Red Chair NWPA | Deschutes Brewery

Red Chair NWPARed Chair NWPA

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Available: January to May
Alc. by Vol.: 6.2%
IBUs: 60

192 calories per 12 oz serving

Added by Bitterbill on 01-22-2010

Reviews: 604 | Ratings: 2,572
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via trade with RWNEWHOUSE
Best by date of 5/11/12 my. My bad...missed that date on bottle

Appearance: This beer poured a real nice looking hazy orange color with an absolute huge white fluffy head. The head was a good four finger size and left a ton and I mean a TON of lacing behind. The head settles down to a light fluff floating on top of my beer. I love the color of this beer. It's very enticing to say the least.

Smell: Right off the bat orange peel smacks me in the face. It's like a sweet tangerine mixed with pineapple and grapefruit. This is followed by a piney and floral hop presence but I must mention that the hop nots are light on the nose. Very nice nose

Taste: Wow what a well balanced beer here. There is the slight hop bite mixed with orange and mango fruitiness. There is a breadiness and toasted character found in it also. I am also finding a caramel taste in it that seems to add a background sweetness that is super enjoyable!

Mouthfeel: I find this beer to be super creamy in the mouth. It almost feels as though I squirted whipped cream in my mouth and have that creamy feeling left behind. The carbonation is moderate at best and I believe this adds to the creamy feeling of this beer.

Overall: I true pleasure to drink this one. I mean I could sit back and put away quite a few of these. Not overly hoppy and not overly sweet or fruity either. Just an absolute perfect balance to be able to enjoy any time. I know this one was past it's prime according to the best by date but it's excellent IMO even three months past said date.

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Deep gold to amber in color and relatively clear. Moderately large off-white head with moderate retention and some lacing.

Aroma-Pleasant bouquet of citrus, grapefruit, and piney pacific northwest hops. Some bready and caramel malt apparent as well.

Flavor-Some bready and caramel malt. The hop flavors on this are excellent-perfumy, grapefruit, piney, citrus, and a bit floral. Hop bitterness is moderately low. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, medium to medium low carbonation. Relatively smooth, no astringency. Feels like it could use a bit more carbonation though.

This is a great pale ale, with some very nice west coast hop flavors. Personally I'd like a little more malt in the backbone, but it's quite good. Awesome flavor, but not so huge as to overwhelm the palate-I could easily drink several of these.

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

A - Beautifully clear amber/copper color with a one finger fluffy ivory colored head with good retention. Lacing is very spotty.

S - Huge bouquet of citrus and orange with a strong malt backbone. Pine is very subtle in the background.

T - Very tasty. I have loved this beer since i first tried it. This bottle is a bit old, brewed in April, and i feel the hops have lost their potency, but i still really enjoy this beer. It was better fresh, but aged fairly well. Orange and citrus with a nice pine bite. I find the malts more prevalent now than i did when i drank the first five bottles of my six pack.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D - This review comes a bit late, as its almost 5 months old, but i cant help but love this beer. I hope its brewed again. A winner in my book. Very drinkable. So drinkable that i didnt want to drink the last one.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bottle, BB 5/3/16. Threshold Beer Glass.

A: Pours a clear dark copper with 1 finger tan head. Excellent retention. Some visible carbonation rising up, not much. Outstanding lacing.

S: Smells of a floral hoppiness and ale yeast esters that remind me of some of the pale ales that I have really loved recently. Strong malt backbone. I think I am going to like this.

T: Fairly sweet and tangy arrival, turns to a rich, malty middle with lots of layered malt, ester and subtle hop complexity. Quite malty, mixed-fruity, and a touch sweet, actually. Think canned fruit cocktail - in a good way. Hop bitterness is fair, and lingers pleasantly.

M: heavier side of medium, bordering on full-bodied. Ample carbonation keeps it from feeling overweight. Somewhat slick, and has the mouth-filling character of ales - which I love - but does not quite clean up as much on the end as I might like.

O: A really solid and malty pale ale. Too light to be an amber, to heavy to be a pale ale. I love beers of this style, and I wish there were more of them (Boston Ale, Censored, Bell's Amber). If you are coming into this expecting a classic American pale ale, expect to be a little disappointed. But if you are looking for a slightly sweet and fuller-bodied hoppy pale, this is perfect for winter. Definitely six-pack worthy. This is comfort beer. Strikes me as similar to but sweeter and less citrusy than Dale's pale ale.

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a medium amber/red brown with minor lacing and low head. Not any visible carbonation.

S- more sweet than hoppy. Orange, floral, and toast

T- Not as malty as it looks but much more sweet malts than hops. I wouldn't personally see this as an APA but good in its own way. Bread, banana, grapefruit, some pineapple and bitterness.

M- Medium mouthfeel and nothing of note

O- a lot of pale ales fight between hoppy and malts and this one is clearly leaning toward malt. A unique sweetness with some bitterness for a PA and worth a taster or glass. Not sure if I would ever buy more than that for this one.

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

Needed a steady drinker. Thought I'd give this a bid. Couldn't remember if I'd had it before.

Appearance- A nice, clear, very rich copper color. Darker than a lot of "pale" ales. An inch of creamy tan head. It dissipates quickly and doesn't lace terribly well. It's nice.

Smell- Definitely some grapefruit. However, there is a rich crystal-like malt. That burnt sugar smell you get sometimes.

Taste- Follows the nose. There is a lot of rich crystal. The burnt sugar is pronounced. There is a slight soapiness. The hops fall a little flat for me. The bitter, burnt aftertaste lingers. Cedar? Sure. There is a woodiness here. Also, some bitter orange peel.

Mouthfeel- Nice and rich. Good depth.

Drinkability- Goes down well. That bitter/burnt finish is off-putting.

Huh, if I did have this before it makes sense why I forgot it. Not a bed beer by any measure, but certainly nothing special.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours almost clear golden amber orange. The medium sized light tan head left plenty of lacing.

Smell is mango and pine. Big and nice. More subtlety is need though, but I still liked it.

Taste is almost perfect mellow. Citrus upfront, a hint of sweet in the middle, and lightly bitter on the finish.

Test is light and smooth, as it should be, but it has more body and punch than some IPAs I have had. Was looking for a little easier drinking.

A great beer, as mentioned, it's as bold or more so than some IPAs, and while it has great flavor and feel, I still wanted it a little lighter.

DOA

A - Pours gold to amber in color into my pint glass with a solid two fingers of tight head, good retention and a touch of lacing.

S - Grainy malts, citrus and grassy hops, grapefruit, orange, caramel sweetness, maybe it's just the grassy hops, but there is a little funk to it.

T - Grainy malts, grassy and citrus hops, grapefruit bite, a bit of toast and biscuit, and almost a clove like spice on the finish. Very different/interesting.

M - Smooth and creamy, nice medium body and well balanced.

D - This certainly isn't my new favorite APA, but it's kind of different and easy to drink. Might be an interesting one to try with some different food or cheese pairings.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Clear golden to slight amber color. Nice off white tight full head.

Light sweet citrus fruit aroma apricot, orange, and resiny pine.

Tropical fruit flavor. Mango, tangerine, and a nice spicy character. Maybe a bit peppery. Some the caramel toasty sweet malt to give it nice rounded flavor profile.

Good creamy smooth mouthfeel. Little bitter bite nice mellow malt flavor. Nothing to complain about here. Well rounded delicious brew. Comes off as your standard pale ale with a fruity hop kick, but not bitter enough to be an IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into my Deschutes pint glass.

A- A clear amber with a slight red hue. Fantastic lacing down the glass.

S- Sweet citrus mixed with a nice toasted biscuity malt base. Some fruity ale esters and a touch of pine.

T- Follows the nose. A pop of orange melds into the malt base which tastes toastier the further into the sip you get. Some fruity notes, slightly tropical, and a touch of pine of a nicely bitter (but not over the top) and dry finish.

M- higher side of medium carbonation, likely from the bottle conditioning, smoooooth for days.

O- This stuff is fantastic. Had a 6er of it last year, and sought out a case this year.

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Pours a transparent copper color with a 2 finger white head. Head has dang good retention and leaves some nice lacing. Smell contains both hops and malts. Taste is smooth for an APA, starts with the hops in the front of the tongue then moves to the malts in the middle. Deschutes tried to emphasize the malts in this one, it's a really good argument for a great APA that doesn't have a jr IPA. The balance leans a little more to the malty side, but it still seems "right" the finish contains some bitterness from the malt and hops but the after taste seems clean. Mouthfeel is perfect for an APA with this flavor profile, just a hair heavier than a hoppy APA, but it still has good carbonation. Drinkability is great, this is something I would share with my friends who have just recently gotten their foot in the door of craft beer. Bravely done Deschutes!

3.94/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance - Pours just over a fonger of off-white eggshell foam, body is a bright golden orange color, lots of bubbles rising within the body. Great striped lacing after each quaff.

Smell - Sweet citrus, slight tropical, plums, fruitcake.

Taste - Much like the nose, sweet malts, light citrus of orange and ruby red grapefruit, I also get bits of pineapple and plum, there is also a slight flavor of breadcrusts, and finishes with semisweet citrus pith, and maybe a touch of peach pit. No alcohol whatsoever.

Mouthfeel - Nearly medium as the flavors are full but not sharp or overpowering. Carb is nearly medium and silky smooth, it foams just a bit as it goes over the tongue, and has a few nice edges at the sides of the tongue, just cleansing the sweeter flavors and allows it to finish slightly bitter and dry.

Overall - Really a nice and flavorful beer. Smooth, extremely drinkable, and plenty of good flavor. Nice transition from semi-sweet to slightly bitter and dry, begging the next sip. Would love to try this one again, nearly sessionable at 6.2%.

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours an amber color with a two finger off-white head and a bit of lacing to boot. Smell is piney with some citrus and some sweet bread malts. Taste is well balanced in a bittersweet sorta way. Sweet bready caramel notes with a bitter citrus grapefruit kick. Finish is mainly bitter with some earth tones. Mouth feel is medium bodied smooth and well carbonated. Has a wet hoppy finish. Overall this is a damn good beer. First time having it. At 1.99 for the bottle it was money well spent. If I see it again I just might pick up a couple more bottles.

4.17/5  rDev +2%

12 oz bottle, poured into an ale glass

A: It has a rich copper color. Not much head, but what there is clings well to the side of the glass.

S: Excellent aroma. Really a great treatment of the hops - floral and orange-lemon. Some piney notes. A hint of sweet malt and honey.

T: Great balance of the bitterness of hops and the sweetness of the malt and tartness of the citrus character. Less over-powering than the typical IPA or double IPA offering.

M: Well-carbonated. A refreshing, drinkable beer.

O: Deschutes has managed to thread the needle by retaining the hoppy soul of a NW IPA, but in a genuinely refreshing, tasty package. Nice beer to enjoy after hitting the slopes.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Edit 3/11/2013: changed appearance from 4 to 4.25 and smell from 3.5 to 4.25 based upon having on tap yesterday and from the bottle tonight. My esteem for this beer has risen. The aroma on tap was wonderfully fragrant - more NW IPA than NWPA, but the taste (probably should increase this rating too) is outstanding. This is my favorite APA. I have only one regret about this beer - it is only available seasonally.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Best by 7/28/2011.

A-Pours a deep golden, almost orange color with a two finger, off-white head with decent retention and ample lacing.

S-A citrus hop bouquet from a judicious use of Cascade and Centennial hops. I would favor more aroma, but it is appropriate for style.

T-Very well balanced. Bitter hops are supported by a pleasantly smooth, bready malt backbone followed with a slight hop twang in the finish. Very nice. Delicious.

M-Very smooth and extremely well balanced. Light and refreshing. 7 different malts provide an amazingly luscious feel.

O-This "debut Northwest Pale Ale" is very good. My only regret is that it is a seasonal. Very easy drinking. I could readily enjoy a whole six pack on a hot summer day into evening. One of my favorite APAs.

Traded for this with miikezombie(Thanks)

Best by 4/28/11

A-Nice frothy head! Dark amber color and after drinking half the beer, decent lacing.

S-I first get a VERY floral scent(actually reminds me of Flower Power, crazy considering this is a Pale Ale), a malty smell and some pine and hops.

T-malty at first, with the hops, piney taste coming in at the end.

M-nice medium mouthfeel, very smooth brew.

D-This taste more like a 5% beer, than a 6.4%. If I could get this in Ohio, I'd buy a lot of it.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

Glowing bright amber orange with a thin cover of off-white head.

Smells great - grapefruit, floral, a little oily. Enticing to the nose.

Sweet - like candied grapefruit and flower petals. Mild hoppy bitterness to close. Rather subdued, really.

Light, hoppy, dry to the tongue.

Grades out really high because there's no doubt that it's very good. Oddly though, I'm not that drawn to it. Not warranting a "I'd really like another," response.

3.77/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a Duvel chalice. Beer was a clear amber color, with a one-finger, white head. Moderate carbonation and light lacing around the glass.

Aroma was bitter citrus hops, caramel and malt.

Taste was pine hops balanced by malt, caramel and nuts.

Thick, somewhat chewy mouthfeel. Moderately bitter finish. Balanced and easy drinking. Would buy this one again.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

I am a big fan of APA's, and I am a firm believer that Deschutes Brewery is a gem of an operation. With those two things being said, when I happened upon a six pack of this at the store, I bought it without hesitation. Poured from a bottle into my Camp Shelby Army National Guard mug.

Appearance - Pours a nice dark copper, almost rust color with a two finger head that exits stage left fairly quickly. Leaves great lacing.

Smell - Everything you would expect out of an APA, or even an IPA. Orange peel, grapefruit, resin and pine dominate the nose. I actually smelled this beer as I was pouring it and not looking at it because my wife was saying something to me. When I smell a beer from four feet away, it's gonna be good.

Taste - Hop forward, in your face. Citrus, pine, and grapefruit are the order of the day, backed by nice creamy malts that make their presence felt more as the beer warms up. Excellent taste, so close to a well-balanced IPA it's ridiculous. This brew could likely double as either an American or India, because I've taste "IPA's" that aren't this hoppy. It's a good hoppy though, very well done. 6.4% ABV totally masked.

Mouthfeel - Finishes nice and smooth, with a thickness that complements the taste very nicely. Nothing in the finish distracts from the overall excellence of the taste.

Overall - Deschutes does not disappoint, once again. I will likely have to put them in the same category as Founders, in that I have never had a "bad" beer from them to speak of. This is a very impressive APA. I would highly recommend this beer to the novice and the experienced beer drinker alike. Absolutely drink this one.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: A great looking clear amber color with a finger of off white head; A decent amount of lacing is left behind

Smell: Tropical and citrus hops balanced out with bready malts; A hint of pine for good measure

Taste: Tropical fruits hit my palate upfront, followed by citrus. Then comes the bready malt mid palate, but the citrus hops maintains throughout with waves of flavor bouncing back and forth between citrus and bready malt

Mouthfeel: Heavy light to light medium mouthfeel; Substantial bitterness, crisp and refreshing. Soft carbonation

Overall: Hands down one of the better pale ales iv had. It has all the fruity hops you want in an APA, but also has a wonderful bready backbone that carries the flavors through the finish. I like my pale ales to be a subdued version of a juicy IPA, and thats exactly what this is. In fact, this is basically the little brother of fresh squeeze. Deschutes has been gradually rising towards the top as one of my favorite breweries since they started distributing in my state about a year ago, and this is another reason why.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

This brew pours a mostly opaque copper color with a white one finger head which lasts for a while. There is good carbonation and light to moderate lacing.

The smell is heavy on grapefruit and orange. There is some pine as well as a malty, bready smell but the hops dominate.

The taste follows the nose with the grapefruit tasting hops dominating, a bit overwhelming for a beer that bills itself as a Pale Ale and not an IPA. There is also, orange, lemon and pine with a bready, caramel malt backbone present from beginning to end. The finish leaves some hop oil on the tongue.

Overall this is a good beer, it is well balanced albeit a bit stronger than your average Pale Ale but that is what I have come to expect from Deschutes.

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

pours a beautiful red golden with a nice thick head - looks like a tasty brew.

smell is a nice balance of buiscuits and strong, intense floral, piney and citric northwest hops - very solid, and intensely hop-driven nose for a pale ale.

Taste was just good - what you'd expect from a solid west coast pale - a lot more malt driven than the nose would imply - finishes slightly warm and pleasant.

feel was a little dull for me, just didn't have that nice punch that i wanted.

Overall this is a really great beer, a solid pale ale with a delicious, classically west coast hop character - this will join the ranks of other solid Deschutes beer...mmm

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Strong, deep amber color with a nice hoppy aroma. The hops flavor is not as overpowering as I find some IPAs to be, and has a nice little grapefruit in it as well. A good beer for a hot sunset.

3.62/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a hazy, orange/ruby color with a semi-thick, off-white head of 1.5 fingers. Retention is average, but it's pretty appealing.

S - Piney, earthy, and grapefruit notes all come to mind, though they're restrained (which is welcome). Caramel, candied sugar, and spice come through. Subtly complex.

T - Resinous pine, citrus, grapefruit, and grassy hops counter the pale and caramel malt foundation. Spice and candied sugar on the climax. It actually doesn't taste as complex as the nose had predicted, but it's incredibly well balanced, and never really invokes a bitter taste. Very good.

M - Medium bodied, probably thicker than it should be, crisp throughout to a smooth finish.

D - Another great offering from Deschutes. I don't think can make a bad beer, though. The balance on this one alone is remarkable.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Purchased a single at Binny's...poured into a standard pint glass and let sit for a few minutes.

A=Rich, dark gold color with steady eggshell head that lasted for about 2 minutes...very nice.

S=Almost none--perhaps a very faint floral smell at first, and then some apricot later on.

T=First sip--hops dominated, with a smokiness to it. Apricot and milkiness developed later on, with a spicy, nutmeg like, bite.

M=Noticeable carbonation at first, but sourness made it a bit difficult to drink more than one of.

O=Reminded me of Magic Hat #9, with a tastier hop backbone. I may try a tap with the right meal,e.g. barbecued chicken.

Red Chair NWPA from Deschutes Brewery