The Abyss | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

Ratings: 7,102 |  Reviews: 1,963

3.56/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage.

A- Pours black, has a decent head on it, tan lacing.

S- Aroma is very sweet. Coffee, molasses, chocolate, and malt are the main flavors I get. A little bit of caramel as well.

T- Initial sip I get a lot of bitter dark chocolate. The flavor is very sweet, like the aroma. It has a good amount of barrel character, nice amount of oak. Coffee, caramel, lots of burnt notes. Again, very sweet, not too sweet though.

M- Medium body, as expected with The Abyss. I traditionally prefer stouts thicker, but for what it is it drinks very well. Could use some more carbonation, its fallen off a bit.

O- The Abyss is always a solid stout, though for the life of me I don't understand why it's one of the highest rated beers on this entire site. I've had it fresh and aged, several times. It always drinks well and has a good amount of flavors but I always feel like it lacks something. As I said it's solid, but it never blows me away.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured aggressively into a snifter. Bottle says best after 11/1/13 but I couldn't wait!

Appearance - Black, thick, and impenetrable by light with a 1 inch beige head that hangs around for a good 10 minutes.

Smell - Chocolate, licorice, and coffee with a hint of bourbon. The smell of this beer is beyond complex - lovely sweetness and maltiness underneath everything.

Taste - Oh the taste - I swear I heard angel wings flapping as I savored it. So complex and balanced without a hint of booziness. Sweet on the tongue with everything you want in a barrel aged stout - chocolate, coffee, bourbon, and a nice bitter finish

Mouthfeel - So silky with just the right amount of carbonation. Oily and thick - this is what I expect from a huge stout.

Overall: my favorite stout that I have ever drank, replacing KBS. It's so well done and complex! I can't wait to taste my other one after it ages!

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery