Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Abyss | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

#128

Ratings: 7,159 |  Reviews: 1,974
4.27/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a very dark brown, oily body, that settles into the glass looking very dark, with a very thin tan head. A swirl of the glass leaves some sticky lacing behind.

S- A lot going on. Dark fruits, sweet sugar, hints of sweet bourbon, charred oak, roasted malts, hints of coffee.

T- A lot of depth in the taste as well. Starts of seeming like a bourbon barrel imperial stout, but about half way through there are waves of coffee, chocolate, charred oak, then the wine barrel characteristics come in and present some red grapes and a slight hint of oaky funk on the finish. The molasses flavor rounds out everything, as it comes through in all of the waves of flavors.

M- Medium-high carbonation, thick and oily, but not as thick as I would have thought.

O- A great blended barrel-aged beer. Really complex, bold flavors, that hint of wine barrel is just fantastic and works well with the rest of the flavors.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

Good luck improving the look of this beast. Pours like used engine oil. It's thick and syrupy. Extremely dark. The head forms slowly, a deep rich brown color. Good retention. A thin lace is all that remains.

You can smell just about each ingredient. Dark roasted notes. Char. Cherry bark. Licorice. Vanilla. Alcohol. It's all there.

Same goes for the taste. Lots of woody tastes. Cherry. Vanilla. A bit of licorice. Expresso. Smoke. Alcohol.

As I poured, a few stops rolled slowly down the bottle. I slid my finger along to pick up the drops and licked my fingers dry...you could taste the manliness of this beer. But with a full sip, it's remarkably smooth for something so strong. Sweet and fruity up front, warm and bitter in the end. It's creamy til the finish. A bit of heat tempers the swallow. Very full bodied. Thick and chewy.

It's an extraordinary beer. I wouldn't change a thing. I had the 2013 vintage and it said not to drink it until four months from now. I couldn't wait, I can't imagine it could be any better.

4.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have been wanting to try The Abyss for some time. I've been a fan of Deschutes Beer having many of their offerings on tap when visiting Portland but never The Abyss. Then when visiting San Francisco I came accross a great little bar called the Amsterdam Cafe that had in on tap. I couldn't believe it! I know that many times you build up your expectations for a beer and are usually let down. Not this time. The Abyss was amazing! The appearance was as dark as black ink with a thin foamy head. It smelled like coffee and chocolate and tasted like it smelled with a hint of vanilla. It had a couple more flavors that I couldn't quite recognize but it blended so well and tasted so great that I wasn't really paying close attention. The alcohol is extremely well hidden but definitely is felt when walking out of the bar. The mouthfeel is perfect with a thick, smooth feel that goes down easy. Overall, this was one of the best beers I've ever had and for the time being my number one beer drinking experience.

Edit on 7/29/16 - I've had many imperial stouts since my original review. I have to lower my scores on taste, feel and overall because I've had better. It's still an excellent beer, but as my palette develops and I broaden my scope of beers, this isn't the best.

4.96/5  rDev +10.7%