Hop Henge Experimental IPA | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This is their new version of Hop Henge Imperial IPA, the hops have been modified as of 1/2009.

Available: January to April
Alc. by Vol.: 8.5 - 9.0% range
IBUs: 95

Added by SurlyDuff on 01-21-2009

4.1

Ratings: 2,487 |  Reviews: 841

4.49/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this bomber of Hop Henge into a snifter at cellar temperature. My bottle says 10.9% ABV, but I could swear the last one I had said 10.4%. This is so-called "experimental IPA" is indeed variable.

A pour of this beer creates a one-finger, slightly off-white head which sits atop a surprisingly clear, dark golden orange liquid. The head dissipates to a leasing sheet of soft-looking froth in a couple minutes or so.

It smells like I just peeled an orange! In no other IPA or DIPA have I smelled such a strong orange scent. I also detect a sweet honey aroma and fresh hops. Pretty darn nice.

The orange is in the taste as well, along with something that reminds me of sweet, bready biscuits with honey. Piney hop bitterness comes out in the aftertaste. I can definitely tell that this one has a high ABV, but I think the other great things going on here suffieciently distract me from any unwelcome booziness.

It's got potent carbonation which goes well with the tangy orange flavor. Kinda like orange soda in a way! And, once again reminding me of honey, there is a bit of stickiness.

An awesome beer for sure. And appropriately named too, as I would say it's as unique a DIPA as Stonehenge is a landmark.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber from the Beer Store, Southampton, PA

Heavily hazed orange body, topped by a fist worth of almost-snow-white micro-bubbles. Terrific lacing.

Big orange aroma, backed by a chorus of other citrus fruits. Highly inviting.

Huge sweet slather upfront. Exploding oranges, apricots, and other citric grenades. Big bitter bite. Hidden alcohol. Nice lingering finish with the fruit returning.

Medium plus mouthfeel is smooth.

Everything you can ask for in an IIPA.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%