The Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014

Added by MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Ratings: 1,407 |  Reviews: 515

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%

My buddy Jeff picked this one up for me while he was on a road trip out in Colorado, so muchas gracias to him. Review is from notes taken on 10/26/2012 and poured from the bottle (2010 vintage).

Appearance: Pour is a nice, ruddy caramel brown with a hint of ruby red to it; starts with a nice one finger, thick and lush head that is slightly off-white; head has good retention and it eventually fades down to a full, complete skim, albeit just a touch uneven; body is murky/cloudy, but shows strong enough carbonation bubbling up near the sides of the glass; plenty of lacing is left behind, but only where it swaths up to my mouth when I tip it to drink and none rests on the rest of the glass where it's been worked down.

Smell: Smell is so nice -- plenty of tart and acidic cherries, but there is also a certain sweetness laying in there with it, perhaps some caramel malt; definite funk, and the tartness is making my mouth water. Can't. Wait.

Taste: Tart cherries lead the way, and there is an acidic and strong bitterness (perhaps a bit lactic?) underneath it; just a touch of the sweetness mentioned in the nose as it's pretty much dominated by tart funkiness; alcohol is entirely masked.

Mouthfeel: Body is fairly light, a touch creamy; obvious pucker factor from the acidity and tartness, but it's not overwhelmingly so, so there's a nice balance to the body.

Overall: A great beer to be sure, but I'm not blown away by it like I was hoping to be. Perhaps is as good as it's supposed to be and I've only grown as an Advocate. I would love to have it again and again. I almost wish I would have drank it fresher to see if there would have been a difference, but I don't feel that it lost too much based upon reviews I've read.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

2012 Bottle opened on 10/25/2012

A: A very nice reddish brown color. Very little head that dissipated immediately.

S: Smells great. Huge wine smell with yeast funk and oak.

T: I was a little let down by the taste. I was hoping for something a little more sour. You can definitely taste the cherry, some nice funk and plenty of citrus flavors. Hopefully some age will intensify the sour notes.

M: Medium body. A little light on the carbonation. Nice dry finish.

O: Definitely a good beer and well worth the $13. Hopefully some age will bring out some more sour notes. It smells great, but the taste was not as puckering as I'd hoped it would be. Still an excellent beer!

2.82/5  rDev -32.2%

I have a lot of mixed emotions about this beer. Its smells wonderfully of cherry, and the nose on it is very complex. Whispers of alcohol permeate from the snifter I am using. The faint foamy head dissipates quickly. My first drink into this beer tells me this moment is going to be quite awkward. My palate has cherry, oak, sweet caramel and a flush of acidity almost like a deep red wine such as a shiraz. It seems to be lacking of carbonation and has almost medicinal qualities. While I am not found of this beer I can appreciate the creativity and artistry it takes to develop a product such as this.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Best After 8/20/13. Pours a hazy reddish amber with a red tinged bubbly head that dissipates quickly. Nose is tart cherries, pinot noir, woody, slight vanilla, French oak (you can actually smell the difference between French and American oak), black plums, dark fruit and some spice notes. Taste is cherries, grapes, green apples, oak, plums, red wine, booze and a bit of some kind of spice, maybe cinnamon or clove. Something with a kick. This was the first sour ale I ever tried (the 2010 vintage) and it blew my mind. Its just as good as I remember. I'm psyched about the two I have put away til after 8/30/13. Its a long wait but it'll be worth it. I can definitely taste the parts of this that were in that Collage I had last night. Deschutes rules.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

22oz, 2012 vintage
Best after 8/20/13
Deschutes tulip

A: Pours a murky brown amber color. Initially some head, disappears to nothing within seconds. Carbonation bubbles coming up sides. Some alcohol feet. Pretty looking wild ale.

S: Pulling that tart cherry. Woodiness. Oak tannins. Vanilla. Vinous grapes.

T: Tart cherry up front. Provides that sourness. Very vinous. Very oak tannin like. The oak brings some vanilla notes. Rounds the flavors. Very nice. Dry slight pucker tannic finish. Booze is there in the back, but hidden very well.

M: Medium bodied. But feels fuller because of slight lack of carbonation. Maybe some time in bottle with help that.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

2012 vintage. 11.5% ABV. Poured into a tulip.
appearance: opaque reddish orange. Moderate alcohol legs. Tons of lacing around the glass. thin off white head dissipated almost immediately.
smell: sour yeasty goodness, cherries, fruity esters, strawberries, white grape, red wine.
taste: cherries, raspberries, red wine like a fruity zinfandel without any tannic overtones, little bit of grapefruit and orange, bright acidity. Tons of berries. It's tart and sour but with a subtle counterbalance of sweetness. Alcohol comes through more as it warms up but it's never off putting and just helps to clean the palate. There is an oaky note at the end of the tongue.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied with not too much carbonation.
Overall: a fantastic sour filled with vinous and berry notes with some citric notes creeping in. Big and just a little oaky, this one will age with the best of them. Can't wait to see how it develops after a year or two. Buy several. Drink one and cellar the rest.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

just one of those classics for me. it looks a little thin, light brown color with a red hue to it. good carbonation is obvious, as a fizzy white head rises up. the nose is intense. lots of red wine vibes, although this isnt barrel aged in vino. also lots of sour in the aroma. brett and lacto at least, but this isnt acidic. there is some sweetness in the flavor from the malt, and that red fruit tone again. maybe something tart in fruit, like cranberries or something. more red wine tannins in the finish, and a puckery sour. the alcohol is well hidden, a superbly dirnkable bottle. medium body in the end, and bold carbonation just short of pop like. its expensive and rare, but it is just a beer that you need to seek out. its hard to describe because it stands alone. a sour yes, but its so much more than that. one of the more complex bottles of beer around.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a beautiful ruby color with mahogany highlights and a quickly fading khaki head despite an aggressive pour.
Nose is fantastic, sour cherries, yeasty funk, leather,oak and tannins. Very vinous, no doubt from the choice of barrels for the refermentation
Taste is similar, not overly puckering like a wild ale but a nice sour finish after a sweetness up front that follows with with vinegary cherries, oak and a slight medicanal flavor which is probably from the high abv for the style.
Medium to thick mouthfeel with tight playful carbonation and sourness that leaves the palate salivating for each next sip.
Awesome, awesome, awesome. I love this beer, a huge fan of wild ales and this is a wild ale that got dressed up and headed out to a formal affair. Deschutes caudled this beer and it shows. Can't wait to see how this develops with age. I have a 2010 yet to be cracked and will be laying a few of the 2012 down to try annually.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

2012 Vintage

A: Reddish brown color body with 1 finger head.

S: Very complex. Wine, yeast, oak, sweet-jam like aroma, sour, citrous.

T: While I really like the taste, I think this is a tad bit hot. Similar to the aroma, I get sourness (although not super sour or puckering), funk, yeast, wine and oak barrel, citrous, some fruits. I think aging will add significantly to this beer, although it is quite tasty as it is.

M: Quite thick for a sour beer. Dry finish.

O: I liked it quite a bit although not my favorite Flanders ale. I had several bottles of Collage this year and now I can see that Dissident is the most dominant smell and taste in that beer. I have another bottle to age. I will revisit after a year or so.

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%

22oz bottle picked up from the brewery. 2012 vintage. Consumed 10/5, reviewed from notes.

A: Fizzy lifting drink. Decently hard pour yields a quickly fading head. Dark cider colored copper.

N: Potent - don't even have to put my nose to the glass to smell. Very vinous with the red wine grapes. Plenty of oak and tannins. Pleasant funk from the vinegar/acetone. This smells much more like an Oud Bruin than the 2010. Lots of cherries and some leather.

T:Taste falls short of the nose, and when it's cold, it's really non-descript, unlike any other beer I've had. Cherry cola. Sourness level is about medium. As this warm, it gets better. Oak, cranberry, and blueberry. Sherry starts to shine, as does the French Oak.

M: On the heavier side for an oud bruin, but still in range. No alcohol burn.

O: I feel like the 2008 is a vintage not to be matched ever again. Hoping the yeast eats some of the sugars and gives this more depth. And a big warning about drinking this less than cool.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%