The Abyss | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

Ratings: 7,102 |  Reviews: 1,963

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours opaque black with a billowy tan head. The nose is coffee, chocolate liqueur, licorice, vanilla, chestnut, and bourbon. The flavor is almost as complex as the aroma with the bourbon, and Merlot being more muted than I expected, but not in a "they’re almost undetectable" sort of way. Rather, those flavors serve as underpinnings (in an almost catalyst-likemanner) that bring out the intensity of the more obvious esters like bitter chocolate, roast coffee, vanilla, licorice, toffee, chestnut, salt, and almost a smoky bacon quality. At first I thought the body was a tad thin to support such a dynamic flavor profile, but then I realized that if it were thicker, it would make the flavor almost too mouth coating and intense to be as drinkable as it is. I agree with the other reviewers who think this beer will be an aging marvel, but for me it is already an absolutely ideal imperial stout, which I find even more rounded and complex than Speedway, and even more remarkable for achieving its decidedly coffeeish flavor component without the actual addition of that ingredient. The finish is incredibly long, and the balance is wondrous for such a big brew. Wow!

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2011 reserve

a: thick & black, like used motor oil pouring out of the bottle. a fingers worth of mocha colored head raised up from the depths of the bottom of the bottle. there is more sticky spider web like lacing in the glass than I have ever seen from a beer before.

s: rich and sweet molasses is the first thing, reminds me of baked beans (wonder why). unfortunately the licorice kind of ruins the smell for me. vanilla and wine barrels save it for me. don't know why but I don't pick up on the bourbon barrel aspect of this any.

t: very sweet. rich molasses and licorice dominate but blend well together. once again not picking up on the bourbon barrel. wish i could detect more of the cherry wood in the flavor.

m: thick and sticky with good carbonation. get some warming from the alochol on the finish, but it's hidden nicely. finishes warm and sticky.

o: very good beer that I'm glad I had the chance to try, but not one that I will seek out every year.

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was The Abyss 2010, bought in February 2011 and aged until November as recommended on the bottle. Definitely living up to its name, the beer was black and quite opaque and a very dark brown head. It smelled like dark chocolate with a bit of coffee and nuts. Incredibly thick and the most velvety smooth beer I've ever had out of a bottle. I could taste alcohol, but just barely. Nicely carbonated. I think the aging mellowed it, as I had it again on tap this year and the carbonation and roasted flavors were much more intense and biting. It deserves to be aged.

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery