Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Inversion IPA | Deschutes Brewery

228 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by Jason on 03-22-2006

Ratings: 3,075 |  Reviews: 860
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a pint glass, but, alas, my boy spill half of it.

Appearance: A nice off white head with some retention. The body of the beer is a medium copper color with some orange highlights. There is some effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is fairly clear.

Nose: A very nice ripe hope flavor with citrus, pine and some floral. There is a nice malty back bone that has a touch of sweetness with some toasted notes.

Taste: A nice rich ripe hop flavor with citrus, pine, and a floral bouquet. The malt has a good back bone to hold up to the beer hops.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is astringent, sharp carbonated, and edgy. The body of the beer is medium and the finish is semi full. I really like this beer has a great hop flavor with a good malty back bone.

3.34/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from the bottle into my HF over-sized wine-glass.

Poured a deep orange/copper color with a 2 finger paper white head that left some nice lacing on my glass.

Smelled a bit sweeter than anticipated, almost a honey-like scent with some hop presence.

Taste followed the smell quite closely. A lot maltier than expected but pretty tasty. Would like a bit more bitterness.

Mouth-feel was refreshing and appropriate.

Overall, not the best IPA I have ever had, but certainly tasty and drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle (marked best by 7/30/13), so should be fresh, into a pub glass.
Appearance - Amber, with a meringue-like head. Leaves very nice lacing.
Smell - brilliant; nice mix of hops and sweet candy; some malt present, breadlines.
Taste - not bad, but the malt presence almost overpowers the hops at times.
Feel - complex! The malt on the palate gives way to the bitterness of the hops in the finish, but doesn't completely vanish. A heavier feel than with many IPA's.
Overall - This is a solid beer and the price point makes it a must buy!!! Probably best in the early Spring or in the Fall!

4.2/5  rDev +8%

A- Slightly hazy, orange amber colored body with a nice, big, foamy head that leaves some solid lacing

S- Big load of floral, citrus hops on top of a light, sugary base of refreshing water

T- Has a smooth, almost buttery backbone with a massive bitter punch of herbal hops.

M- Smooth and slick with a silky smooth carbonation

D- Plenty easy to drink without distracting flavors

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle at casino steakhouse in Las Vegas.

Poured clear copper color with an average fizzy off-white head that mostly lasting with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy sour citrus hoppy aroma. Medium to full body with a slick texture and flat carbonation. Moderate bittersweet flavor with a moderate to heavy bittersweet finish of medium to long duration.

This is a solid drinkable brew.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Notes from 07-21-12
12oz to standard pint – BB date of 10/03/12

A: Pours a deep amber color with shades of orange and brown depending on the lighting. Almost garnet looking with a touch of haze. Nice finger of tan cream caps my glass. Some wavy legs of stick on the way down.

S: Smell offers a bit of warm bread and spiced caramels. There are some subdued aromas of piney hops and orange slices.

T: Taste brings a modest amount of caramel and freshly baked breads with a concentrated long lasting bitterness. There is a nice mingle of sour orange and evergreens with some subtle earthy spice elements. Touch of alcohol warmth. All together well incorporated, demonstrating some fair balance.

M: Moderate body with a bit of chew on it. Lower-even carbonation. A bit drying in the finish with some resinous hop oils.

D: Nice balance of flavors. Not what I typically go for in an IPA but I can appreciate this for what it is. A well done NW take on the style with a pronounced use of Crystal and Caramel malts. I think Deschutes does a good job of maintaining the balance and bringing the hop intensity. Definitely a beer I can step out of my comfort zone with and cozy up to.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle.

Deep orange color with two fingers nice retention to head, nice lacing. Complex nose, you can sense the biscuity malt. Fairly bitter hops and citrus (grapefruit) upfront in taste, and biting alchohol and hops again in the finish. Very drinkable. One of the best IPAs brewed in Bend (props out to Ms. Cornett across town). Not the signature product from Deschutes, but a must include if you are attempting to come to terms with the depth and variety of one of NW's best craft breweries product line.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a very hazy amber color with a medium-small off-white head. The scent is hoppy with a tad bit of malt. There is a quite a bit of citrus too (lemons, grapefruit, etc). Taste is initially caramel malt with some bitterness and light grassy and floral notes. Then I get a strong citrus profile with a strong lemon flavor. The grassy and floral flavors are also there. The finish is bitter with a delightful bite. Mouthfeel is very full-bodied with a crisp, dry finish. Drinkability is high as the 6.8 ABV is quite nice. Wouldn't expect any less from Deschutes...

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a clear ruby orange color with a small off white head.

Scent of hops, cherries, and caramel malts. Strong and balanced without being too strong; almost seems like a weak IIPA.

Taste of hops, cherries, citrus and caramel malts. Some stronger malts are noticeable and give the beer a stronger body.

Mouthfeel is smooth, but a little heavy, and for an IPA, it is something I could have done without.

3.32/5  rDev -14.7%

Inversion IPA certainly satisfied my hop craving, and had some very interesting flavor notes. However, I found the bitterness to be rather rough - it didn't have a lot of sweetness or other hop esters to balance the bitterness. Aside from the bitterness, I got a significant malt presence from the beer, and as it warmed I got some interesting flavor notes to include bubble gum, which I've not previously gotten from any beer. The beer poured from the bottle a rather bright orange with great sturdy head formation. Aroma was a lot of hop bitterness, with a minimal amount of fruit. Flavor is as I've described above. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, but not unpleasant.

It is a bit hard to rate this beer. I thought it a bit unique among the hundreds of IPAs out there (interesting mouthfeel and flavors), but I found it only slightly above average when it comes to how much I enjoyed it. A nice beer - and I'd recommend it probably more than my numeric ratings would indicate.

a unique american IPA in form. pretty textbook in appearance and nature. clean pour with a reasonable head. some lace. nose of hops. subdued citrus.. a tad earthy. palate is citrus that leads to a nice bitter. earthy finish... pear and sage. quite a good food beer. probably perfect for indian food.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Second time I've reviewed this one. First review was a bottle. This one is cask conditioned, served in a pint glass at the Elk Public House in Spokane.

Pours a red mahogany brown color. Nice foamy white head is fairly resilient.

Smell is sweet and sharp. Bourbon-like.

Taste is very bitter and hoppy with a lot of alcohol taste and heat.

Mouthfeel is sharp and a bit cloying.

Not the most drinkable IPA in this form. One of few beers I have found that is better in a bottle than in cask. I'll buy it in a sixer and pass on the cask.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

I guess it is my fault that I bought a Spring release beer just last week in December. The "Best by:" date is 12/08/09.

A - All of the typical characteristics of an IPA but this one may have a slightly redder hue than others.

S - The nose consists of hops, fruit, & malt but without a strong hop presence.

T - Very citrusy. Pink Grapefruit is the fruit that stands out. More malty than hoppy it seems. Some hints of bread, sugar, and slight alcohol. A nice bitterness.

M/D - Smooth and mellow. Mouthfeel is great as is the drinkability. Great IPA.

I'm guessing that the hops weren't as pronounced with this beer as they should have been because I drank it a few days after the "Best by:" date. I'll need to try a fresh bottle in the Spring of 2010.

3.49/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pint on tap at Williams. Dark Amber with ruby hue with a white head that breaks down quickly leaving a nice lacing. I'd describe this as a hopped up English ipa. Lots of rich, toasted caramel malt pounded with piney, earthy, herbal hop. Gets bitter as you go with a lingering finish. Not my favorite beer profile but it's well made.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

I obviously got a stale bottle of this beer as the rest that I have tried have been a much better experience. Let's give a fresher example a proper review:

Appearance: Pours a clear red amber color with a 1/2" head of solid fluffy tan foam after an aggressive pour. The head is slowly fading and there are many bubbles rising to the top. A few minutes after the pour, there is still over 1/4" of active foam on top of the beer, and it is leaving a nice trail of lace ofter drinking and swirling. This is a nice looking beer, no doubt.

Aroma: The aroma is mostly of hops with a little bit of sweet caramel in there to keep you guessing. There are some toasty notes in there also. The alcohol is coming out a bit as it warms to accentuate the hops and make the beer rather prickly on the nose.

Taste: The flavor starts out dominated by the hops and then the malt makes a bit of a reserved showing until the hops take back over again for the finish. The finish is a little on the harsh side, and I don't know if that is the water mixing with the hops or what. I assume that is what it is, but the alcohol comes in at the wrong time and dries out the finish even more. The beer is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation, and this really helps it be more drinkable.

Opinion: Now I think that this is a pretty decent IPA. The last one I had was obviously old. That said, the bitter balance of the hops is a little on the high side for my taste and the alcohol sets in as the hops are playing about the back of the throat so that the finish is not all that pleasant. This beer would, I'm sure, appeal to a lot of people that like the hoppier side of the spectrum while still having substance. As for me, I prefer other IPA's more.

My Original Review - Aug 5, 2008
App = 3.5
Sml = 4.0
Tst = 3.0
Mth = 2.5
Ovl = 2.5

Total = 3.08

My allergies have been giving me fits tonight, so my review may be a little off.

Appearance: Pours a mostly cloudy burnt orange color with what looks like a piece of leaf hops floating around in it. There was a 1/4" head of off white bubbles after the pour, but this faded rather quickly into the beer and was just a thin layer of foam only 30-45 seconds after the pour. There is some pretty decent lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer.

Aroma: I get dry floral and citrusy hops in the aroma at first, and after the head fades there is some sweet caramel malt coming into play. The beer smells a bit chalky to me, and I wonder if this is just because it has some age on it or some such.

Taste: The flavor is dominated by the hops, and only leaves room for a little bit of caramel sweetness to poke its head in there somewhere in the middle, and then the hops take back over the profile to lead into a decidedly bitter finish. There is a bit of kick to this beer as the bittering hops start to give way a little (and not much) there is some alcoholic warming that sets in and stays with you for a good while after the sip.

Opinion: Well, I am not sure what to say. It may be my allergies, but I am not really all that fond of this beer. It may have some age on it, and this may be throwing off my perception of the balance, but I can't get over the bitter edge to this beer. I don't think that I have had a beer from Deschutes that I didn't like, but this is my first one. I believe that I can just expect this from a brewer in the NorthWest where hops are in abundance...but it is a shame that this beer doesn't have any better balance than it does. I will still drink the beer in my glass, but I won't be seeking this beer out in the future.

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery