Hop Henge | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

With an immense hop flavor and bitter finish, this monumental IPA is an enigma worth pondering (see what we did there?). Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, and Galaxy hops come together to create a hop sanctuary. Revere the almighty hop!

This is their new version of Hop Henge Imperial IPA, the hops have been modified as of 1/2009.

IBU: 97

Added by SurlyDuff on 01-21-2009

Ratings: 2,558 |  Reviews: 864

4.17/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip. Best by 10/02/18.

Appearance - Hazy amber body. Big offwhite head with thick lacing and long retention.

Smell - Mostly grassy and slightly floral but not pungent.

Taste - Strong alcohol and grass.

Mouthfeel - Deceptively smooth on the first pull, but increasingly astringent kick in the finish and aftertaste.

Overall -

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very nice beer! Very citrusy with a strong orange and lime flavor.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Great head and lacing atop a orangish gold color. Fragrant citrus smell. Nice rich feel and a bit of honey sweetness and pleasant bitterness. Will get again and hope I can find it on tap!

4.46/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

As you might intuit, New Catch-Up Beer Sunday (Week 696) is not exclusive to CANs (although I wish that it was). I am now shifting gears to continue what amounts to a short brewery horizontal dating back to Saturday.

From the bottle: "Family & Employee Owned since 1988"; "Bottle Conditioned for Quality [-] Live yeast added to the bottle allows this beer to age gracefully and stay fresher, longer. Keep bottles upright, and away from light & heat."; "Profile - With an immense hop flavor and bitter finish, this monumental IPA is an enigma worth pondering."

Dang! I wish that I had pondered it a few days ago during the Summer Solstice. Ah well, no time like the present to Pop! the cap and get things started. I performed a slow, gentle pour into the awaiting glass, followed by an in-glass swirl that raised two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with excellent retention, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was Golden-Amber, enticing a visit from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, all clamoring for a taste. Jeez-O, man! Nose came at me with a strong dose of pine, leading with a L hook as the grapefruit citrusiness followed with a R uppercut! Man, when did I agree to this? I dodged & weaved, but next, the dry, biscuit malt hit me inna breadbasket with a straight R. Ooof! Man, it's like this one is trying to put me down for the count. I'm no slouch, though, & so I counter with a flurry of Ls & Rs that backs this bad boy off & now it's just a matter of the bell. DING! Back in my corner, my trainer & my manager want me to give it up. The smelling salts can't penetrate whatever this did to my nose & I am seeing double. Bump that! I jump to my feet, bang my gloves together to signal readiness & here he comes again, full throttle, fusel heat, pine & grapefruit, unrelenting & now my strategy seems sorta cockeyed & cattywompus. No, that's just me, taking a brief horizontal respite onna comfy canvas! Stop the count. I stagger to my feet since I still have a half a glass to polish off & there's gas in this kid's tank. Slugger looks me dead-square inna peepers, smiles, pulls back his powerful R and just as he unloads, I surprise 'im with a L jab! Surprising since I drink L, although I'm a Righty. Blood everywhere! It may not have been kosher, hitting him with a glass, but I was horribly outclassed up until then. This time, he drops back & I fall for it. I'm about a step towards him when he steps into a straight R, bringing heat, pine, grapefruit, emerging mango and papaya & it's over! It piledrives into my unsuspecting tongue & I drop like the Dow Jones on Black Tuesday. I can barely stand as this beer's fist is upraised in utter victory. My tongue lolls outta my head like that was what was intended. The finish was dry, bitter & left me looking forward to a rematch! YMMV.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Deep cloudy amber, with a nice off-white head and wall of lace.

Aroma: Big hops. Fruity and piney. Wonderful.

Taste: Sweet tropical fruit. Very nice with a warming bitter finish. Quite a good IPA. Would never turn this one down.

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden with an off white that dissipates to a thin but persistent head. Decent legs and lacing.

S: Pine nose up front with some citrus rind. floral/earthy hops dominate with a background reminiscent of wet leaves. Lightly sweet malt background. Moderate dankness.

T: Nice balance of sweet malt and upfront Hops flavor. Pine and lemon peel/citrus dominate the palate. It gives way to a long lasting bitter finish. A wee bit minerally, but it does not detract. It hides it's ABV well, nice alcohol warming. Finishes towards the dry side.

F: Medium body, medium carbonation. A little slick on the palate.

O: A great representation of what I feel is a west coast style Double/imperial IPA. The beer is well balanced. The malt backbone gives way to a big, complex hop flavor and aroma. Just a well done beer all around.

3.32/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

5/12/18: 16 ounce draft pour into a pint glass at Finley Dunnes $7. Hazy blond pour, thin white lacing. Light citrus aroma. Pine hop bitter, not much balance with the citrus and fruit. Medium thin mouth feel, light carbonation, bitter finish. Overall OK offering.

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottle poured into a Mountain Rambler Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours slightly hazy golden orange amber with a frothy beige head that settles to a firm layer that hangs around and leaves some very nice lacing.

S: Piney, herbal, citrus, a little tropical fruit, toasty bready malt, and caramel sweetness.

T: Spicy pine, peppery herbal notes, citrus, orange, lemon, and grapefruit, some tropical fruit hiding in there, passion fruit, mango, peach, and lychee, toasty biscuity bready malt, and caramel sweetness.

M: On the fuller side of medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Classic west coast with a tropical twist. Tasty.

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: It pours orange and has a definitive cloudiness to it. The head is slightly off white and has good head retention.

Smell: There are strong aromas of floral and citrus. There are other interesting notes of bread and a wee bit of tropical elements.

Taste: There are strong citrus, floral, and stone fruit elements. The citrus elements almost tastes as if it was fresh squeeze. There are also grapefruit notes and bready notes in the finish.

Feel: It has a moderate body on the full size with a strong bitter finish that is not harsh, but pleasant.

Overall, a very intriguing combination of flavor elements with a top notch finish.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%