100% Brett Fermented Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Barrel-Aged Flanders Style Brown Ale Fermented with 100% Brett.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 8
3.85/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Bit of a gusher, but not too bad. Aroma of cherries leaps from the bottle itself. In the glass, the cherries are noticeable but not overwhelming, blending well with light caramel grains, tannins, and mild Brett.

Nicely balanced among vinegar sourness, Brett mustiness, and cherry tartness. Wonderful cherry flavor, pits and peels, gaining in strength on the back half. Low sweetness.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 500mL bottle into a tuilp glass. Bottled on 4/30/18. I love me some Dissident, and I love me some cherries, so I am really looking forward to this one.

Appearance: rich, deep amber hue with lots of effervescence and a finger of fizzy light-tan foam atop. Quite nice.

Smell: nice malt, with a little caramel character; nice cherries, subtle but present; and a delightful candylike tartness that is enticing but not over-the-top. I can't wait to taste it.

Taste: yes. This is the beer that I want. Just enough tartness to be interesting, plus a mild funk from the Brett, makes this a great beer to start with; add in the cherries, and it really takes it to the next level. It's not as candylike as the aroma would suggest, and I actually like that. This is a sophisticated beer and I love it.

Mouthfeel: light body; this thing is pretty dried out, considering the level of sweetness. But carbonation is big, and there's a big creamy texture that I totally dig.

Overall: on paper, this is exactly my kind of beer. In execution, it's exactly my kind of beer. Wonderful.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

500ml waxed bottle, bottled April 30th 2018, +$15.00.

Bought at room temperature, be forewarned, it's a gusher; I lost a couple of ounces.

It pours a cloudy orange red or even apricot, not much of a brown colour to my eyes. Small short lived head of foam, a couple of minutes in and there's just a ring around the glass. Despite that, some lacing is there.

Smells of cherries, oak and huge Brett. 100%? You have me convinced.

Sour cherries and Brett taste delicious! Oaky woody character adds a plus. Every stage, every sip highlights the fruit and Brett to the max.

Medium body with lively carbonation.

5 months in the bottle to the day! I reckon that this would be a great candidate for cellaring. Fantastic fresh.

100% Brett Fermented Dissident from Deschutes Brewery