Red Chair NWPA | Deschutes Brewery

Red Chair NWPARed Chair NWPA

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Available: January to May

10%
4.3

Ratings: 2,593 |  Reviews: 607

1.24/5  rDev -69.8%

Gross, I trusted the rating but wow it was totally off, for me at least. Tasted like cleaner! Tried it on tap.

1.6/5  rDev -61%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

1.76/5  rDev -57.1%

Tastes like Listerine. I probably wouldn't get it again

1.95/5  rDev -52.4%

At some points too grassy and bitter, but leaves you feeling like you have drank to much rootbeer, overly sweet. Earthly after taste.

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

2.36/5  rDev -42.4%

I remember really liking this beer. A lot. What happened? Looks great in the glass. Aroma disappoints. Butter and citrus zest. I dig the citrus, not the butter. Flavour is again buttery. Very full, viscous mouthfeel. Diacetyl run amok. Bummer. I really liked this beer in the past, but the flabby butter character is a big let down. Oh well.

2.77/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -31.7%

I picked some of this up on the advice of a friend, and things started off ok. It looks great, nice coppery color, fluffy white head. It smells pretty good, too. Floral, herbaceous hops, notes of pine, fresh rolls, and caramel.

The taste is where it started to go wrong for me. It's too sweet, and the strong herbal character of the hops don't really balance it, but make it taste like someone dropped a crazy sweet herbal cough drop in my beer. It gets cloy8ing very fast. I one Miller Lite cold, and it helped, reducing my perception of it's sweetness, but it's not really enjoying the beer to drink it that cold.

I normally find Deschutes beers to be well made, but this one really was hard to appreciate, and was really only drinkable straight from the bottle. I won't be buying it again, and I'll keep the last few in the fridge for guests who really aren't into what I usually have on hand.

2.82/5  rDev -31.2%

2.83/5  rDev -31%

12 oz. bottle, with a best by date of 04/18/2013. Uncapped and poured to a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a somewhat murky burnt orange color with virtually no head to speak of, just a soft white foam on the surface. Lots of bubbles rushing to the surface. Nice ring of lacing left on the glass.

S - Very fruity type of hop aroma is what initially comes to mind. Almost reminds me of an artificial strawberry / peach soda type smell. Slightly piney and grassy, but faint. Bready malts really only become apparent to me as the beer begins to warm.

T - Interesting blend of malts up front, with underlying fruity hoppiness. Nicely bodied, but poorly balanced in my opinion. Far too bready and fruity. Apricot and peach flavors present. I commend it on it's tame taste as opposed to those APA's that are basically just hop bombs, but I would have enjoyed some more bitterness here for sure. Sweet in the finish.

M - Feel is dry and slightly resinous and viscous, invoking another sip.

Overall, this is nothing to write home about. It is by no means a bad beer, I would just prefer something with more of a punchline to it in the end. This beer is definitely falling short somewhere, and in desperate need of a kick. Nice light body, nice carbonation, and nice 6.20% abv, but that's about all this beer has going for it. Not something I would try again, but this was my first beer by Deschutes Brewing, so I'd be interested in trying one of their other beers.

Deschutes Red Chair NWPA ---3/5.

Red Chair NWPA from Deschutes Brewery