The Abyss | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

Ratings: 7,112 |  Reviews: 1,968

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

4.03/5  rDev -10%

A: Pours a thick, hearty black with a huge, billowing toffee colored head.

S: Big roasted malt and coffee notes. Bitter baker's chocolate and a hint of vanilla follow.

T: Lots of toasted malt and bitter chocolate. Coffee, caramel and vanilla notes are present. Mild oak character and a lingering sweetness follow.

M: Big, thick, hearty and creamy. An excellentbody for an imperial stout.

O: A really nice, roasty, thick imperial stout. I would love more barrel character, but still an excellent beer. Definitely worth a try.

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Enjoyed on tap at the Red Hot in Tacoma, WA on 12/21/12.

A: Black oil with a tiny rim of dark brown head. Just as I would expect this beer to pour.

S: Baker's chocolate, wood, and very dark roasted malts stick out right away. Some dark fruit as it warms.

T: Dark chocolate and deep, dark malts from the beginning. Somewhat nutty and cherry flavors mix well with the wood/oak character. Blends very well together.

M: Velvet smoothness, thick, and carbonation is soft.

O: One of the best I've had for this style. Really glad I got to try it on tap.

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2011 batch poured into a Hardywood GBS snifter. I have to admit this review is a bit bias, I am somewhat new to the game of aging beers (abt 2 years) I have tried some hyped beers and I am cellaring others, other than a 2009 Stone IRS which I just opened this past christmas, this is the first hyped beer that I've had that has been aged properly, about 15 months. Pours a dense black, i've seen worse reading some of the ratings i've read, with a very thin lacing. On the nose you pick up different notes each sniff, caramel, coffee, oak, toffee, chocolate, licorice. I take my first sip and i'm done. This is one of the most smooth, complex imperial stouts i have ever tasted. I am not worthy, one of the best beers I've ever had, going to drink the rest of this in peace. Cheers

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First review. Appearance is dark with 1 finger of off white/brownish 1 finger head.

Smell- Dark fruit with background dark chocolate.

Taste: I'm picking up dark chocolate but also cinnamon and dark fruit.

mouthfeel: Full and rich. really nice

Overall: Very nice and happy to have some extra bottles for aging. I think oakey notes will be well developed.

3.75/5  rDev -16.3%

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Presentation: 2011 vintage, 'Best After 8-4-12'. This is brewed with blackstrap molasses, licorice, with cherry bark and vanilla added. 6% was aged in bourbon barrels, 11% in oak barrels, and 11% in wine barrels. Poured into two Chimay chalices to split with my wife to celebrate my 30th birthday...stepping into the abyss as it were...

Appearance: Viscous dark brown on the pour, to utter black in the goblet. Large mocha cap (surprising for the age and abv) with nice stick.

Smell: Nose is rich dark chocolate, maybe a bit of brownie batter, dry roasted grain, a bit of generic dark red fruit, and ghost of booziness. Rich and inviting.

Taste: Wow. As much as Dark Lord disappointed me, Abyss lives up to what I expected. It starts a dark red fruitiness and semi-sweet dark chocolate before moving onto dry, dusty burnt grains. Sweet, viscous beer, but it ends relatively dry, with a somewhat bitter bite with what might be a touch of oak tannin as well. Alcohol is present, readily perceived, but not at all hot; it's well integrated and actually adds to the enjoyment of the beer. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Rich, but with enough carbonation to keep it from being heavy.

Overall: Finally, a 'big boy' beer that lives up to the hype! I was infinitely disappointed in Dark Lord after pining after it for several years, but I can honestly say I'm not at all disappointed with this. The bitterness actually gets stronger throughout the glass to the point it's almost a bit much, and it's clear that this beer could EASILY and gracefully handle another two years in the bottle. Nonetheless, I'm really bummed out that I missed the 2012 vintage. Good stuff!

93-94/100 A

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

3.8/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A. black with a light brown head.

S. Coco aroma.

T. Reminds me of dark chocolate mixed with water. Must age if you want more sweetness.

M. Thinner than I would expect. Goes well with chocolate candy, preferably milk chocolate.

Overall can be placed with heavy hitter stouts but will fall last in line.

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery