Black Butte XXII | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Porter

Released June 2010, Draft-only, after a problem with bottles detailed here: http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/blog/2010/06/28/black-butte-xxii-cancelation/

Imperial "Porter brewed with cocoa nibs, orange and natural flavors added, with 25% aged in Bourbon Barrels"

Added by msubulldog25 on 06-17-2010

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

Tried this beer at the Portland location out of a snifter.

Appearance - extremely dark but a little lighter than Black Butte XXI iif I remember correctly. Not much of a head to speak of, more like a tiny ring of lacing that did not feel like dissipating.

Smell - Very friendly on the nose. I picked up orange, coffee, and dark chocolate.

Taste - Incredible! Easily one of my favorite beers, it's too bad that Deschutes destroyed all of the bottles that they were going to release. Instead of a coffee taste followed by orange, I got both notes at the same time, making me think of a Boresha instead of a mocha. On the finish you get a great wave of dark chocolate followed by the tiny burn of alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Very good, but i would expect a beer like this to be a little heavier and viscous.

Drinkability - I could session this beer without any hesitation. Unfortunately, due to the 11% alcohol, this could get dangerous fast.

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance - Nice and dark with a good head and lacing. Looks awesome.

Smell - Smells like chocolate!

Taste - Nice roasted flavor and the chocolate is intense, I get a little of the orange, but I wasn't getting the chile. I mean I am sure it is in there I just wasn't picking it up.

Mouthfeel - Good body, nice and smooth. This stuff is pretty thick.

Drink - hardly noticed the 11%, could have drank a couple, but I wanted to try some other beers.

Definitely good, sad it won't be bottle. Would like to try this with some age on it, though I am sure they will have it at the pub again in a couple months.

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

On tap at City Beer in SF. What a nice little surprise since the online draft list made no mention of this one. I have a Black Butte XXI at home, but haven't tried one yet. I have no real expectations in mind.

Opaque body with a rich dark brown foam. Foam is thin and gone quickly. Looks good for what it is, enticing, but a little more foam would have taken it up a notch for me.

The aroma is heavenly. Deep aromas of chocolate, hints of roast, sweet bourbon, vanilla, oak and toasty grains just sing together. This is one of those beers that I could just smell all day. I wish that I were some sort of Olympic calibre swimmer so that I could take deeper whiffs. Hopefully the taste follows suit.

The flavor is right in line with the aroma. It's a very intense flavor that leans a little more on the bourbon than the aroma, but this is quite the exercise in balanced flavors. The tinge of orange is a nice touch that keeps things fresh. I don't detect any other spices that are mentioned. To that, they are melded perfectly into the overall flavor of the beer.

Overall, wow. This is a beer that really moves my needle, and few do that these days. It's sad that this never made it to the bottle. It's a fantastic beer that has all the right levels and depth of flavor without being messy. I love it. There are few beers that I would choose over it.

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Had at the Portland pub.
A- Very black and no head. Thin ring of foam around the edge.

S- Excellent smell. Coffee, dark chocolate, dark roasted burnt malts yet they are mellow and smooth smelling, smells great. This just has a great aroma.

T- This beer is excellent! No issues here chocolate has a great taste mixing with the roasted malts. This is semi chocolate milk tasting, with a great vanilla chocolate taste. This is a solid brew that I wish I had more of, shame. Seems quite balanced and just sexy.

M- Thick and yet the little carbination helps. I'm glad to have a thicker porter, some porters are too thin.

D- Hell Yes! Just hook me up to the tap.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

On tap at Deschutes' 22nd Birthday Bash in Bend, served in tulip snifter.

A - pitch black, one and a half fingers of tan, brown-sugar head.  Thick lacing that lingers throughout.  Perfect.

S - espresso, dark chocolate, roasted malt, lots of chili, undercurrent of fruit, orange peel, hints of bourbon.

T - coffee and dark chocolate up front, orange and chili come through to provide balance; finishes semi-sweet with hints of chili, chocolate, and bourbon.  Coffee and chocolate flavors peak again and linger with retro-olfaction.  The chili and bourbon become slightly more noticeable as the glass progresses -- magnified by aeration.  The chili is very interesting and works very well -- not spicy, per se, more like a mole sauce.

M - smooth, frothy, subdued carbonation, but not flat!

D - exceptionally drinkable.  The 11% is hardly perceptable.  More complex than last year's, but slightly less sweet.  A worthy successor to an already excellent brew.

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Thick Khaki Colored Head with tight bubbles, dissipated quicker than I prefer. Beautiful black color, saw nothing but reflection in glass.

Smell: Chocolate, tons of it. Orange peel, vanilla, oak wood, no chile pepper that I could tell. one of the best beer aromas I've ever encountered.

Taste: Brewed with Theo's chocolate from Seattle. Everything in the aroma translated perfectly. Very balanced for the style.

Mouthfeel: Rich and thick but not too heavy. Perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: Incredibly drinkable for the style. The 11% is dangerously well hidden.

Black Butte XXII from Deschutes Brewery