Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop Henge Experimental IPA | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This is their new version of Hop Henge Imperial IPA, the hops have been modified as of 1/2009.

Available: January to April
Alc. by Vol.: 8.5 - 9.0% range
IBUs: 95

Added by SurlyDuff on 01-21-2009

Ratings: 2,493 |  Reviews: 844

Without a doubt my favorite IPA ever. The smell is piney without masking all of the malty goodness that signifies balance to me. There is some grapefruit citrus, florals, and the pour is just silky looking. I could smell this one all night but I'd rather drink it. SO well balanced. If you haven't tried this one go out and get a bottle. I did, and then I got 3 more.

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Note: This is Batch 1.

Kicking off Superbowl Sunday in style w/this 22 ounce bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Great dense, 2 finger head on top of an amber body. The head veeery slowly reduces but never disappears. Visibly active carbonation in the glass. Lacing is sticky and plentiful.

The usual DIPA suspects of piney and grapefruit smells (and in great abundance), but much more complex. A kind of smoky/cannibis element somewhere in there, along with plentiful sweet caramel and floral aromas. This stuff smells incredible- I'm not doing it justice. I was enjoying the smell so much I sniffed and swirled for a good 2 minutes.

Very complex in the mouth. Big citrusy (orange and tangerine, not just grapefruit) and, to a lesser degree, pine/cedar hop flavors smack you right off the bat, but there's a lot going on here. Some caramel and honey try to keep the bitterness somewhat in check, but are slapped aside with disdain. Some earthy flavors, and a tiny bit of that smoky element from the aroma seems to carry over into the mouth. Taste is awesome. Incredible hoppiness- resiny, sticky, gritty, oily, scratchy, hot damn. Again, I'm not doing this beer justice.

Medium body and carbonation. A bit of sweetness and a helluva lot of lingering bitterness in the finish. Leaves the throat practically burning and begging for another sip. Drinkability/enjoyability is dangerously high at this ABV.

Overall impression: Great stuff from Deschutes here. Incredible DIPA.

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

Drank back in March served at Fridge Temp.

A- Golden Copper, "sunset-like". Off white, cream-like,fluffy head. Really great lacing and head retention.

S- TONS of sweet grapefruit with some floral and grassy hops as well. Citrus defintely takes the stage though. Theres also some pale and caramel nicely balanced into the mix.

T- Out of this world. Sweet grapfruit and bitter, bitter hops. Theres some sweet caramel malts perfectly balanced into the mix that take nothing away from the hop bitterness. There's a slight alcohol burn but this is a big beer and at 9% its expected.

M- Medium to high carbonation with a light mouthfeel. Very crisp and drinkable. Alochol burns a bit.

O- Really great beer, very drinkable and really great hop bill chosen for this beer. Right now it is the best DIPA I've had to date. Gonna have to trade for a lot more next year.

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Wow. This beer was on tap at Sea Salt Eatery and it went along fantastic with my calamari tacos and tilapia tacos. The pour is almost a copper color and the hops aromas hit hard. I couldn't stop smelling this beer, let alone drinking it. The aroma is strong and citrusy and very hoppy. The taste is a bit fruity, very hoppy, and surprisingly does not kill your taste buds. I really, really loved this beer. The ABV creeps on this one. I was well aware of the 8.75% in this one, but it still crept up on me. Deschutes really did well on this one. One of the best IPA's I have tried and possibly the best double I've had. Great beer.

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

L: 10.5oz snifter, on the border between citrusy yellow and malty brown
S: a lot of citrus and hops
T: perfect balance of fruity, citrusy, malty, bitter
F: just smooth, and full-bodied, this one you'll enjoy swishing around in your mouth trying to get all the flavor out
O: This IPA is better than Heady Topper.

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Was so excited when I put this on tap. I was able to score a pint near my sister's house in bend during my last visit and fell in love with this brew. Nice dark rich look with heavier fruit notes than a normal dipa. All the guys at the bar love this beer but the 8.75% sneaks up on you if you're not careful. Overall, I would keep this on tap year round if I could.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Creamy and bountiful of head, and sunny rust-orange in color. Only a very slight haze, and not a ton of lace stick on the glass.

Tremendous nose on this, having a healthy dose of pine and grapefruit, with generous caramel/toffee maltiness that indicates some depth.

Quintessential double IPA flavor. At least, the way I like it best: big hops exhibiting both citric and resin characteristics, with a lot of malt apparently chucked into the mix, as there's a candy-like but not-too-sweet caramel maltiness lending a hand and providing balance. A caress of citrus rind in the finish, but even that is balanced with some gooey maltiness. Alcohol is hardly even detected, I don't get a hot or headache-y vibe with this double IPA. Everything here is in totally perfect and equal measure. I would score it even higher if I could.

Mouth is creamy and soft, with small bubbles...very much like a bottle-conditioned ale, although I can't say if this is bottle-conditioned or not. All I know is I totally love its velvety smooth texture.

Deschutes has been one of my favorite breweries ever since my lips first touched their beer, and I was anxious/curious to try a double IPA by them. This one met my expectations, and maybe even surpassed them. Not a tongue ripper, but a beer that exalts hops in a most reverential way. Fu*k off, Amstel Light...THIS is "one dam(n) good beer."

So close to perfect it's stupid.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

Was in Portland for work and stopped by Deschutes for a round. I had this beer originally on tap poured into a snifter and had to have more so I bought three of their growlers that night and had them filled. One with hop henge one with inversion and one with black butte. I kept them in my fridge at the hotel and sent them back next day air the next morning. When I got home the next day they were waiting on me on my back porch so I called a few friends over for a tasting.

A Beautiful deep rich copper color with a nice full 1 finger head. nice lacing.
S Sweet citrus with nice pine accents
T Malty up front followed by well balanced hoppiness. Very floral (which my wife loved)with pineapple and grapefruit.
M Smooth dry and not very bitter for a double IPA. Nice carbonation but not overcarbonated very good balance
D Probably one of the most drinkable 2xIPAs I've had. four of us finished a growler before we went to dinner and would have probably had another with dinner if I had sent more back. Although I liked the other two Deschutes offerings that I shipped back I wish i would have sent more of this home.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm a bit prejudice over this IPA not only because I'm a sucker for Imperials, but because this particular IPA has and incredible not too sweet floral hop flavor that finishes a bit bitter not like some IPA's giving you reason to have more and more.

It's a must to pour between a half and a one inch head to give you that creamy aroma as well as the taste in you mouth on that first mouthful. Don't be bashful when pouring into a tulip or snifter glass to get that head built up.

The appearance is golden and and as you drink their is a layer of foam and bubbles left around your glass if clean.

There is only one other Imperial that I can personally compare to this beer and that would be the Firestone Walker Double Jack and it actually finishes in your mouth giving you that feeling of wanting more right away. So why wait.

4.81/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting IPA with a kick

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

From a bottle, into a large mug in the central texas woods.

A - deep amber, darker than some IPA's. decent off-white head that dissipated relatively quickly.

S - MMMmmm

T - delicious, very hoppy, not to bitter, excellent hop aftertaste.

M - nice carbonation and retention, a little tingly but overall smooth, very well balanced.

D - Our thoughts: Somewhere a beer deity thought up the perfect IPA, and it was Hop Henge, the people saw it was good and there was much rejoicing.

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a bottle into my always faithful Duvel tulip. I had a few pints of this in Vegas at the Freakin Frog and remember it being delicious.

A - A brown center with a orange-red glow on the sides with a nice sized just off white head

S - Orange citrusy hop flavors are the first thing I notice with hints of some more piney hops in the background. A nice backbone of malt is in there somewhere that provides a caramel-like sweet smell.

T - This is delicious. Citrus hops dominate this similar to the nose but the malts provide plenty of support to keep it from nuking my palate with hops. A bit of bitterness lies in their but not a ruinous amount. While I love bitter beer it is really nice to get a full hop flavored beer that isn't super bitter.

M - Medium to heavy body with a slightly syrupy quality. Plenty of carbonation present without going overboard.

D - This is an exceptional DIPA. The balance makes this one easy to drink. Before I realized it half my glass was gone! I will jump on any chance to have this again in the future. This is definitely near the top if not at the top of my favorite DIPA's. The things I would do to be able to get Deschutes in SC!

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

A: Golden, and very honey in color. Cream colored, thick, foamy head. Murkyish.

S: Hops and honey. Pine and citrusy hops. Vanilla and caramel. Grass.

T: Pine and citrus hops. Vanilla and honey. Delicious!!! Caramel.

M: Thick, creamy and smooth. Fantastic!!!

O: Wow this is a great IIPA. Another A+ by Deschutes.

4.76/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hop Henge Experimental IPA from Deschutes Brewery