Hop Henge Experimental IPA | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This is their new version of Hop Henge Imperial IPA, the hops have been modified as of 1/2009.

Available: January to April

4.75/5  rDev +15%

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.54/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter which reveal a dark golden brew, with about a cm of head. As the head settled it left a nice lacing on the glass.

S - Great floral and citrus aroma

T - A little sweetness at first then grapefruit/citrus and then hops really hit you.

M - Medium Carbonation and very smooth at first but finishes with some hop bitterness, which I like

O - This is a great DIPA that I would glady buy again, especially given it's cheaper bomber price, 5.50, as compared to other DIPAs in bomber only format.

3.96/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured out of a 22 oz bomber with a "Best By" date of 04-03-2013. Really cutting it close with this one, for sure. Makes me wonder how it might've been different fresher.

Appearance - Pour renders a three-quarters finger head that dissipates into a thin line of foam sitting on top of a light orange-tangerine hued body. Head takes about 30-45 seconds to shrink, but leaves a silky lacing where the foam came to rest immediately after pouring. Slightly hazy throughout.

Smell - Delicate, but present. The nose is fruity citrus, but dry. Aromas of grapefruit with some subtle complexity of floral undertones. The alcohol comes out in the smell more as the beer warms. I get the sense that the hop aroma would have been more in the forefront if this wasn't so close to it's "best by" date.

Taste - Begins with some hesitation, but then the hops hit you in the mouth. Grapefruit again is present, with a little more bitter edge, almost like the rind of the fruit rather than the flesh. Finish is somewhat boozy and becomes almost too much as the temperature increases.

Mouthfeel - Resinous, lingering and a tad coppery.

Overall a solid and interesting "experimental" IPA that borders on barleywine territory to me, but with less of the earthiness. Not surprising, given the 10.5% abv on this bad boy. Unfortunately I never had it before they changed the recipe, but this one is worth buying again, especially to enjoy with food. This bottle paired well with my spicy BBQ chicken wings.

4.48/5  rDev +8.5%

Hop Henge. The "Experimental" IPA. I don't know what is so experimental about it...It doesn't really *taste*out of the ordinary. A medium hoppy DIPA, light on bittering hops. It's got a nice mellow hop profile, nothing like the usual super floralness of something like Pliny the Elder, or the super bitterness of anything made by Green Flash. High ABV at 10.6%...I should have written this review after a few sips instead of 20 oz. deep into the bomber. Nice color and lacing on this with a lingering head. Some citrus smelling hops and some yeast in the smell. Well rounded with the mouthfeel, doesn't go to one extreme or the other. Well balanced dry/sweet character. Really tasty if not basic/classic example of the style. If one were to come across a DIPA kit in a brewing shop, this is the beer that kit would produce. Not to say it isn't great. I like it. My favorite Deschutes brew thus far.

4.41/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber into pint glass shaped like a can. Some foam and good lacing on orangish-amber, slightly cloudy. Citrus and pineapple node. Comes together rather well on the palate. Malt sweetness mixes well with the hop profile brining flavors of orange and light caramel with a bitter finish. Heavy-medium body and medium carbonation.

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had to try this beer after the owner of the liquor store I work at sent back a case because it doesn't sell well. This was ludicrous to me because Deschutes kills it in the store and I cannot recall a beer of theirs I did not like. Also this is my first review so bear with me.

Bomber bottle poured vigorously in a Darness Tulip

A- A bright orange amber color with a one finger head that that dissipates quickly. I think it's a rather inviting color yet it is still a slightly murky which is even more inviting to me.

S- A very sweet nose on this ale yet the malt is still very much so present. Not overpowering pine but also still there.

T- The malty sweetness definitely distracts from the big 10.6% abv published on the label yet the hops dry it out perfectly so as I continue to want more. Tropical fruit and hops dominate the palate.

M- This is a medium- full bodied IPA yet dry enough so it doesn't finish syrupy which is quite nice.

O- This ale really grew on me as I enjoyed the first pour as it seemed to grow in the glass as the flavors opened with a rise in its temperature. I can't believe it has taken me this long to taste this ale and feel a bit foolish I haven't been selling this like crazy. At $4.99 for a bomber, I will most definitely be buying this again. Cheers!

Hop Henge Experimental IPA from Deschutes Brewery