Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)
Deschutes Brewery

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)
Notes: Released February 2010. This is, according to the brewer at the Portland Pub, the same recipe as 'Super Jubel', but was aged in pinot noir barrels for 13-months before the release.

Approx. 500 BBL produced.

10% Alcohol by Volume (ABV)
55 International Bittering Units (IBUs)
Reviews: 339 | Ratings: 600 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by GregSVT:
4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bomber into a snifter

A: Pours a deep brown almost black which a small brown head that fades to a ring leaving a bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The aromas coming out of the glass are excellent. Lots of apple, cherry, and malty aromas with notes of wine and nutmeg. There is so much going on in the nose I can't put my finger on a few of the aromas.

T: The taste mirrors the nose with lots of apple, in the form of green apples, cherry, and malty flavors. There's an acidic quality to this that isn't bad but it's a bit odd at first. Almost tastes like some belgian beers but not as yeasty.

M: The feel is considerably thicker than regular Jubeale and the carbonation is a bit lower. Both aspect help the flavors to last on the palate.

D: This is an excellent offering from Deschutes and I would drink this all night if the ABV wasn't so high and it wasn't so rare.

I have another one I'm going to hold on to. I can see this aging gracefully for the next 3 or 4 years at least.

3.59/5  rDev -14.1%

Slowly I have collected up 4 bottles of this beer from Bifs, and extras in trades. Thanks to my Secret Santa 2011 Mulder1010 and Crushedevol for sending these bottles my way. Sadly my memory fails me and I cannot remember who else sent me a bottle. Anyhow thanks guys!

This beer was chilled and was served in a wide mouth goblet. A bit too cold to begin with but after a few minutes its ready to rock.

A- The body is a murky dark brown. The head of the beer is light tan coloration. No real retention and doesnt withstand my mustache. No lacing noted.

S- Vinous notes waft across my olfactory senses. Vanilla, caramel, nugget, burnt caramel, toffee, molasses and brown sugar ride into an undertow of dark undefined fruityness.

T- Very sweet push of burnt sugar, caramel dipped red grapes perhaps even some beet sugaryness. A little astringency similar to vermouth or a gin like after taste. A bit of alcohol but not much else.

M- Full bodied low carbonation but works well with the body. The alcohol is a little hot but not bad in the least.

O- The beer is sweet but not cloying. Not bad but its missing something to my taste. Perhaps a little more time in the bottle will aid this beer.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance – A very dark amber red. Head is a finger thick, and disappears after a few minutes.

Smell – Unusually sweet for a strong ale. Not quite brown sugar, molasses, or honey; maybe a sweet bourbon or port with caramel. Definitely some oaky red wine notes as well.

Taste – A sweet bourbon is the first thing I notice. Also some oaky red wine. A bitter bite is also present that I’m not fond of, which remains in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – A light burn from the 10% abv. Creamy and very lightly carbonated. Very syrupy if swooshed in your mouth.

Drinkability – A decent strong ale, but a bitter aftertaste detracts from the drinkability.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

First tried on Feb. 5th (release day), then again on Feb 25th - both times at Portland's Deschutes Pub. The later one is from a 12 oz. snifter pour ($6) and is the basis for this review.

A: Deep brown/mahogany with ruddier highlights. A spongy beige head that barely covers, lifespan is brief. Sudsy lace holds longer, hanging in tight speckles.

S: Fine and full aroma of cocoa and sweet coffee, tobacco and leather, berry and a light smoky char. Woodsy 'barrel' holds a subtle 'pinot' musk, more cherry-like than anything. Enticing when cool, enthralling as it warms.

T: Chewy cocoa and plump cherry, dash of holiday spice. Oak-y spice, vanilla and char, are there yet smooth and appropriately held in balance. Semi-sweet chocolate, a dark and fruity reduction, too. Later, a savory 'meatiness', so much to reflect on; to call it 'port-like' wouldn't be far off. Reminds me of Hair of the Dog's excellent 'Adam', though perhaps even smoother.

M: Awesome feel, velvety warmth yet not a trace of phenolic heat. Active enough carbonation inside a medium-full body. Neither too bitter nor too sweet on the tongue, what lingers is equitable between both.

D: Probably a little 'young', though at 13 months in the barrel, this has mellowed wonderfully; 10% alcohol's slight heat barely prevents a '5' score. Malty sweets, rich fruits and a layered bitterness blend to create a gem that Deschutes has to proud of. Fortunately for all of us, bottles abound (marked BEST AFTER: 01/2011); this could be my favorite Reserve Series brew, save for a nicely-aged bottle of The Abyss. But even that may be debatable...

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a lot thicker than I expected, the pour being very dark amber, but the glass appearing to be almost black ruby, except for a layer of light at the edges. Very thin small-bubbled ring on the pour, no lacing and doesn't last, but not surprising given the style.

Smells almost exactly like oatmeal raisin cookies, cinnamon, and smooth bourbon. Taste is at first grains, with a wash of plum and a bite of licorice at the end, slightly peppery and fairly smokey.

The carbonation cuts the heavy weight of the beer sharply, with a pronounced edge of feel that doesn't overpower. Just about perfect for this heavy a beer.

This is a very heavy, hearty beer with a definite booze whallop. One 22oz is going to be it for me tonight. Definitely great beer though.

If you hated Jubelale, don't bother. If you loved (or even liked) Jubelale, this is great stuff.

3.72/5  rDev -11%

750ml bottle into my Narke Tulip...Dark brown color with lots of amber highlights. Very light carbonation...Aroma is light, barleywine quality but aged in a red wine....Taste is pretty good. Barleywine with light red wine.

Nothing bad, nothing good.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

3.84/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. wax-sealed bomber split between a pair of snifters. Purchased in 2011 on a West Coast trip and held at cellar temperature ever since. "Best after" January 29, 2011 and poured on January 21, 2015.

Dark hazy mahogony with a small and short-lived creamy beige head.

Aroma is heavy barleywine-like brown sugar malts. Dark fruit esters (raisins, plums) and wood. Light hint of spice.

The aroma is mostly dominated by thick, sweet malts, but the flavor is a little more complex. There's still a healthy amount of brown sugar, but the barrel flavors come out a little better with cherry, oak, and vanilla. A bit estery and some moderate alcohol flavors. Almost dessert wine-like with a touch of oxidized sherry. Warm and sweet, but neither cloying nor too hot.

Full body and low carbonation. Thick and chewy mouthfeel.

Perhaps a little past its prime. Resembles an English barleywine that's been aged in wine barrels. The complexity is sadly lacking.

4.69/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this on tap at the pub for the release party. Gary Fish even showed up to give a little speech about the history of this beer...very cool! Drinking out of the Jubel 2010 Commemorative glass (kind of like a pinot noir glass)

A: Pours a dark chocolate brown body with hints of ruby in the light, and the body is slightly transparent on the edges. Small one finger head falls to thin lacing. Appears more like a barleywine than an American Strong, fairly viscous...

S: Very barleywine-like, lots of dark fruit, roasted caramel malt, toffee, apricot, green apple, very complex and almost reminiscent of a Belgian triple. Excited to taste it!

T: Leads out with the fruit, lots of lighter fruits. Definitely get the green apple, faint apricot, raisin, and a little honey. Then the malt comes through with caramel, toffee, and a little roastiness that rounds out the sweetness of the fruits. The finish is long with a faint hint of grassy floral hop.

M: I expected it to be heavier, but that's a good thing, the body comes across closer to medium than heavy, but definitely viscous. The carbonation on this beer is unreal, it is present but so soft and creamy it is amazing how smooth this is especially for 11%!

D: Dangerously drinkable for 11%...the booze comes through ever so faint on the finish which detracts from the drinkability just a touch. Overall this beer is fantastic, definitely world class and one that I will be picking up several of!

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours dark brown with a one finger light brown had. Dissipates rather quickly. Still looks impressive.

Aroma of chocolate, malts.

Taste has chocolate, dark malts, caramel, bourbon and some hints of citrus.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy.

Overall, a very nice brew.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Pours a dark brown with a bit of ruby around the edges and a finger of frothy khaki colored head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of dark caramel malts and dark fruits with some brown sugar, oak, red grapes, vanilla, and a bit of booze.

T - Starts off with a mix of dark fruit and dark caramel malts with a bit of licorice and vanilla. Through the middle, some more raisin and other dark fruits come through with some red wine grapes, oak, and brown sugar. Finish is a mix of molasses, dark fruit, dark caramel malts, oak, red wine grape, and a bit of booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth and a bit syrupy with a warming and sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. Really nice overall balance. The barrel adds some nice character next to the malty base beer.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Jubel got into Boise yesterday... I was able to talk Brenda into heading to the COOP tonight for me... Poured into my Delerium goblet.

3/4" Tan head with good retention and lacing... The brew pours significantly darker than I was expecting... deep chocolate brown until you hold it to a bright lite and crystal clear deep garnet highlites are revealed... very pretty.

Nose is really malty with a nice dark fruity element.. maybe a bit of tannic woody notes... caramel and a dusting of cocoa.. needs warmth to blossom... getting some vinous notes as it hits room temperature.... pretty damn good.

Flavor is again nicely malty with similar but more pronounced dark fruit esters .. the wood really compliments the complexity of the malts... not getting any "wine" character, but I doubt I would be able to pick it out without one of my wine friends explaining it to me... raisins show throughout with something that I can only describe as essence of plum.. once I think about it a while, I can really see where this is a much bigger version of Jubelale... where Jubelale tends to be drier, this has a nice rich maltiness from front to back.. but the finish does dry out with some woody tannins and that is where I think I'm getting the wine barrel... finish lingers forever with wood and dried fruits and lite cocoa... yummy .. some black pepper shows with room temperature... could be perceived alcohol..

Great medium/lite heavy body with smooth lighter than expected carbonation... this is a brew that is really making me think.. I can see how this is going to get better with some age .. but honesty right now thinks are meshing fairly well. The drinkability is high for me even though this is such a sipper... each sip reveals new flavors and makes me want another... this is going to be a pleasure finishing off this bottle over the next couple of hours... Nice for sure.

4/4/4.5/4.5/4.5

Poured into a sniffer.

Appearance: It pours somewhere between black and a deep mahogany with an off white head about a finger thick that fades into a thin lacing.

Aroma: Spicy, herbal, vanilla, oak, cinnamon, slight tartness with caramel, complex and very nice.

Taste: Subtle notes of oak and vanilla, caramel, dark fruits, chocolate and a touch of booze.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and creamy with medium low carbonation, silky smooth.

Overall: Very good beer, complex nose and taste, enjoyable to drink.

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to Ladd for leaving this in my cooler after a long day at Dark Lord Day. It found its way to my fridge where it has been chilling ever since. Figured I break it out tonight and share with Ridgley and Kate. First time trying it for all of us. Split between three in the poker room.

Poured into my Portsmouth snifter. Dark translucent brown flow. I expected it to be a bit darker and thicker and was a bit surprised when first pouring it. Once sitting in the glass, it took on a dark cola appearance with a thick mocha head. This settled down quickly and left a bubbled ring around the edge. Small amounts of lace were left behind.

I must say that I was more impressed with this beer in about every aspect than I figured I would be. I'm not really sure why I thought I was going to be underwhelmed, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised. I am a huge fan of the Abyss, and was reminded of that fine brew both on the nose and the palate. The smell was very malty and sugary. Dark ripe fruits with syrup or molasses. I'm not generally overly impressed with beers that tend toward sweetness, but this one smells excellent!

The taste impresses just as much as I had hoped given the smell. Starts out with a sweet chocolate malty taste, almost like cocoa that cycles all the way to a slightly hoppy bitter finish. The first drink I took of this beer had a very distinct berry taste at the end. It was quite odd and the other two were not totally convinced I knew what I was tasting. I'm not talking about dark or overripe fruits which are also in there and remain throughout the session, but rather a sweet berry. Not a flavor that repeated itself, but it was definitely there in the beginning. The only detracting part of this beer was a slightly "off" bitterness at the end - maybe it's the 10% alcohol. The mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I'd prefer - medium bodied with little carbonation...I wish there was just a bit more to it.

Very pleasantly surprised with the Jubel 10. I only got a third of a bottle, but was definitely looking for some more when I had finished mine. I'm leaving in a few days for a road trip back to Montana and will definitely see if there is still some available out there. Yet another great brew by Deschutes.

Consumed: 6/16/2010

3.33/5  rDev -20.3%

A - Dark brown beer that turned a deep ruby red on the edges. Some pretty nice lace left on the sides.

S - Caramel, brown sugar, toffee, a little booze, and some dark fruit.

T - Really sweet, has some caramel and toffee on a brown sugar backbone. Booze runds a little hot. It's not bad, but maybe should sit a bit.

M - Relatively full with lower carbonation.

O - Needs some time to cool down, it's not a bad beer, but maybe giving it some time would help. Believe it says give it a year or so on the bottle, not bad advice.

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale) from Deschutes Brewery