Fresh Hop Mirror Pond | Deschutes Brewery

Fresh Hop Mirror PondFresh Hop Mirror Pond

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Fall

Added by ccrida on 10-24-2008

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deschutes took Chicago by storm this past month, and I was lucky to go to numerous tasting sessions that had all their brews out. I feel that I was trying too many brews at once to give it a full review, so now I got a sixer and see how this pale ale is on my palate.

A- Bright, transparent, sort of a blood orange type of hue. Lots of head retention that is nice and frothy. Lots of lacing is left behind.

S- Such a wonderful tangerine smell, with copious amount of honey that make this smell so sweet. Lastly you smell a light malt smell that goes great with the honey. You can barely smell any hops here, as some pine barely makes it through.

T- Initial light bitter, piney hops, that turns right into a sweet malt flavor that dominates my palate. I love malty beers so I may be biased. Tastes of honey biscuit, tangerine, and light grapefruit just come together to make a very solid beer.

S- Light body and light carbonation makes this beer go down fast.

O- I know hops are the craze nowadays, but this is my go to APA. This beer goes back to the basics with light amounts of hops and a nice sweet taste that goes down great.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Bottle says best by 12/11/11, I drank on 1/5/11.
A: Moderate to gentle pour yields 1/2 finger of off-white head with good retention. Hazy orange-gold liquid is pretty. I would like tighter and more copious head.
S: Caramel, lemon-lime, maris otter malt? Slight apple from yeast esters.
T: Not too old, no off flavors here. Bright and toasty. Flavors of good whole wheat bread, some herbal hop. Nice subdued and perfectly balanced bitterness is in the ESB territory. Not true to style maybe, but I enjoy it.
M: Lightly bitter. Very well balanced. Full yet not heavy.
D: Highly drinkable. ideal for an every day beer. Full flavored, easy drinking. Interesting and not overwhelming.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%