Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

poured into tulip glass.

2010 vintage.

Appearance: mahogony red bodied beer with a thin white head. Drops to a thin cap.

Smell: Vinegar, fruity, cherries, a wierd plastic note.

Taste: Cherrys, and white grapes. Mild vinegar and a mild tartness. Malty backbone that is eqaul to or stronger than the sour notes from this beer. Its got a plastic flavor it it as well.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with low carbonation.

Overall: It was decent, but I was a little bit dissapointed by this beer. I think I need to try a fresh bottle to give it a fair shot.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance:Light brown with a reddish hue. Small very light brown head that hung around.

Smell: Moderate funk, tart cherries, and some red wine notes.

Taste: Sour cherries, a bit of funk, and some oak from the barrels. Some leather notes and a bit of sweet cherries are also present. I also get a bit of a wine presence. The finish is rather dry with a slight tannic aftertaste

Mouth-feel: Fairly light bodied with a moderate level of carbonation results in a satisfying mouthful.

Overall: Good beer that I suspect will improve with some age. I have a feeling Deschute's "best after date" is really appropriate for this one.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours caramel with a slight amber hue and a small khaki head. Smells lacto sour, brown sugar, cherries and apples, a slight hint of some vanilla and the wine barrels. Some alcohol in the finish. Amazing flavor and quite complex. Some sour lacto, tart cherries, apple, a little funky, the barrels, and some leather. I expected more alcohol to be noticeable than there actually was which was a nice surprise. A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, a really nice beer even 11 months prior to its best after date, I can only imagine how good it will be then.

4.01/5  rDev -4.5%

Vintage 2012
Best after 20AUG13

Pours amber with a cherry hue, etched surface with a rim of light cream foam. The smell was evident from a couple feet upon pouring - really richly cherry this year. There are notes of lacto, breat and oak with plenty of the wine character coming through and lots of nice, tart cherries. The flavor is tart up front with a bit of heat and plenty of cherry flavor. This is really remarkable in that it is very, very fruit forward and most in the style that I've had are more oak balanced. I think I prefer this approach. The tartness is not quite sour per se, but is richly enhancing the overall tone of the beer. There is much, much less wood and grain perceived this year than 2010 when fresh. Medium on light syrup body with limited, soft and fine carb with a watering finish. Nice beer. I am really glad I got a good stash of this vintage.

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%

My buddy Jeff picked this one up for me while he was on a road trip out in Colorado, so muchas gracias to him. Review is from notes taken on 10/26/2012 and poured from the bottle (2010 vintage).

Appearance: Pour is a nice, ruddy caramel brown with a hint of ruby red to it; starts with a nice one finger, thick and lush head that is slightly off-white; head has good retention and it eventually fades down to a full, complete skim, albeit just a touch uneven; body is murky/cloudy, but shows strong enough carbonation bubbling up near the sides of the glass; plenty of lacing is left behind, but only where it swaths up to my mouth when I tip it to drink and none rests on the rest of the glass where it's been worked down.

Smell: Smell is so nice -- plenty of tart and acidic cherries, but there is also a certain sweetness laying in there with it, perhaps some caramel malt; definite funk, and the tartness is making my mouth water. Can't. Wait.

Taste: Tart cherries lead the way, and there is an acidic and strong bitterness (perhaps a bit lactic?) underneath it; just a touch of the sweetness mentioned in the nose as it's pretty much dominated by tart funkiness; alcohol is entirely masked.

Mouthfeel: Body is fairly light, a touch creamy; obvious pucker factor from the acidity and tartness, but it's not overwhelmingly so, so there's a nice balance to the body.

Overall: A great beer to be sure, but I'm not blown away by it like I was hoping to be. Perhaps is as good as it's supposed to be and I've only grown as an Advocate. I would love to have it again and again. I almost wish I would have drank it fresher to see if there would have been a difference, but I don't feel that it lost too much based upon reviews I've read.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

2012 Bottle opened on 10/25/2012

A: A very nice reddish brown color. Very little head that dissipated immediately.

S: Smells great. Huge wine smell with yeast funk and oak.

T: I was a little let down by the taste. I was hoping for something a little more sour. You can definitely taste the cherry, some nice funk and plenty of citrus flavors. Hopefully some age will intensify the sour notes.

M: Medium body. A little light on the carbonation. Nice dry finish.

O: Definitely a good beer and well worth the $13. Hopefully some age will bring out some more sour notes. It smells great, but the taste was not as puckering as I'd hoped it would be. Still an excellent beer!

2.82/5  rDev -32.9%

I have a lot of mixed emotions about this beer. Its smells wonderfully of cherry, and the nose on it is very complex. Whispers of alcohol permeate from the snifter I am using. The faint foamy head dissipates quickly. My first drink into this beer tells me this moment is going to be quite awkward. My palate has cherry, oak, sweet caramel and a flush of acidity almost like a deep red wine such as a shiraz. It seems to be lacking of carbonation and has almost medicinal qualities. While I am not found of this beer I can appreciate the creativity and artistry it takes to develop a product such as this.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Best After 8/20/13. Pours a hazy reddish amber with a red tinged bubbly head that dissipates quickly. Nose is tart cherries, pinot noir, woody, slight vanilla, French oak (you can actually smell the difference between French and American oak), black plums, dark fruit and some spice notes. Taste is cherries, grapes, green apples, oak, plums, red wine, booze and a bit of some kind of spice, maybe cinnamon or clove. Something with a kick. This was the first sour ale I ever tried (the 2010 vintage) and it blew my mind. Its just as good as I remember. I'm psyched about the two I have put away til after 8/30/13. Its a long wait but it'll be worth it. I can definitely taste the parts of this that were in that Collage I had last night. Deschutes rules.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

22oz, 2012 vintage
Best after 8/20/13
Deschutes tulip

A: Pours a murky brown amber color. Initially some head, disappears to nothing within seconds. Carbonation bubbles coming up sides. Some alcohol feet. Pretty looking wild ale.

S: Pulling that tart cherry. Woodiness. Oak tannins. Vanilla. Vinous grapes.

T: Tart cherry up front. Provides that sourness. Very vinous. Very oak tannin like. The oak brings some vanilla notes. Rounds the flavors. Very nice. Dry slight pucker tannic finish. Booze is there in the back, but hidden very well.

M: Medium bodied. But feels fuller because of slight lack of carbonation. Maybe some time in bottle with help that.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery