Hop In The Dark Cascadian Dark Ale | Deschutes Brewery

deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Black Ale

An India Black Ale.
Available - May to September
Alc. by Vol. - 6.5% (2010), 6.9% (2011)
IBUs - 75

Added by JohnGalt1 on 05-27-2010

10%
4.2

Ratings: 1,345 |  Reviews: 506

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark brown, mysterious appearance. Lots of carbonation when held up to a bright blacklight. Awesome lacing that doesn't seem to dissipate... ever.

S: Smells very... dark? Smells like a treasure chest from the depths of the ocean coated with molasses and caramel. Very inviting, I can already tell it's my kind of ale.

T: Tastes like it just came out of the tap. Lots of immediate rushing malts, a bit piney and semi-sweet around the edges. I love the taste... I LOVE it! There is absolutely no coppery or metallic initial taste, or aftertaste, and the malty flavor of the brew flows the entire way down without a pause.

M: Pretty good but not as creamy or frothy or full as I'd expect from a beer with this kind of taste. Medium-weight, medium-complexity in the mouth. Goes down nice and smooth though, that's for sure!

O: One of my favorite finds of 2011 to be honest. I wasn't expecting as much as it gave me, especially since I've only seen this in 1 single spot (the place I picked up from tonight). It's a very complete Half-IPA, Half-DarkAle style brew that is bound to leave recepients tastefully filled and content. Highly recommended to absolutely anyone. A.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

22 ounce bomber poured aggressively into a pint glass. Best by 11/28/11...looks like I'm cracking this one open just in time. Dark ruby/brown body sitting under a thick, rocky light brown head. Nice retention and ample lacing.

Aroma is a nice balance of pine/citrus hops and dark malts, with the malts taking over by just a small margin. Chocolate, roasted malts, and a bit of a coffee presence are all noticeable. Light toffee-like flavor as well.

Flavor is bitter, but not palate-killing. Dark bitter chocolate, coffee, and piney hops are all at the forefront. Light sweet caramel malts roasted malts are also present.

Medium-bodied, somewhat dry but very smooth mouthfeel.

Being a fairly new style, I've only had a few Black Ales. I like this one, although it's a little more malt-forward than the others I've tried.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Bomber - thanks to zacs for this one!

Appearance – Black/brown colour with a very large size frothy and fizzy light brown coloured head. It’s hard to make out the carbonation level due to the darkness of the beer and there is some really good lacing. The head lasted for 7 minutes before it was gone.

Smell – Malts, hops, grapefruit, chocolate

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, chocolate and a hint of coffee. There is also quite a bit of hop bitterness and some juicy grapefruit/citrus flavour. It ends with a roasted malt and hoppy/citrusy aftertaste.

Overall – This is one of my favourite styles of beer and Deschutes has a done a fantastic job with it. It has a great diverse/interesting taste and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire bottle. I wish this one was available to me locally.

Hop In The Dark Cascadian Dark Ale from Deschutes Brewery