The Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014

Added by MisterClean on 08-19-2008

10%
4.5

Ratings: 1,436 |  Reviews: 521
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

A clear red tinged mahogony / tawny port appearance. Slight dusting of cream colored head that did not last. Smell and taste are both very reminiscent of Rodenbach Grand Cru and, to a lesser degree, Duchesse. Best descriptor I can give is an Imperial Rodenbach Grand Cru. The aspect of this beer that is most amazing to me, would have to be the ABV. How on earth can this be 11%? The strength of this beer is simply buried by the craftsmanship involved. Quite drinkable, limited only by your tolerance for sweet sours. Most enjoyable.

1.82/5  rDev -56.7%

22oz bottle $8.99. I poured this into a snifter and put on Pearl Jam (because I am corny and the namesake of this beer is a good song). Clear, ruby red which seems odd but then I am no expert on flanders reds or oud bruins. First whiff gave off burnt rubber but quickly moved on to a lightly sour vinegar aroma with cherries with the rubber still darting in from the back and a slight touch of alcohol. Nice sour flavors of cherries, just enough to make my mouth slightly pucker but nothing like Supplication or La Folie sour, much more muted and that rubber makes a brief appearance in the flavor. I actually wanted to like this more but I have had too many good sours this year and I am not sure I could taste any hint of wood and the rubber aromas and flavors were off-putting. This is not hard to drink however and does get better as it warms (like most beers).

update 10/12/08
The second bottle contains no rubber and tastes/smells better. Maybe because I drank some Isabelle just prior?

update 06/06/09
Dirty smell with a little cherry sour funk, tastes ok but then reminds me of chloroseptic, ugh. The smell gets much better as it hits room temp. The sournes is cool but the flavor is just ok

update 10/3/13 - 2012 vintage

fucking awful drainpour.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear ruby hued brown. Nose is appley vinegar. Wood is there too. Mellow but nice. Flavor is surprisingly smooth and unabrasive. Regardless of the intensity, it's still quite smooth. Very rounded flavor profile. Wood, maturely sweet fruits. It's just a nice combo. So smooth that I give the 4.5 for flavor; but I can see how that could get debatable. Smooth feel. Carbonation could stand to be slightly less biting IMO. I do like this beer. It's well made and another reason why I hate Deschutes for not distributing all the way over here.

Thanks to urwatuh8 for a sweet Deschutes hook up.

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle served in a Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Appearance: poured red with 1.5 finger head

Smell: sour cherries, complex and sweet

Taste: complex sweetnedd, sour fruit, cherries and plums, cranberry, small hop bite, taste diminished when it warms up

I believe this is a better Flander's ale than Rodenbauchs and it should be served cold.

206 vintage 11/4/2017

Not the best. Very sweet and lacks complexity. The cherry is strong and medicinal. Slightly tart. Strong wine character and some oaky tannins. Meh. Rating went down from a 4.33.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

2008 Bottle received in a trade from Beereality thanks for the opportunity!

Appearance: A crisp mahogany without much murkyness. 1 finger cream colored head quickly dissipates to nothingness.

Smell: Very lively and enticing mix of grapes, oak, cherries, and some vinegar. Not as sour or as vinegar like as other oud bruins which leads me to thinking it will be quite drinkable.

Taste: Not as complex as the nose and my suspicion about the high drinkability is accurate. The fruitlike qualities of cherries, grapes, and red wine meet some butter cream, salt and vinegar and are presented in a well balanced mix. Aftertaste is minimal for the style. I was hoping for more from the wild yeast they boast about using on the bottle. The taste has many less dimensions than the smell.

Mouthfeel: Mildly dry, medium body for the style, low carbonation.

Drinkability: Extremely high for the style and for a 9% alcohol brew.

This is an outstanding American attempt at an Oud Bruin. Its well balanced and toned down compared to some of the more extreme examples of this style. If bold is what you are looking for you will be disappointed.

I've ordered 2 more bottles from Bottle Trek and am glad I did. My thoughts were to cellar them but the brew is already so drinkable and smooth that I don't think additional aging would enhance this brew.

2008 BOTTLE 9/27/09 REVIEW: 1 YEAR LATER TO THE DAY

I decided to crack open my last Dissident today and when I looked up my initial review I was surprised to see that I had written it exactly one year ago!

Appearance and smell are the same as a year ago. The flavor hasn't improved at all. If anything the yeast is the same to slightly more pronounced. Mouthfeel is getting a touch thinner. I liked it a touch better fresh. I'd say drink em now if you still have em.

2010 BOTTLE 3/25/11 REVIEW

A: Pours a red tinged caramel with a 1 finger off white (yellow to caramel) crown displaying mod. retention and lace.

S: Same as 2008 bottle samples...my favorite aspect of this brew!

T: Much more wine like than 2008 for me.

M: Same

O: 4.0

Label says best after 11.1.11 and I should have listened to it.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at CBS in SF. Picked up a few bottles too, so may edit this as I get into those over time.

A: A nice deep mahogany, not much of a head

S: Sweet tart cherries. Pleasant sourness

T: Awesome. A wonderful fruity flemish sour. Prominent tart fruit. Refreshing

M: Great acidity. This one goes down great.

D: Just about as drinkable as they come. I really can't believe this thing is 11% abv.

Truly an awesome beer. I'd put it up against the best Belgians out there.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Service Temperature, 50 degrees. Service Glassware, 12 ounce tulip.

Appearance, is burgundy and clear with a medium off white foamy head that recedes leaving an island of head and a ridge-line of lace inside the glass.
The nose is very complex, with a transcinding of oak, red grape, clove, minor brown sugar, and alcohol.
The mouth on this beer is both medium and dances between a slight phenol, a medium sourness, some cloying, and a minor strawberry.

An interesting edition to the Deschute's line of specialty beers. I welcome more, ;)

Cheers

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a dark mahogany color and has a thin tan head. The nose is tart up front followed by some sweet malts and a bit of musty funk. The taste is similar. A good amount of sour fruits and big candy malts. I would like to see some more funk in both areas, however there is a unique sweetness that makes up for any loss in funk. Medium body is well carbonated. For a 9% sour, this is quite drinkable. Probably closer to a red than bruin, but still quite good. One of the better American versions of this style I've had. Probably could have used more time in the barrels

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured out of the 22oz bottle into a couple of goblets a firm reddish brown with minimal head and a super sweet, sultry salty, sour, and savoury scent. Sipping this sublime and sensual offering, a sheer sourness stings true but sees the sunshine on the finish with a spicy and salty sheet with small swallows.

This should be read aloud with a serious lisp.

P.S. this beer is great.

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from the bottle, into a tulip glass.

Poured dark almost red/purple. About an inch of head, decent lacing.

Smell, was fruity, like berries, and a stong cherry scent came out.

Taste was pretty sweet, and fruity, and quite sour. I could taste the cherries I smelled earlier. Had a little woody taste int he finish.

I liked this beer, not one I would drink on a normal occasion, but it was enjoyable.

Bought at Whole Foods in Bellevue, WA

A: dark brown/amber color with nice highlights of dark cherry/deep orange. A decent layer head forms from an aggressive pour leaving a 1/2 finger layer of lightly tan colored bubble foam that quickly disappears.

S: Mildly tart aroma...Lactic acid. Not as sour as I thought it would be. some spicy essence here, mostly clove, but also cinnamon possibly. Brandy like alcoholic aroma, with the fermented smell of ripe dark cherries, grapes. There's also an earthy woody feeling to this beer. Quite a lot of layers actually that take time to really appreciate. Take your time taking in the aromas of this one!

T&M: Ooo, I like this...a lot! This is actually quite an awesome beer. Taste is subtle tannins, slightly acidic with a uniquely balance of tart and sweet fruits. Mildly carbonated, easy drinking; not puckering at all. Tartness awakens the taste buds on the first sip, smooths out and provides a wonderful aftertaste of sweet woody cherries, almost wine like.

D: This is kind of similar to a Lambic in that it uses wild yeast, but the degree of sourness is VERY mild compared to beers such as Rodenbach and Cantillon. This is a very easy drinking tart beer that sweetens quickly and flows across the palate leaving you completely satisfied. All I can say is I'm glad I bought 6 bottles of this the day it was released. $60 well spent!

2.08/5  rDev -50.5%

Rusted brick colored brew with a well lasting white head. Really poor nose. Main complaint is the poor concentration and vibrancy and the aromatic elements that are present are mostly unpleasant, brash and unauthentic. Notes of sweet cherries, vanilla and oak are present in the nose, but mostly covered by the unpleasant aromas. Flavor is initially sweet in the front and mid-palate and then fades into a sour harshness towards the finish. Really poorly balanced and brash. Unauthentic and very hard to drink. Some serious problems with this beer: Sterile filtered and force carbonated, aging a portion in wood for only 3 months (not long enough and age the whole beer.) But the bottom line is the flavor and aroma suck. Blah.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Brenda was kind enough to head to the store today after I found out the Dissident was finally in Boise... she picked me up a bottle for about $12... the anticipation is over... it's going into my smokestack goblet.

1" head.. good retention.. spotty lacing.. brew is brown until deep cherry juice red highlites are revealed when held to a light.

the aroma is way more complex than I can explain.. acetic.. subtle lactic... some cabernet and wood... fruity without being overdone.. cherries and a little bit of almond.

Flavor is also very complex.. but I'm gonna try. more than enough body to make all of the flavors stick around for a while.. tannic and oakey... but in a good way.. strawberry jam components with some balsamic vinegar.. some winey notes are fleeting.. with each sip something else jumps out at me.. all the flavors are soft yet separate.. very tasty.

the bigger body on Dissident and the fact that it isn't overly sour.. makes this a big drinker.. I am lovin it.

4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

beautiful ruby-brown color with a large puffy head.

sour and sweet smell

the flavor is the same, a bit of dark fruit. very good. i hope to find more of this stuff.

i could see this becoming a bit viscous and whatever, but i only had one and could see drinking this often.

the 11 percent alcohol doesn't come through that strong for me. delicious and deceptive.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

Have been greatly looking forward to this. Thanks Liquid Solutions!

Pours a clear brown. Held to the light, some reddish amber hues. Almost no head at first, then it builds to an inch or so of off-white foam.

I like the aroma. Some sour apple and cherry, maybe some barnyard funk lurking about. Taste is sublime, with a strong funky undercurrent that sweeps through everything with barnyard mustiness, but plenty of popping fruit flavors; cherry, unripe apple, and ... a bit of raisiny/pruney sweetness.

Can't taste the alcohol. Mouthfeel is decent. The vinegariness so prevalent in this style of beer is very, very muted.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Pours a darkened plum and thick raisined amber. Despite an aggressive pour there was a relatively minor reddish and copper hued head. Lacing was decent and the beer appears very heavy yet vibrant in the glass.

S: Tart cherry and cranberry aroma shocks the nose. A malt and fresh grape smell was thrown in for good measure. A ripened vinegar undertone is present but overall the smell hints that the taste will have some sour goodness.

T: Dominant sour cherry kick at the outset making the overall flavor tart and unique. There is a tinge of peppery vinegar and despite the 9% on the bottle it tastes (and inevitably feels) higher then that. A good balance between fruity bitterness and smoked oak honey. As the beer gets warmer the sweetness increases. I don't drink a lot of wine but it reminded me of the few times I have. I had no idea what to expect but enjoyed the sour and fruity aspects of this beer.

M: This is rather thin and slick in the mouth which is good considering the flavor and sour kick.

D: This beer does not hold back any punches. Maybe a good night cap or after dinner beer. I'm not that bright so it took me a little time to get this bottle open though that is pretty irrelevant. This is the first time I have tried this style and it was a welcome change from my norm. I will probably pick up another for long term storage.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a nice reddish, brown color with a decent amount of foam. Solid lacing left on the glass.

S: Cherries, sour fruit, other berries, and a hint of sweetness in the nose. Solid. What I would want from an Oud Bruin.

T: This is damn tasty. Damn. Tasty. Cherries, some sweetness, a decent amount of sourness. Not puckering, but close. I would actually love it if this were a bit more sour. Rich in flavor though. Alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

M: Smooth, effervescent, and easy going down. No alcohol burn in this one.

D: Damn. I could throw this down easily. Anytime, anywhere. It drinks smooth, and it drinks way easy. It's delicious, and were it readily available, I would be stocked up on it.

3.87/5  rDev -7.9%

Note: Bottle indicates 9% ABV, not 11%.

Pours deep amber to brown with an inch or so of off-white head that recedes somewhat quickly leaving very little lacing behind.

Sourness dominates the aroma, with hints of cherry, berries, overripe fruit, candy and bready yeast.

Flavor is intensely sour and fruity, with loads of cherry flavor and sort of a rasberry sherbert bite on the pallate. Hints of oak barely break through the sourness. Mouthfeel is bubbly and smooth like carbonated juice.

Might be the first beer from Deschutes I did not enjoy, but I do not seem to have a pallate for sour ales, so I've based my scores on my wife's impressions, as she prefers these types of offerings more than I do.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Ruby/brown with decent head that subsides to a ring of bubbles around my glass, with a baleen whale-shaped hamlet of smaller bubbles grazing in the middle. Not much haze and no sediment.

Smell: Sour cherries, a little tart apricot or nectarine, and some sweet cherry pie!!!! A little funk presence too. This beer was certainly not brewed with Speedstick, as I can smell a couple sweaty socks thrown in for good measure.

Taste: The flavor is predominated by sour cherries. Very tart, and somewhat dry finish. A little cider vinager. Not sourpunch overkill. I like.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium. Carbonation level comes correct, and complements the sour twang and dry finish nicely.

Drinkability: For a sour beer, pretty drinkable. BA claims Dissident is 11% ABV. The bottle says 9%. 9 sounds more accurate, based on the drinkability. Regardless, at a minimum, this should be sold in a smaller bottle in addition to the bomber.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Poured with a fluffy light brown head that left decent lacing. Typical Oud Bruin coloring, a deep mahogany. Very appetizing.

S: The first thing I get, besides cherries, is cinnamon and yeast. At this point my mouth is watering.

T: Very similar to Duchese de Bourgogne in execution, with a little more finesse. Tart from the cherries, but not overly so. Next comes the brown sugar, and a little bitt of oak. Almost has some characteristics of a good Monterrey Pinot Noir.

M: Smooth and well balanced. One of the best Oud Bruins I've had in quite a while.

D: If it were cheaper and more available, I would drink it all the time. Highly reccomended.

4.83/5  rDev +15%

This was amazing. Gorgeous nut brown with lace and very clear. Begged to be consumed. Smelled sour, with brown sugar and fig. Tasted the sourness upfront, but backed with a solid sweetness of brown sugar, fig, some dark and red fruit, toasty malt, and buscuity malt.
The flavors and carbonation danced around on the tongue, and the layers of flavor kept changing. The mouthfeel was exceptionally balanced with carbonation and viscosity of the beer. Smooth, crisp, warming, and intriguing.
I felt like I was drinking this all night, and not being conservative, but I didn't even finish my snifter. Oddly enough, I felt totally satisfied.
One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Opening this beer was a task and my only one complaint. Once I Scraped enough of the wax off the top to get at the cap and pry it off everything went perfectly.

I poured from my 750 mL bottle into a wine glass.

The color was brown with a touch of red light.

The sent of the beer was roasted malts, cinnamon and some yeast.

This is where I was blown away. From the smell I was expecting something more malty and richer. I was quite surprised. The beer was refreshingly tart. I had read that there was wild yeast on the bottle but I wasn't expecting something this fruity. It tastes like Bananas, Tangerines, a touch of Chocolate, Black Cherries and a lingering yeast on the back of my tongue.

The mouth feel was also great. The beer wasn't too dry and didn't have any noticeable presence of alcohol. Smooth all the way down. Not over/under carbonated.

This beer made me feel just a little like Goldilocks. It was "Just right."

I'm going to be picking up a few more bottles of this guy by the end of the week. Time to share this great find with my friends and family. Not to mentions hoard a little for my self.

NOTE: ABV was 9% on the bottle

1.9/5  rDev -54.8%

For $10 this has to be one of the worst ales I've ever had, or maybe just not my cup of tea.

Poured with a red color nice whiteish brown head.
The cherry taste is to overpowering and leaves an awful after taste.

Not a very drinkable beer in my opinion.

3.78/5  rDev -10%

pours a clear brown with a red tint, small tan head that dissipates quickly, above average carbonation, good lacing.

smell is sour, fruit, malt, alcohol, some woodiness to it.

taste is tart, raspberry, sour malt, oak, ends dry and bitter, leaves the mouth tart.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A vigorous pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a frothy, somewhat large bubbled, initially three-finger thick, lightly amber tinged, tan colored head. The beer is dark amber / plum color that shows an almost brilliantly clear, light cranberry color when held up to the light. The aroma is quite wine like as it smells of dark fruit and oak. Further inspection yields a noticeable, but light, lactic tartness that accentuates aromas of sour grapes, tart plums and fermented raisins. The oak is the most dominant part of the nose with spicy oak notes, a woody tannic sort of thing, a touch of butterscotch, and some light vanillin notes towards the finish. This actually gets fairly toasty towards the finish (a bit like lightly browned saltine crackers) that is definitely malt induced but could also be from some toasty oak influence. The fruit aromatics get a touch jam like as the beer warms up a bit too.

Fairly thick and chewy with a tart, fruitiness that sort of clings to the palate, but doesn't provide much, if any at all, sweetness. The oak character seems to have contributed lots of tannic structure that has influenced the body and mouthfeel of this beer. this has quite a bit of berry-accented red wine like flavors to it as well as just a touch of perceived fruity sweetness. The finish has a fair amount of oak influence, but it is only one part of this beer and does not play the leading role that it did in the aroma. The tartness is actually less than it was in the aroma too, even though it was fairly light there. This has a substantial, flavorful, though somewhat soft, sour cherry flavor to it, especially as the beer warms up; both the flavorful tannic skin contributes to the flavor as does a fleshy cherry fruitiness. As it warms it also picks up some concord grape flavors as well as definitely getting more sweet.

This is a really easy drinking sour beer; it is very soft for a wild fermented beer and quite clean. The wine barrels and cherries almost seem to be more influential than the wild bugs, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. This is actually on the simplistic side for something that could have been funky and challenging; on the plus side though it is quite refined. This is fantastically drinkable, especially considering its alcohol content & I definitely like the bright fruit character that is here as well as the balance provided by the oak character.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ