again for the finish. The finish is a little on the harsh side, and I don't know if that is the water mixing with the hops or what. I assume that is what it is, but the alcohol comes in at the wrong time and dries out the finish even more. The beer is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation, and this really helps it be more drinkable.

Opinion: Now I think that this is a pretty decent IPA. The last one I had was obviously old. That said, the bitter balance of the hops is a little on the high side for my taste and the alcohol sets in as the hops are playing about the back of the throat so that the finish is not all that pleasant. This beer would, I'm sure, appeal to a lot of people that like the hoppier side of the spectrum while still having substance. As for me, I prefer other IPA's more.

My Original Review - Aug 5, 2008
App = 3.5
Sml = 4.0
Tst = 3.0
Mth = 2.5
Ovl = 2.5

Total = 3.08

My allergies have been giving me fits tonight, so my review may be a little off.

Appearance: Pours a mostly cloudy burnt orange color with what looks like a piece of leaf hops floating around in it. There was a 1/4" head of off white bubbles after the pour, but this faded rather quickly into the beer and was just a thin layer of foam only 30-45 seconds after the pour. There is some pretty decent lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer.

Aroma: I get dry floral and citrusy hops in the aroma at first, and after the head fades there is some sweet caramel malt coming into play. The beer smells a bit chalky to me, and I wonder if this is just because it has some age on it or some such.

Taste: The flavor is dominated by the hops, and only leaves room for a little bit of caramel sweetness to poke its head in there somewhere in the middle, and then the hops take back over the profile to lead into a decidedly bitter finish. There is a bit of kick to this beer as the bittering hops start to give way a little (and not much) there is some alcoholic warming that sets in and stays with you for a good while after the sip.

Opinion: Well, I am not sure what to say. It may be my allergies, but I am not really all that fond of this beer. It may have some age on it, and this may be throwing off my perception of the balance, but I can't get over the bitter edge to this beer. I don't think that I have had a beer from Deschutes that I didn't like, but this is my first one. I believe that I can just expect this from a brewer in the NorthWest where hops are in abundance...but it is a shame that this beer doesn't have any better balance than it does. I will still drink the beer in my glass, but I won't be seeking this beer out in the future.

2.51/5  rDev -35.6%

A= The pour reveils a lovely deep amber color with a huge head on it. The head rises to about three fingers and holds some pretty steady retention on it. It's an off white color.

S= The smell is really light. Much lighter than your average IPA. You do get some hop character to it but not much. Much less hop character than I would expect. There is an underlying clean sort of sweetness to the smell.

T= The taste is also much different than the average IPA. It has a much more prominent hop taste than the smell but the hops taste very medicinal to me for some reason. A lot like some sort of cough syrup that is extremely bitter. There is still the underlying sweetness to it as well but the medicinal taste dominates.

M= A little high on the carbonation and a little too spritzy on the tongue for my taste.

D= Not a bad beer but I would say this is my first dissapointment from deschutes. Not the best IPA for my money

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.34/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz bottle to Sam Adams PP glass.

A: Pours a deep amber/orange, clear and well carbed. Good head retention.

S: Starts herbal and earthy and full of pine, followed by some nice toasted caramel malt notes.

T: Unfolds much like the nose, this beer is full of notes of sharp pine needles and bitter grapefruit/orange zest. Pretty pungent in its earthiness but with the sweet toasted malt character that subdues the hops just a touch.

MF: Pretty standard fare; medium body and bitter dryness.

O: A good, balanced IPA that showcases a lot of earthiness and toasted malt.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a darker straw color, dark golden to almost brown. Head formation is strong, sticking around at about 1-2mm, lots of lacing as well. Mocha in color.

S - Strong American hop profile, floral, at times grapefruit, lightly grassy. No malting detected.

T - Starts off with a sweet note of the orange like hop profile. Mid-stream gets biting and bitter, more grassy and earthy. Finishes with a cloying bitterness on the tongue and a light floral taste on the tongue.

M - Incredible body for an IPA. Not biting or acidic as some pull through with all the high acid hops. Creamy and smooth, goes down easy. Carbonation supports the creaminess.

D - Very drinkable IPA. Lightly filling - the full bodied nature of the beer does start to weigh on the palette. ABV is pretty potent - a 6er would hurt, alot. Flavors are well integrated. This baby would cut through some good spicy food like a knife through butter.

Nothing less than what I would expect from Deschutes - a solid beer.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

Second time I've reviewed this one. First review was a bottle. This one is cask conditioned, served in a pint glass at the Elk Public House in Spokane.

Pours a red mahogany brown color. Nice foamy white head is fairly resilient.

Smell is sweet and sharp. Bourbon-like.

Taste is very bitter and hoppy with a lot of alcohol taste and heat.

Mouthfeel is sharp and a bit cloying.

Not the most drinkable IPA in this form. One of few beers I have found that is better in a bottle than in cask. I'll buy it in a sixer and pass on the cask.

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with over one finger of gold-tinted foam head that diminishes to a partial pad. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Fermented malt is most prominent, with caramel but even more vinous fruit. Esters prevail over hops, with the latter appearing weakly earthy but otherwise unremarkable.

T: Begins off-dry, with caramel malt and estery fruit of moderate intensity. Mixed citrus hop aromatics are weak but present and acidity is similarly mild. Esters intensify in the middle, with a bubble gum quality that is very uncommon for the style. The finish reveals some mellow bitterness, but doesn't really develop much character.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, very smooth on the palate for the style, with low carbonation.

D/O: Like an aging athlete trying to keep up with his younger, swifter peers, Inversion IPA struggles to extend itself past its malt-forward foundation and be something it is not. Although it is a well-rounded pale ale, it fails to project its hops assertively and in appealing fashion. It is outclassed by Red Chair, and is definitely not just a lower abv version of the remarkable Hop Henge.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%