The Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014

Added by MisterClean on 08-19-2008

10%
4.5

Ratings: 1,447 |  Reviews: 527

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

I went through hell to get this, as well as much communication w/ fellow beer bloggers and tweeters.... here I am in/near PDX and most of it went east... sucks... I got it at a bottle shop where the dude drove to Bend to buy the cases.... is it worth it? Let's see... I just got back from a bad ass tour and tasting at Cascade Brewings Barrel house... the worlds finest sours...

- Heavy pour into a short pint. Didn't seem to want to carbonate right away.... clear brown ale... fizzy quick white head... leaves a nice thin blanket of white... small ring....

- Funky brown sugar sweet and lightly tart scent... slight earth and dirty grass... hay, touch of bitter tart and junk... oak... mud... all and all its a funky oaked brew... let's see if the yeast and brett worked any magic...

- Syrupy sweet brown... rather woody and a touch sharp to the palate... some funk and woody character... certainly heavy, and contains a rather thick malt bill... tough to make such a strong sour.

- Sticky, sweet, syrupy... slightly hot but well blended enough.... heart burn...

- Yes, I am aging it rather fresh, but it took Deschutes some time to finally release this too... I am thinking it just wasn't ready enough then.... and it's still not ready now. For those that were blessed enough to have other vintages.. I am guessing this one will fall short.... The hype machine worked its magic... and I will go back to Cascade and have a better sour again.

3.47/5  rDev -17.4%

3.46/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

Big thanks to boatshoes for pullin this one in for me. Ive been wanting to try The Dissident for quite some time.

This is the 2010 Reserve. Best after 11/01/11, oops.

A- What a pretty colored beer. The semi-clear ale is the same color as the ink and wax Deschutes uses in the packaging for this beer. I must admit this is one of my favorite labels too. A 1 finger head is very fleeting and is responsible for only a few patches of lace that side back down the glass.

S- A very cherry nose. Sweeter black cherries greet you first with an almost cough syrup smell. There is a very acidic red wine and vinegar smell that comprises most of the body of the bouquet. A sharp funkiness of old wood runs along the deeper parts.

There is a very familiar smell that took me a moment to pinpoint. Its cranberry. Cranberry tartness is quite strong in the aroma.

T- Quite sour and very acidic. As far as I know a strong lactic/milky/vinegary sourness is the major characteristic this style is supposed to have, and in that respect this beer is right on point. Lots of vinegar, cherry, plum skin, cranberry. The finish has a pugnacious chemically taste. Its strange, like fusel alcohol mixed with cranberry and cherry extract. Perhaps drinking this one aged could help erase that bizarre finish.

M- Very dry with a mild carbonation.

D- Now I really wish I had another to age, or that I saw the best after date before I opened it. I think it may calm down a little and that bad finishing taste would fall out.

Ill be seeking this again for future experimentation.

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

Looks and smells the part but boozy/bitter city with slight tart and slight cherry. Nothing to write home over. 2014 vintage but didn't wait until "enjoy after date." compared to befuddlement this is literally bland and more like a red ale. Not a sour...

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

yet another goodie that i have decided to open with my new to the brew scene buddy craftsman21. so here it goes.

pours a thin light brown into my glass a small light tan head appears and then fades.

smell is tangy, sweet. cherries/ grapes.

taste is interesting. not great. but good. slight sour. nothing to over the top. paul says it has a few wine-esk qualities to it. i can see it. not to sure if im crazy about this. but i am also interested in seeing what happens to the bottle that is in my cellar.

mouth is very tangy. moderate carbonation. not over powering but it makes a nice appearance.

not at the top of my list but i would try it again. nice hustle deschutes

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Huge thanks to wisconsinality for busting this bad boy out. 2010 vintage. Bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Dark red hue. Small pinkish beige head. Tiny bit of lace no cap.

S: Juicy black cherries mixed with a hint of vanilla. Red rope licorice and hint of barrel wood. Just a hint of sour. Borderline medicinal.

T: The brown ale really comes through in the flavor. No where near as sour as i had hoped. Light sour cherry flavor. Brown sugar, vanilla and a touch of barrel. Again it reaches that medicinal cough syrup phase that I'm not thrilled with.

M: Full to medium creamy body. Light carbonation.

D: Well I know Deschutes has a best after date so I guess I can't be too surprised. Luckily I have a bottle in the cellar. I will adjust my score once I sample that one in a year.

3.37/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

Date: 04/26/2011
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glass: Portsmouth Tulip

Pours a light brown mahoghany in color w/ slight ruby red highlights w/ a 1 finger bubbly white head, that left light lacing. Aromas of vinegar, oak, cherries, and fresh cut hay. The taste was very odd! Started w/ a big strange funkiness(bandaids/oak/leather), and finishes w/ a light cherry mustiness. Where is the sour? I really had a hard time pinpointing the exact flavors in this one as it was a strange beast. Medium bodied. Tough to get thru this bomber alone, a few ounces would be good for me.

Overall, one of the most unique tasting brews I have had in awhile! Unique and different, but not really my thing. Would have liked some sour to go with my funk, but that never happened. Not a big fan and will not be seeking any more of this brew out.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery