The Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014

Added by MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Reviews: 487 | Ratings: 1,323
3.91/5  rDev -6%

October 2012 bottle shared generously by who else but cbutova. Had a 'drink after' date of August 2013.

Pour is darkish amber with some haze. A small off-white head forms a ring after some time and stays as such. Nose brings a good balance of tart dark fruits, red wine, and oak.

Taste once again brings an impressive balance. It's tart and oaky but not puckering or over the top. Dark fruits, red wine, brown sugar and vanilla. Incredibly smooth for 11+% with moderate carbonation, very drinkable.

Like The Abyss, this is a testament to making a complex 11% beer very subtle. Low-end sourness and acidity sets this apart some for the style and lets the wine barrel show through a bit more.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks goes to TRIFECTA for this beer.

Pours cola amber,pretty clear. Nice merangue creamy head piles up and falls to an offwhite cap. Smell is full. Dark cherries, fig, bready malt, leather, raspberry, some nice tropical bouquet, pineappley brett notes. Taste begins with a bit of malt character, followed up with pineapple, orange, cherries. Very tart, not overly sour as some wild ales can be. Brett offers a very nice tropical fruity flavor. Mouthfeel is creamy, a bit heavy, lightly carbonated. Solid beer.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

22oz Bomber
$11.49
Liquid Solutions

Dissident fills my glass a surprisingly clear handsome mahogany. A few tiny particles float here and there but in no way affect the clarity. The body absolutely glows when backlit as the tiny carbonation bubbles scatter to the surface. The khaki head grew to two fingers without a problem and slowly fell to a respectable cap that gets creamier and creamier as it settles. This head leaves behind some tight, sticky, intricate lacing. It makes me want to dive right in.

I really enjoy the smell of this brew, slightly acidic with a nice damp oakiness. The cherries are there but way in the back with a solid underlying sweetness. Each swirl to bring the head back to life brings forward more of the sweetness but after the head settles back down the somewhat tart acidity comes back to the forefront. I'm a big fan of the tartness in the nose and the wet oak but the sweetness is a little on the cough drop side but that fades quickly.

The flavor is exactly what the nose suggested. A quick flash of acidic vinegar and damp oak get things started in a nice way. The cherries come through with a nice tartness in the middles that segues into the acidity again on the swallow. This beer has all the makings of being excellent. Unfortunately the overall flavor seems to be somewhat flat and watery. The flavors are just lacking.

The body is medium when it first hits the tongue but the active carbonation adds some frothiness to the backend. There's a bit of tartness in the back that lingers slightly. This brew has a good body.

The flavor didn't come together as well as I would have liked but this beer is super drinkable, even for the high abv. Each glass I poured was gone before I knew it. The Dissident really goes down easy.

I enjoyed The Dissident quite a bit even though it didn't come together like I hoped it would. It did go down super easy and I'd like more of it now that my glass is empty. I don't know what some time will do but I doubt it will do much. Hopefully things get a little better here.

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%

On-tap at Portland pub for release day. Also bought 3 bottles for cellaring.

appearance - flat, transparent brown, carbonation only noticeable if you swish the glass

smell - cherries, faint oak, big funk

taste - tart cherries, funk/brett, alcohol

mouthfeel - light/medium body, low carbonation, oily

drinkability - flavorful but seems flat, not too sour, not ready for prime consumption yet, eager to see how the bottles do in the recommended 18 mos of aging

22oz bottle poured into snifter 2014 version

A: Small tight off white head looked soapy drops to a fizzy film body is a clear redish hue with what looks like decent carbonation.

S: wine grapes, vinegar, a little sour apple, cherries and a little oak

T: nice bit of wine flavors up front with a touch of sour giving way to some sweetness and residual sugars with maybe a little plum taste on the end with some lingering sweetness

M: sweet a touch cloying and a little prickly on the end makes the beer feel syrupy and a dryish finish

O: It isn't bad, very different the wine is definitely present but without that sour or bitterness. I think I would have a hard time telling you this was a belgian beer maybe from the candied residual sugars. It is a decent beer but not extraordinary either.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a nice reddish brown, decent bubbly head leaving great lacing. Smells of caramel, red wine vinegar, some barnyard funkiness, cherries, rasberries, alcohol. Tastes of mild fruity sourness up front followed by an earthy almost woody finish. Lots of lemony sourness, but not too much. Lots of flavor up front with a very neutral finish. Good mouthfeel, great carbonation.

My first Flanders Oud Bruin, not bad, but not great. Especially compared to lambics and Flanders reds. There is nice flavor up front, but not much on the back end. Maybe thats par for the style. Still, a decent beer.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

22oz bottle into AVBC snifter. 2010 vintage with best after date 11/01/11 printed on label.

A: Pours a glowing cranberry red with a thick off-white head that reduced into a thick collar that left rings of thick lacing down the glass.
S: Sweet and lightly tart notes of red berries, musty basement brett, and just a hint of alcohol.
T: Follows the nose with tart berries, musty brett, sugary fruit juice and a ton of grapefruit pith and orange zest. Flavors are vinous, spicy and almost peppery. The aftertaste is full of woody notes and is fairly dry. The sweetness in the brew sits on my lips long after the swallow.
M: Bubbly carbonation froths up in my mouth over a medium body and slick mouthfeel. Tartness isn't fully developed yet as this beer is still young, but there is a fair amount of gritty tannin.
D: Overall pretty good but I think age will do this one wonders. I can taste the complexities, but I think it could be better. I can't wait to see how it tastes after the best after date!

EDIT: 2010 vintage consumed 12/2012.
Drier and more developed than I remember, more complex. Definitely recomend a few years of age!

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

2010 batch. It wasn't until after I opened it that I saw the best after date of November 2011. I've read the discussions on this kind of dating, and I still think it's a ridiculous concept.

What a beautiful pour! Crystal clear burnished ruby and orange with a vanishing white head. Sometimes it just looks really damn good for no reason. Maybe I'm just thirsty.

The cherry is somewhat obvious on the nose, but it's hidden by slight acetone, salt, and oak. Smells more funky than sour. I'm going to go on record and say that it's really hard to get a good idea of aroma from many wild/sour beers, maybe from lack of head. If I swirl this thing any more it's going to go flat.

There are some great, some interesting, and some not too good flavors in this beer. Very, very complex; it changes a lot from sip to swallow. Mild acetic sourness complements flavors of old wood, sharp black cherry, tart candy, rhubarb, and bitter medicine lingering a little too long on a super dry finish.

Medium full body, and rather low carbonation. It would be nice if there were more bubbles to "wash away" the vinegar.

Nice Flemish sour, but I'd rather have Red Poppy or several Belgians any day.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Pours a darkened plum and thick raisined amber. Despite an aggressive pour there was a relatively minor reddish and copper hued head. Lacing was decent and the beer appears very heavy yet vibrant in the glass.

S: Tart cherry and cranberry aroma shocks the nose. A malt and fresh grape smell was thrown in for good measure. A ripened vinegar undertone is present but overall the smell hints that the taste will have some sour goodness.

T: Dominant sour cherry kick at the outset making the overall flavor tart and unique. There is a tinge of peppery vinegar and despite the 9% on the bottle it tastes (and inevitably feels) higher then that. A good balance between fruity bitterness and smoked oak honey. As the beer gets warmer the sweetness increases. I don't drink a lot of wine but it reminded me of the few times I have. I had no idea what to expect but enjoyed the sour and fruity aspects of this beer.

M: This is rather thin and slick in the mouth which is good considering the flavor and sour kick.

D: This beer does not hold back any punches. Maybe a good night cap or after dinner beer. I'm not that bright so it took me a little time to get this bottle open though that is pretty irrelevant. This is the first time I have tried this style and it was a welcome change from my norm. I will probably pick up another for long term storage.

3.87/5  rDev -7%

Label states best after 11/01/11, eh, it is a good thing I have 4 more bottles.

Pours a medium amber color with a bit of quickly disappearing off white head.

Smells: tart tart tart, acidic, sour cherries, malty smell in there too. A little boozy as it warms up.

Taste: Tart intensifies after a few seconds, harshens suddenly, then mostly disappears. Sour cherry is evident in the taste after a second in the mouth, and coasts through to leave a little of itself as aftertaste. As it warms I notice that that there was a good deal more malt sweet in the beginning, which becomes overtaken by the tart as it warms.

The beer defintely coats the mouth and is intense, but beyond a little residual sour cherry it doesn't stick around. The nature of sour beers makes it low in the area of drinkability.

This is a pretty nice beer for it being as young as it is and coming from a brewery that does not specialize in sours. The beer actually reminds me a lot of Russian River's Sanctification, their brett only beer, which is why at this young age it doesn't get a better score from me. Pure Brett, especially this young, is kind of harsh. It lacks the nuance I've experienced with RR's sours that make use of all three strands of sour yeasts- a bit of lactic acid would tame the tartness add a creamy mouthfeel. Still, I'm eager to try this again in a year or two.

3.87/5  rDev -7%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Best after 11/01/11. I got this almost a year ago in a trade and I cannot remember from whom; thank you whoever you were!

(A)- Pours a hazy crimson red color. Some white froth and lace.

(S)- A nice oaky tart cherry leather and tobacco character to it. Nice and dynamic with out being sweet. Very subtle funk.

(T)- Heavy on the oak but a dense cherry fruit to it with some subtle Brett and band aid character. Some tartness, but subtle.

(M)- A good carbonation level to it. A decent balance too, but slightly strange and medicinal.

(D)- A decent flanders, though I think it still possibly needs more time to develop better. The medicinal note became more and more prevalent as it warmed.

3.87/5  rDev -7%

Note: Bottle indicates 9% ABV, not 11%.

Pours deep amber to brown with an inch or so of off-white head that recedes somewhat quickly leaving very little lacing behind.

Sourness dominates the aroma, with hints of cherry, berries, overripe fruit, candy and bready yeast.

Flavor is intensely sour and fruity, with loads of cherry flavor and sort of a rasberry sherbert bite on the pallate. Hints of oak barely break through the sourness. Mouthfeel is bubbly and smooth like carbonated juice.

Might be the first beer from Deschutes I did not enjoy, but I do not seem to have a pallate for sour ales, so I've based my scores on my wife's impressions, as she prefers these types of offerings more than I do.

3.87/5  rDev -7%

pours a copper red with a minimal head. aroma is beast, typical flanders with a strong sour cherry note. taste isnt as good, medicinal notes overpower flanders taste and sour cherries fade to the finish, i am a bit disappointed, this is not as good as i expected. off tastes effect the mouthfeel, almost puts the brakes on my tastebuds, ill take a red poppy any day over this

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch one, red wax sealed bomber poure into a tulip glass. Thanks to my buddy Wilson in Portland for the case.

Pours a mysterious clouded brown with touches of red. Head is a light sandy tan, moderate to small size with dense pearly bubbles and outstanding lacing for a sour. The primary aroma I am picking up is definitely the funk! Tart and catty with sour cherries.

I have been lucky enough to sample this beer fresh, after about six months, and we are now closing in upon a year in a month or two. Thel last time I sampled this brew I noiced an increasing sour presence, and as of right now it feels like the funk is really taking precedence. I was ecstatic to try this beer when I heard Deschutes was making an Oud Bruin, and every time I taste how this beer is alive and ever evolving.

The Dissident's flavors are funkcentric at the moment. A mild-moderate sourness tempered with heady cherry funk is central. It is somewhat catty and lactic. If you are into funk this thing is just getting better and better, though personally I prefer a more lacto sourness that was evident earlier in the year. Medium body with a medium smooth effervescence. The carbonation is delightful, though could be a bit more prickly.

I wonder where this beer will go next. It was drinking great for me when it was first bottled, and even better after six months. Now it is getting more funk in the complexity arena. It is a bottle I would recommend sharing, but I am enjoying the ride.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Deep brownish red with a rather small tanned head that actually stays on for a while before settling. Some lacings.

S: The smell is quite interesting. There is a prominent mix of tart vinegar and clean brett aromas going on with notes of really funky barnyard, cherry tannins, red wine-like grapes, grass, yeast and wet wood. Hints of oaky vanilla. A complex small, but slightly too edgy.

T: The taste is not as complex nor as interesting as the smell would have you to believe. It's actually quite sweet with prominent malty flavors of caramel coupled with pleasant tart fruit aromas (cherries and grapes). Complementary, somewhat clean, brett aromas and notes of mud, oak, grass and vanilla. Hints of yeast. The finish has a mild bitterness to it, brett, sweetish alcohol and dry cherry notes. I think it would have benefited from less alcohol flavors.

M: Medium, almost full body, and medium carbonation which is not how I want a Flanders Oud bruin to be - I prefer them with more carbonation. It's actually almost smooth and sticky.

D: A fairly good attempt at a style that seems hard to master outside of the boarders of Belgium. It's slightly too heavy and big to be really good. The additions from the cherries are really nice though.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Reddish brown color, very small head. Smells like sour fruit, with a bit of malt. I'm not really sure what to compare this too... But i was pleasantly surprised. slight vinegar taste, not too sour. just enough to give it a nice twang. slightly spicy and peppery. Medium carbonation level. the sourness does a nice job of scrubbing the palate. I like this beer. i haven't had too many sours before, so i don't have much to compare it too... but i like it.

poured into tulip glass.

2010 vintage.

Appearance: mahogony red bodied beer with a thin white head. Drops to a thin cap.

Smell: Vinegar, fruity, cherries, a wierd plastic note.

Taste: Cherrys, and white grapes. Mild vinegar and a mild tartness. Malty backbone that is eqaul to or stronger than the sour notes from this beer. Its got a plastic flavor it it as well.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with low carbonation.

Overall: It was decent, but I was a little bit dissapointed by this beer. I think I need to try a fresh bottle to give it a fair shot.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to julian for this one

Poured a 22oz bottle into a New Belgian globe glass. This beer pours a reddish mahogany that really shows its red highlights when held up to the light. The head started out as a pillow-y 2 inch beige head that left no lacing what so ever and melted into a lily pad. The aroma is woody up front, with sour pie cherries, and apple cider vinegar. The taste follows suit with sour cherries, oak, and raisins. The mouthfeel is light and crisp leaving a slight dryness. This is a great first attempt at a sour from Deschuttes and I for one, would love to see this as a continual effort from them.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

2008 vintage wax dipped bottle recieved in a trade with Brotherliam. Thanks for the assist.

A- Deschutes Dissident pours out a rustic mix of red and brown bordering on burgundy. A nice 1 1/2 to 2 finger tan head rised up and left a decent amount of spotty patching around the glass. Pretty nice retention on the cap as I see a mass of bubbles rising to the top.

S- A lot of fruit in the nose up front with a nice amount of cherries, apples, ripe grapefruit and some lemon freshness. Oak is also apparent and upfront while the vinegar smell is not pronounced than in other versions of this style. Also getting some spices that I cannot place right now.

T- A nice mix of sweet and sour with spices added. A burst of the afformentioned fruits come in with the cherry and green apple taking the lead. A good amount of oak from the barrel is there and pleasant and creates a vanilla flavor as well. A bit of cinnamon among other spices, brown sugar as well. Dissident almost has a cider like quality to it. The spices in dissident is what sets it apart from others in this style.

M- Dissident is light to medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation but nothing overboard. It is definatly present on the tounge but created a smooth texture. I'm not getting any of the 9% which is probably drowning in all those spices. This does have a nice tartness in the mouth as well, not to puckering though.

D- A 9% Flanders Old Bruin, I don't think i've ever had one this high in ABV for this style but I had no problem killing the bottle. Not the most balanced in this style, but this is the first generation bottling so maybe some kinks will be worked out for future releases. This one demands that you take your time with it as I did, nursing it for about two hours.

A great take on the style and i am interested to see how this one progresses.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle courtesy of scray24.

The aroma was pruney & tangy, the taste was complex with what appeared to be strong cherry & malt. The tartness was perfect and the alcohol well masked. I did however find a less than wonderful after taste that really effected the drinkability, I can't put my finger on it but it really lingered way too long.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours caramel with a slight amber hue and a small khaki head. Smells lacto sour, brown sugar, cherries and apples, a slight hint of some vanilla and the wine barrels. Some alcohol in the finish. Amazing flavor and quite complex. Some sour lacto, tart cherries, apple, a little funky, the barrels, and some leather. I expected more alcohol to be noticeable than there actually was which was a nice surprise. A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, a really nice beer even 11 months prior to its best after date, I can only imagine how good it will be then.

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2014 batch at the Beer Hive in Salt Lake City.

After I ordered this, I realized this was aged in wine barrels. I let out a groan; I have the tendency to think it will taste winey and vinegary. It sure did with this one. The barrels lend a strong winey taste to it - too much that the sourness is an afterthought. It did have a nice sourish flavor with a decent malt backbone and strong notes of cherries. But the vinegar and wine notes were overwhelming. I also found the beer to be a bit under-carbonated. My opinion: keep the wine barrels away from this. Try an oak barrel or maybe even a whisky barrel. I did enjoy this, but it wasn't La Folie.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

10/11/08- Purchased at Bottle Barn, in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, 2008 release. Waxed cap and poured into my Orval chalice.

Appearance- Kind of a filtered apple cider color. A bit ruby red, a bit brown. Small 1/4 inch head, if that with a light rim remaining through the beer. Leaves light watery lace spotting...about the norm for any Oud Bruin I've had.

Smell- Very light nose. Oak is the main flavor, but still not that strong. Cherries, maybe some raspberries and a light earthy nose.

Taste- For an american made Oud Bruin..excellent, for an overall Oud Bruin, better than average. Has a really nice cherry base. It's tart but not too tart. Actually, I would have preffered a bit more sour in the taste. Oak flavor swirls around with cherry as the main flavor. It does have some slight earthy-mushroom-truffle-dirt flavor.

Mouthfeel- The one drawback I have is that it really does not have a lasting mouthfeel of any kind. Once you take a sip the flavor is gone. The carbonation is about right with a light, but sharp and prickly feeling.

Drinkability- One I would buy again, but probably not worth the double digit price tag due due to the hype. Still, a really good job by Dechutes. Almost a great beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft. Sampled on 12/10/10 at Pracna on Main. Had 2 glass, the first poured into a tall pils glass a clear copper amber color with very little head. The second pour was into a snifter and did have a slight tan head. Aroma is that of sour cherries and slight acidic notes, very minimal aroma with some sweetness. Medium/light mouthfeel with slight carbonation. Slightly boozy. Cherry taste with white wine characteristics. Woody. The Brett is pretty subdued, may be interesting how time treats this. Easy drinking but with all the craziness over this in MN, I'm really note sure if it deserves the hype.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Orange amber in color topped off with just off white head. Great lacing and pretty good clarity.

S: Sour lemon and hints of metal shavings.

T: Lots of funky spicy flavors meld with oxidized cherries and overripe strawberry. Subtle fruity tartness with a touch of acetic acid (acetone/shoe polish like).

M: Prickly

O: I'm thinking this has some potential to age into something nice but I think it will take 3-5 years to do so.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery