The Dissident | Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014

Added by MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Reviews: 491 | Ratings: 1,331
3.62/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had a hard time with this one and couldn't finish it. The higher ABV was just too much for my palate. I expected this to drink like the barrel aged Avery sours, but it missed the mark. Way too boozy for the style and it drowned out the barrel and tartness.

4.41/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer, that I was fortunate to find at a bottle shop. Past it's October 2015 best by date so here we go.

Look - Reddish brown color that is surprising clear. Head dissipated quickly, but lively carbonation.

Smell - Sweet Cherries/Dark Fruit and Oak character all the way in this one. Some funk and alcohol legs creep up there as well.

Taste - Sticky and sweet with this one with the dark fruit and cherries taking front stage here. But mid palate you get this nice malt balance. Alcohol is somewhat hidden with it being 10.7%.

Feel - Medium bodied and lively in the carb.

Overall - Fantastic representation of a sour with some added nuance with the cherries. The blending between the two beers works here and I am very glad I found this. I may even go back for another bottle to share at an upcoming party we are hosting. Cheers!

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A 2014 twenty two ounce bottle into a snifter. Best after 10/27/15.

Pours a mostly clear copper color, not much head, nor lacing. Looks better than I just made it sound. Smell is malt, dates, plums, figs, cherries, some yeast and caramel, some wine aroma. Taste is a little tart up front, a little sweet on the back end. Malt, cherries- much more than the nose, figs, plums, dates, raisins, caramel, red wine, some oak. Smooth, appropriate level of carbonation, taste lingers.

Great flavors and aroma, very enjoyable to drink. A little lighter bodied than others of the style, but that really is just a difference, not a negative. Well worth a purchase, if you can find the 2015.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle of the 2014 vintage. Served in a snifter glass 1/18/2016.

Pours a clear, dark ruby red body, one finger white head, minimal retention, no lacing. Smells of plastic Twizzlers. Actually that's about it. Not much else in terms of complexity. Minimal acidity, not much barrel. Flavour is cherry, plastic, licorice, dark fruit, mild acetic presence, not a whole lot else. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a bit sticky, low in carbonation. This one disappointed quite a bit, and well, definitely doesn't live up to the billing from past vintages.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Quite a delectable, cherry tart Flanders brown from Deschutes. I'll be concise -- abv is well-hidden, aroma and taste are both very wine-like (I'd take this over both Almanac Grand Crus any day). My guess is the flavors would be more pronounced once aged, but this is a superb brew, even when enjoyed fresh. Great Flanders Oud Bruin.

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 reserve. Pours a murky dark amber color with a fingers worth of off white head. You definitely get a wine barrel smell with tart cherry. The barrel flavor is prominent in the beer with a slight sourness and cherry flavor. There is a very good balance in the flavor. It's a very smooth beer with very little carbonation. This is a wonderful beer. I'm not a cherry fan but the flavor is balanced so well by the barrel aging.

2.58/5  rDev -38%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I thought this beer was completely awful. Worst flanders ale/sour beer that's ever touched my lips. Maybe I got an infected bottle or something but me and both my friends I was sharing it with ended up pouring about half our glasses down the drain.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Purchased from the public house. Perfectly balanced sour. Like someone here already said, nothing dominates the flavor, it all works together beautifully. The sour is toned down to meld with the tartness of the cherries. The oak comes through, hiding behind the cherry, very tasty. One of those rare beers that allows you to taste all the constituent parts within. I'd like to age one of these.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

Okay I will admit I am a complete hophead so I wasn't sure what to expect when my beer guy gave me this bottle of sour cherries. I sat on this for a few months as the bottle suggested(2014) label said best after 10/27/15 to enjoy, and today just cracked open and poured into a snifter and let warm for a few hours.

L= Pours a reddish copper and very thin apple cider look to it, small quarter finger of head quickly dissipates to a very clear reddish copper wine look.
S= smells of sour cherries and brandi, a hint of dank cinnamon and perhaps clove, and certainly some acidic alcohol
T= Sweetness up front, very much like wine and vinegar, not sure, perhaps just not used to the style. I think it is getting better as it is warming up a bit.
F= Its like wine, with a sweet/sour flavor to it, nothing special to me, again perhaps it is because I am not used to this style of beer.
O= I truly want to like this ale but I am not sure. Maybe I should have sat on it longer. I am such a fresh hop junkie it is a big diversion for me. It did grow on me as it warmed and I would definately enjoy trying it again in the future. Thanks Mark!!

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours slightly hazy red brown with a very frothy half finger of active foam that dissipates quickly.

Crisp acidity, mashed cherries, oak, and vinous.

Cherry character really stands out in the flavor, followed by a sour apple tart acidity, subtle vanilla and oaky tones, and a definite wine-like character.

Light-medium bodied, high carbonation, soft, crisp, slightly sticky, tart, and a dry finish.

Overall, I was enthusiastic to try this one after glancing over the other reviews. As a fan of this style, I've got to say that this could use a little less wine barrel notes as it has plenty going on as it is and muddies the overall flavor of the base beer. That being said, this was still delicious and worth a try.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at Brothers Craft Brewing during Resolute Day. The fruit and tart funk stand out in the nose, and follow in the taste. Perfect level of tartness goes with the cherries. This is very well done!

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle share, 2010 vintage. This one ages well, and I have high hopes for the 2014 bottle in my cellar. Smooth, and oily, the aging lends the character more Belgian ale notes and mutes the sourness, Dubbel and Belgian strong Ale come to mind. Pit fruit, mild sweetness with a bit of pucker.

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome! Got on tap at resolute release in plastic cup. Still excellent appearance for sour. Think look, tons on lacing, plenty of horse blanket, great balance. Overall a world class offering by deschutes and a must try if available. Lives up to hype.

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Based on observations as I think this is my first Flanders Oud Bruin.
This was poured into a tulip.
The appearance was a semi-dark red color with very little to none head. It looks like it just spots the top of the beer.
The smell takes tart cherries to blend into a light vinous character (guessing that's coming from the wine barrel). Light woodiness competes for center stage but gently backs off.
The taste was sour with the tart cherries adding some light citrus. Woodiness only comes out as the beer warms and softly shows a light presence in the aftertaste and finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with some carbonation hitting my tongue but also allowing the sour to hit in the harshness as well. Woodiness dries my tongue a bit, but not overbearing.
Overall, well, given that this is my first Flanders Oud Bruin that I know of, I'd say it's an interesting one, is it fair enough to say that I'd be willing to have it again just to see how it ages or even compared to others of its style?

3.95/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pour dark Amber/ light brown with a light tan head. Aromas of vinegar, sour toffee/caramel malt, hints of cherry and oak. Much more cherry flavor is present in the taste. Mild oak, tame vinegar which is nicely balanced and some light toffee and caramel malt

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle poured into snifter

A: Pours a red honey color, no head retention, no lacing, some carbonation, clear, looks a little thin.

A: Tart, cherries, picking up some leather, chardonnay barrels coming through, slight oak, lots of different aromas but they are very subdued, I was expecting big aromas, alcohol is well hidden.

T: Very nice, hint of tartness and cherries up front, leather, hint of sourness in the middle with a subtle citrus peel bitterness, balanced, complex, finishes dry. The oak becomes more noticeable as the beer warms.

M: Very thin, dry, not much carbonation, slight alcohol burn as the beer warms.

O: The Dissident is a balanced, complex sour beer, nothing jumps out or dominates the other beer's characteristics. My only complaint is that it is thin, glad I picked up a few more bottles to cellar and see how it ages.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

2014 vintage. Best after 10/27/15... I couldn't wait.

Tart and funky on the nose with a definite alcohol presence. The taste is a balanced mixture of cherry, caramel malt, oak, faint vinegar and a hint of booze.

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Opened my 2012 bomber as I was advised the beer is at it's best 3 years out. The scent permeated the room! It's like drinking a white wine beer as you really get the pinot presence up front. You get a good oak flavor, too. The finish is distinctly cherry. This is the first true sour I've ever enjoyed. Well worth the wait.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2014 version. Wow was my first reaction to this beer. Had the distinctive Belgian brown ale taste, but with a cherry twist to it. Slightly sour and ever so slightly sweet. Really a perfect blend between the brown ale and cherry characteristics though that sold me.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2010 Bottle, Tasted on 7/12/15

A — Pours a deep tawny hued brown color into the glass. Pretty much no head on it, but that's alright. Looks quite thick in the glass.

S — Smells of rich malts, huge sour cherry presence as well. Lots and lots of candi sugar, and a great oaky and wine musty character imparted by the barrels.

T — Rich, sweet, sour, bright, just a plethora of flavors and complexities. Major tart cherries balanced with an oaky and dry wine barrel character.

M — Medium bodied, long wonderful finish.

O — Fantastic overall here, just a great showcase of the style.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

2014, bottle. Have loved this beer in the past, excited to try the newest version

A: Murky brown with a reddish tinge. Little to no head. Unfiltered
S: Sour funk and wine tannins, alcohol. Not necessarily cherries or oak.
MF: Mild carbonation. Nice sour funk okays on the edges of my tongue. No where as hot as the nose smells.
T: Funky sour goodness. Wine and tannins predominate the flavor, followed mildly by cherry. Not necessarily getting any maltiness out of this brew. Really hides the abv well. Could drink this all the time.
O: Quite nice. I think the 2012 has been my favorite but this is a good take on this beer. Love pretty much all of Deschutes brews!

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a reddish amber with little to no head. Hazy body. Very malty aroma - cherries, toasted malt, worty, light on lactic acid. Very malty in the flavor - reminiscent of wort/Grape Nuts. Nice cherry flavors, barrel, and some vinegary acidity. Light alcohol. Mouthfeel is a bit slick and soft. I'd like a bit more carbonation. Pretty good overall, but I'd like less alcohol, lighter body, higher carb, and for it to be a bit less malty.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Deschutes Brewery 'The Dissident' @ 11.4% , served from a 650 ml bottle(2012 reserve) cellared for 2 years , purchased for $19
A-pour is a funky gold from the bottle to a dirty amber in the glass with a small beige head leaving a minimal spotty lacing along the snifter
S-smelly , (similar to a Wild Ale) just a lot more pungent , especially near the end of the bottle
T-not so much sweet & sour , exceptionally smooth , true sour beer
MF-lots of carbonation , big full body
Ov-ok/good beer , good sour
prost LampertLand

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2014 batch at the Beer Hive in Salt Lake City.

After I ordered this, I realized this was aged in wine barrels. I let out a groan; I have the tendency to think it will taste winey and vinegary. It sure did with this one. The barrels lend a strong winey taste to it - too much that the sourness is an afterthought. It did have a nice sourish flavor with a decent malt backbone and strong notes of cherries. But the vinegar and wine notes were overwhelming. I also found the beer to be a bit under-carbonated. My opinion: keep the wine barrels away from this. Try an oak barrel or maybe even a whisky barrel. I did enjoy this, but it wasn't La Folie.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have been looking for this beer for 8 years, finally found it... woo here goes.

Looks like light red with wispy head that leaves some bubbles and lacing. Legit sour ale look.

Smell is complex and rich. I get vinegar, brown sugar and spice, orange, lemon, caramel, and toast.

Taste is superb, phenomenal, just right as far as a good flanders goes. Rich complex sour notes up front with a hit of alc, some burnt toast, caramel, and light fruit. Zest is in there too with some citrus, but its mostly rich and caramely. Some cherry and wine in the background, but its a compliment.

Feel is just right, not too much carb.

Overall I give this a 4.75 cause its that good, whats there not to like about this beer, I cant find anything.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery