Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014

Added by MisterClean on 08-19-2008

4.5

Ratings: 1,418 |  Reviews: 518

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

I drank this from a 22 oz bottle into a rochefort glass.

The beer is a watery amber, brown with red highlights. The head is light brown rises about a finger but fades quickly leaving light carbonation on the rim of the glass. The lacing is very weak.

The aroma is medium in strength, represting some nice sour notes. There are light blackberries, vinegar and oak. Vinegar dominates the most.

The taste is much to light for my liking. There are very small vinegar and sour notes, but mostly I taste tea. There is an unpleasant funky sour after taste.

The beer is heavy and full and sticks to your mouth for several seconds.

This is not very drinkable. I could probably drink a bottle if I split it with someone but this would be the last time I'd drink this. I would not search this out or recommend getting it unless your a big time sour fan and just want to try it.

3.19/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It was okay .But for the style it fell short.

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Draught at the PDX pub, 10 oz in a large snifter, The Dissident is a clear, rusty amber with a small, bone colored, large bubbled collar that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is mostly cherry juice, not the kiddie kind, more natural food store, but still dominantly cherry, with alcohol and a bit of vinegary acetic acid. As it warms from the pretty much ice cold serving temp, it gains a metallic sharpness.

Taste is also very heavy on the cherries and booze, with lots of residual sugar and very little sourness. Chalky, and with a fair amount of fusels for a 9% fruit beer. Not overly sweet though, the dryness of the alcohol really cuts it on the finish. I just really wanted more tartness, and cleaner alcohol wouldn't have hurt either. This is just your average Oud Bruin with cherries, on the stronger, fruity end of the spectrum, which I don't care for as much. I just wish there was more funk - less Redbach and more Grand Cru please!
Before I even tried this though, I assumed the crow on the label was an obvious nod to the Duchesse and assumed it would be more in that vain, so I can't say I'm too surprised!

Mouthfeel is slick, but with a pretty lush, soft carbonation that cuts the viscosity, which is thick.

Drinkability is ok, but it was really a let down for me. I was hoping for a local version of Rodenbach Grand Cru, but this one is no where near as tart, complex or attenuated, and much fruitier. Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm not sure how much oak I got out of it either. Which is weird because oak aging is traditionally only used for Flanders Reds, which I vastly prefer to Oud Bruins, which this is sort of trying to be. Bottom line is it's really not my taste...also, it shouldn't have been served ice cold, but I didn't have time to sit there for an hr to wait for it to warm up.
Most telling is the blurb on the menu that cites "arguing for more time in the cellar..." Indeed! Less cherry juice and more funk and it would be better, and I'm hoping the bottles I bought will develop that after some serious long term storage. I just hope it doesn't turn to vinegar, or have all that sugar ferment into bottle bombs!
I had a bottle with a steak (Flanders style beers are my favorite pairing with steak), and it fared rather well, but still needed more acidity to match the fat.

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

Thanks to BigBlacke for supplying this one at a tasting

A-perfect honey amber colored with and off white colored head. its quite a joy to look at!

S-smells like caramel and booze and some cherry

T-initial impression is that this a very dry beer. it basically just tastes like a champagne and some caramel flavors. the after-taste is of cherries and some caramel. the ending is a bit tart but not too much. I have to admit that this is somewhat of a complex beer, and some people might find this wonderful, but it just doesn't impress me.

M-it has a hot medium carbonation with a very dry finish

D-its not a bad drinker but I just had a small glass of this and I'm not sure I could've finished an entire bottle

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%