Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale | Deschutes Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

(Retired) Released 2007

Added by Cascadia on 06-15-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 56 | Ratings: 60
4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an effervescent honey color with 1 pinky of white head. Effervescence persists throughout. Average head retention & almost no lacing

S: Perfumy hops & a little grassyness

T: Apricots, lemony hops & little breadyness & honey up front. As this warms I get grapefruit & some boozey warmth & a firm malt background. Finishes warming with loads of lemony hops & some alcohol bite, like this as much as duvel taste-wise

mF: Low carbonation medium-heavy body & fairly slick

Drinks easy for the abv, not funky enough for Belgian-freaks, but I enjoyed it. It would advisable to stash a few bottles for aging & cooler weather

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

I’m always game for a bomber from Deschutes so I bought a couple bottles of this. This ale appears clear and golden in color; can you imagine that? There is almost no head save for a smattering of white bubbles in the middle of the Chimay chalice. The carbonation is rising steadily from the etching in the bottom. The smells I pick up are faint esters of cloves and thyme (weird). It tastes yeasty and fruity, maybe some apple. Mouthfeel is slightly bubbly to me. This is a good one and really seemed to open up as it warmed, I need to learn to let the bottle sit for awhile outside the fridge before I crack it. I think I will save the other bottle for a while. The alcohol is only barely noticeable. I really like the fact that Deschutes seasonal/big beers are not expensive (with the exception of Abyss which was going for $9 here in Colorado). This beer only cost $3.50 which was a very good price.

2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my St Feuillien goblet, the 19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale is definitely gold, almost into orange/bronze territory, clear and bubbly, with a thin eggshell head that quickly subsides.

The nose is very sweet, lots of candi sugar bubblegum, with phenols and too much fusel alcohol.

The taste is not as sweet as the nose, with pleasant fruity notes and a nice spiciness. However, there are lots of phenols and it's very boozy.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side for a BSPA (although it's really not very pale!) but there's a nice effervescence to temper it.

This was not the most drinkable example of the style, an average American version. It was not light enough and too boozy, even though it's only 8.7%. In that regard, it reminds me of hop henge, another from the Bond Street Series where there fermentation temps seem to have ran away from them. All and all, it was interesting to try, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a hold of hit. I's also not interesting enough for me to bother grabbing another to through in the cellar.

1.87/5  rDev -47.9%

Purchased 6-21 at Cedar Hills New Seasons. Consumed the same night so as to determine whether or not I'd be needing more.

The appearance didn't disappoint, but the aroma I was getting as I poured did. The beer was a few shades darker than golden, with an average head. No need to force it, and no need to ease back on the gas. It dissipated more quickly than I prefer. I didn't like the nose at all. Couldn't identify some of the more distinct aromas I was getting, but it just smelled too sweet and medicinal. I knew immediately that it was going to take me awhile to finish the beer. I couldn't believe it at first, but this beer actually had a slight malt liquor character to it. As I sipped, it only became more prevalent. The beer wasn't balanced at all. Far too malty for my taste, and I was actually getting hints of cough syrup. Overall, this is actually my least favorite beer I've tried in the last few years. Sorry to say it, because I love Deschutes. But it's the truth. I should note that I've been disappointed with many other belgian style ales in the past. Sometimes I wonder whether to chalk it up to abuse it may have suffered on it's journey to my fridge. I can't do that with this one though.

Just got this one in the store on Friday and am excited to try another release from the always-excellent Bond Street series. Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.
Body is a bright golden color topped by a small, short-lived, creamy white head. Aroma of sweet bubble gum emanates as soon as the cap is popped, but after the pour settles into a more subtle, malty sweetness with a hint of apples, plum, and other sweet fruit. Palate is mildly sweet up front, with a fruity and slightly bitter hop profile balancing things out. The body is just a tad sticky, which is just about perfect for the style. The nuances and esters are a little lacking compared to a true Belgian ale, but this is a good American interpretation. Good job Decshutes on branching out to a completely new style of beer.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Got the first two bottles I saw at Market of Choice today in Eugene. I've been waiting to try this one since I heard about it.

Pours a nice clear pale-straw yellow with a good head, not the strongest retention, but a pretty beer nonetheless.

Smells of citrus and noble hops, a very pleasant yeast smell comes through at the end too. So far so good.

Taste is very nice, the bitter hops come in first, followed by a great nose of belgian yeast, ending with a slight burn. Nicely balenced flavors. Good chewy mouth feel too. Perfect for the style.

Very drinkable brew here, tip of the hat to the Deschutes Brewery team once again. I look forward to putting a few of these down for a year or two to see how the hops and malts play out.

Cheers!