Hop Henge | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

With an immense hop flavor and bitter finish, this monumental IPA is an enigma worth pondering (see what we did there?). Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, and Galaxy hops come together to create a hop sanctuary. Revere the almighty hop!

This is their new version of Hop Henge Imperial IPA, the hops have been modified as of 1/2009.

IBU: 97

Added by SurlyDuff on 01-21-2009

Ratings: 2,543 |  Reviews: 859

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Best by date: 04/25/2012. ABV is 8.5%. Purchased at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California, a few days ago. Expectations are high; I've never had a bad beer from Deschutes, though IPAs tend to be brewed with little regard for balance - especially by American breweries. Served refrigerator cold and not paired with food.

A: Pours a five finger head of great smooth cream, good thickness, and great retention - especially for the high ABV. Colour is a clear gold. Carbonation appears sufficient but not overdone. No yeast particles are visible. The head is impressive overall and the colour is strong if typical.

Sm: Fresh hops are dominant, with the clean floral quality presiding over the bitterness. A pleasant inviting aroma. Moderate in strength. One of the most intricate hoppy aromas I've experienced in a long time. They didn't just dump amarillo in and call it a day.

T: The hops are balanced and incredibly deep. The layering is impressive here, with the hop bitterness not at all present, covered by the pleasant floral notes and a sort of nectary honey type tone. No alcohol comes through. A clean pleasant fresh flavour that I quite like. Unfortunately, it's rather simply built overall - which bothers me. It feels like the perfect foundation on which to build a great beer - but it's just the base. As a so called "experiment", it's a success. Now go ahead and brew using this as your start!

Mf: Smooth and wet. Never too sharp or overcarbonated. Suits the flavours quite well. Neither too thick nor too thin. It could use a bit more cream, but I'm nitpicking as some is present on the open. A bit too smooth and silky, sliding down quickly and limiting the flavour exposure.

Dr/Ov: A fantastic start to a beer, but unfinished. Stack and layer more complex notes on top of this and you might have an "A" beer on your hands. This is too simple to be great, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. Even with that unfinished feel, it's still a better IPA than most that I try. Extremely drinkable for the style. Hides its ABV extremely well.

Here's a brewery that understands balance in an IPA. IPAs are not a hop quantity competition, nor are they an opportunity to show how manly you are by having a beer with a higher IBU than any other. Fortunately for us, Deschutes understands that. Give this one a try. I look forward to trying more beers from the brewery.

Would pair very well with spicy food. Don't age this one.

B-

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

A goblet of beer arrived, from the tap, demonstrating an orange amber color with a small amount of foam. A have hop aroma with citrus rind and pine. The hop assault continues on the palate with more citrus and pine. A little raw, a little oily, a fine beer, but not the best I have had of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Pours a hazy amber color. 1/2 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong citrus hops, floral hops, strong sweet malt, slight alcohol, and piney hops. Fits the style of an American Double/Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is quite the hop bitterness. Tastes of citrus hops, floral hops, slight sweet malt, hint of alcohol, piney hops, and slight citrus (kiwi?). Overall, good appearance, aroma, and body.

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

22 oz (best by 4/25/12) poured into Sam Adams perfect pint.

A- Clear light copper with nice white 2 finger head. Decent lacing.

S- Big apricot. Reminds me of applets and cotlets. Great smelling beer.

T- Out of this world. Delicious big fruit hops. Big hops up front sweet malt in the middle and ends bitter. Great balance steering more towards hop heavy. Perfect!

M- Perfect carbonation developing a nice creamy easy drinking DIPA.

O- Big fan of this beer. I've had it on tap too. Very good in both servings. My fsvorite IPA from Deschutes. Well done.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

A - Clear copper/amber. The head is off-white and lasting. Excellent retention. It also leaves tons of sticky lacing.

S - Lots of tropical fruit in the nose. Sweet Pineapple, orange, mango. Also getting a fair amount of floral notes. Smells delicious.

T - Loads of sweet tropical fruit. Taste exactly how it smells. Pineapple, oranges, lemon. The finish is nice a bitter. Alcohol is mildly present given the 8-9 abv.

M - Mouth feel is smooth and somewhat creamy. Carbonation is done just right.

O - Damn this beer is delicious. Deschutes never fails to impress me. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured this one into a standard pint glass, and the beer produces a formidable two finger thick crown of light tan foam. The body is copper in color and cleanly filtered with no haze.

The aroma is hop dominant, with qualities of grapefruit, spruce, and lemon grass.

The taste seems to be a bit more balanced than other DIPAs I've had lately. Upfront is the taste of sweet toffee, but then the hops come in to kick the door in with grapefruit and bitter lemon.

Feels mildly carbonated, oily slick, dry to the palate in the end with only a mild amount of alcohol warmth.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Bought a bomber at HEB in Round Rock for just over 6 bucks. First time I've tried it...first time I've seen it there as well.

Pours a light orange in my pint glass...a pretty off-white head leaving a good amount of sticky lace.

Weird...upon first pour, scent was barely there, but after sitting awhile, strong mango, tangerine, and caramel malt begins to escape from my glass.

A big citrusy, hop kick on first sip. Tangerine...maybe even some lemon, lead off...followed by an even dose of sweet malt. A bit surprised the taste did not follow the nose, but not disappointed. The citrus zing is very refreshing. I really like the carbonation and moutheel in this one. Hard to stop sipping.

This is a very good DIPA...maybe Deschutes will release this bad boy in a 4 pack some day.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

I first had this last year, but I didn't review it. I think it's time that I do this with this year's batch. I will be drinking this with some teriyaki chicken wings that I just cooked up, but I will try this beer out before I start eating.

Color is a real nice orange with a light amount of bubbles coming up to form a thin film of head.

Good citrus and floral smell. I get a bit of sweetness as well. I know this beer is quite strong but I don't get any alcohol smell at all.

Orange zest and floral notes on the front of the pallet followed by a pleasant bitterness on the back. I remember when I tried this beer last year all I could think of was the bitterness, but now I like it quite a bit.

A fairly medium bodied beer with a bit of stickiness that clings to your mouth for a bit after.

This is good! I think I'm going to have to get at least another bottle to enjoy before we move on to the next bond street beer. I almost wish they would put this in a 6-pack instead of Hop Trip.

Hop Henge from Deschutes Brewery