Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014

Added by MisterClean on 08-19-2008

4.5

Ratings: 1,419 |  Reviews: 518

2.5/5  rDev -40.5%

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 650mL bomber. This is the 2012 run of Dissident, drank July 24, written from my notes.

Nose: As soon as the seal was broken the scent of sour cherries hit my nostrils. Very tart, sharp aroma. It's a familiar smell from other sour cherry ales, but Dissident is stronger, sharper than anything else I've had. Lots of cherry here, but not overly sweet - the funkiness is very much there. Some oak, vinegar as well.

Taste: Wow, reminds me of Driftwood's Belle Royale but on steroids. That great cherry sourness hits pretty solidly right away, moderately sweet. Very dry finish and it has a sharpness that I'd liken to extra old cheddar - this last trait is what's unique about Dissident for me. It actually wasn't until I had drank about 200mL that I noticed the ABV - I had assumed it was similar to other sour cherry ales I've had but it was significantly higher at 11.4%. This surely has a lot to do with that sharpness I found.

Overall: Really good if not a little overly acidic for me. I find it so powerful that it has to be a special occasion beer - it lacks the accessibility of some of the less potent sour cherry ales, but accessible is not something it's going for.

2.5/5  rDev -40.5%

4.51/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Saint Somewhere wine-style glass. Label says Best After 8/20/13

A- Pours a semi-murky reddish light brown color with a 1/8 inch light tan head that's short-lived and soon dissipates to a thin ring around the edge of the glass and minimal surface foam. Non-resilient lacing leaves a thin ring behind on the glass.

S- Aroma is bursting with lactic acid bringing notes of tart cherry, sour apple and wine-like alcohol fumes.

T- The oak comes through wonderfully in this beer as it meshes with the fruit and tartness to create a balanced and drinkable combination. Not incredibly sour and the alcohol is masterfully hidden. I almost wish there was just a tad more flavor but this pretty much hits the spot. Semi-astringent oak aftertaste.

M- Slight pucker but quite quenching. Low carbonation and a medium body.

O- This is one knockout of a sour but it's so subtle in its execution. A slow sipper but every one is a delight.

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: beautiful blood red in color, huge carbonation… creating a solid fingers worth of khaki colored head formation that dissipates quickly, but leaves a slight film.

S: huge cherry sourness right up front assaulting the nostrils. Picking up on a enormous raspberry character as well. Big vinous characters, huge French oak barrels are amazing as well… some slight touches of barnyard funk, hay and even a slight tinge of manure.

T: wow… not really what the smell had to offer. I was expecting more acidity and fruit forward beer due to the aromas, but this is not what getting. I pick up on huge French oakiness that dominates the palate. An enormous amount of sugary syrup. Cherries are definitely evident but they fall way behind the big oak. There is a big dryness here, with characters of hay and barnyard funk but the balance is off.

M: heavy side of a medium bodied brew (not quite full bodied for the style). The finish is an immense sugary sweet maple with an enormous dry oaky wine finish.

O: awesome appearance and awesome aroma. But it immensely lacks in balance, taste and mouthfeel. Very happy to split this bottle with one other person.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed as part of Blind BIF round 8

A: Pours a murky, cloudy copper color. Very thin off-white head, holding only onto the edge of the glass.

S: An interesting sweet aroma with the subtlest underlying tart bite. A little cherry perhaps. A touch of honey possibly too.

T: Lightly acidic, but more sweet than anything. Cherries definitely on my mind, but I could be way off. I don't even think I know what style this is. It looks like a Barleywine, but it doesn't taste like one.

M: Medium bodied, somewhat creamy, with just the perfect amount of carbonation. Absolutely no alcohol detectable, which is impressive at 11.4.

O: This is a pretty tasty brew, and getting better as it warms. Sweet, but not overdone. Much lighter tasting than the alcohol would lead you to believe. Since I'm completely dumfounded here, I'll guess its so sort of American Barleywine, but I don't feel confident about it.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

In the interest of full disclosure, I was pretty bombed when I cracked this bomber...solo.
I'm not a huge sour-style fan but I grabbed two of these upon release and tossed them away...until last night.
Smelled like bottled Cherry Clan's...if you remember what those are.
Poured a nice golden hue into a tulip glass...minimal head.
Each sip got better and better...but it could also be my buzz that got better and better (its 11+%) and was super enjoyable.
As I said, I'm not big into this style but if this was the benchmark, I'd be into it all day.
A very enjoyable beer, even if its a month before its "best after" date.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery