Fresh Squeezed IPA | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

This mouthwateringly delicious IPA gets its flavor from a heavy helping of Citra and Mosaic hops. Don't worry, no fruit was harmed in the making of this beer.

Added by ccrida on 12-31-2009

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.32/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Citrus front with an earthy finish, has a little sweetness to it.

Taste Rating in Words: It's blowing up a tube, it's a lot of work but in the end it's worth it if you have fun with it.

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The appearance was a clear amber colored body with a one and a half finger white foamy head that dies within a minute. Carbonation is seen rising at a moderate pace. The smell had a strong mango and orange up front, super light caramel is there but only as it warms. The taste was mostly bitter, but balances to a citrusy sweetness, mango/orange aftertaste, bitter dry finish. The palate was about a light to medium, sessionable. Carbonation is what I believe to be great for the style and for me as a nice punch assaulting the tongue and mouth hits pretty good. Overall, this is a great AIPA - bitter all around, but has a nice citrus sweetness. The carbonation adequately assaulted the tongue and mouth as it should. I can see why so many people like this as I believe I will jump on this bandwagon as well.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -1%

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I recently completed a brewery horizontal of Deschutes beers as a part of the eradication of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody. It now becomes incumbent upon me to do some "chipping", that is, drinking & reviewing those beers which I did not have available at that time. The fact that they are marked as "Bottle Conditioned" makes it even cooler.

From the bottle: "Family & Employee Owned Since 1988"; "Profile - A juicy, citrus and grapefruit flavor profile. As if fresh Citra and Mosaic hops were squeezed straight into the bottle."; "Bottle Conditioned for Quality [-] Live yeast added to the bottle allows this beer to age gracefully and stay fresher, longer. Keep bottles upright, and away from light & heat."; "IBUs [:] 60".

I Pop!ped the cap, knowing that between my New Year's resolution & the labeling, mine was going to be a gentle pour. I have really come to embrace this action as it leads directly into the in-glass swirl. This time, I got three fingers of foamy, rocky, light-tan head with moderate retention that left sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a stunning Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity, reminiscent of a past girlfriend's hair. Not only was hers thick & luxurious, but it was also as coarse as wire! Nose was as juicy as proclaimed on the label with loads of grapefruit, especially, but also orange & tangerine to tantalize my hophead self. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was very citrusy, but not overly bitter, hence the surprisingly low IBU designation. It was juicy, all right, tending towards orange/tangerine, but with enough grapefruit to keep it lively. Thankfully, the malt was more of a biscuity variety and not caramel, which might have been ruinous. The dry, crispness of the malt really allowed the hops to shine, satiating my ongoing hops jones. Man, it seems like too long since my last fix, dig? Baby, it is a groovy scene when the hops pusherman rolls through. Man, as the hops begin to settle in, I am getting this really mellow, sleepy vibe. I have made hops tea on more than one occasion & this was starting to have that same effect. Wow, Celestial Seasonings' SleepyTime Tea has nothing on this trip. I feel hypnotized by hops. Mellow? Man, this is like listening to Mantovani. I am on the serious nod here. The finish was so mellow & tea-like that it lulled me into its web like a Venus Flytrap slowly shutting around me. Time slowed down considerably & when I looked up, 3/4 of my beer was gone! Where did it all go? This is dangerous stuff, man! They should lay this on those cats that proclaim that they do not like AIPAs. They'd like this! I know that I did. Okay, cool cats & kittens, I gotta go do some lay-down action. Phew!

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 13 oz Weyerbacher tulip glass best before 8/11/17. Pours a very attractive deep amber with a beautiful 2 finger sticky off white head that leaves, a thick layer of foam all over the sides of the glass.

Smell is apricot, guava, pine, a hint of caramel, and grapefruit rind.

Taste follows apricot, caramel, guava, pine, and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is a big medium, slightly sticky, moderate carbonation, not really dry, and incredible drinkability, but it has a ton of flavor for 6.4% ABV.

Overall this is a beer I have wanted for sometime and @Lingenbrau made it happen thanks man. This is a tasty IPA.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

My wife and I spent some quality time with a couple that we like to hang out with the other night and my wife's co-worker mentioned that this is her favorite IPA at the moment. She kindly offered one to me so I had to try it since it had received such a glowing review.

A - This beer pours a deep amber/copper hue that is clear with very light carbonation visible. The head is off white and a thick froth in appearance and is persistent. 4.25/5
S - The aroma is nice and strong with a good dose of both pine and citrus peel, especially grapefruit. There is a bit of light caramel and toasted bread that showcases the malt, but the hops are the starts of the show here. 4/5
T - As with the aroma, the flavor is very much concentrated on showcasing the hops with the citrus peel and pine really coming through (flavor intensity is nice and strong as with the aroma). However, the malt does play a larger role in the flavor than in the aroma with a burnt sugar sweetness along with a note of dates both coming through, which cut into the bitterness which is moderately strong. The finish is moderately bitter with fairly long, but not overpowering or overly long. 4/5
M - This is a medium bodied beer that has faint carbonation and is moderately dry and crisp with a bit of astringency. The dryness sticks around for a bit but is not crazy drying like some IPAs. 4/5
O - I have to agree with my wife's co-worker, this is a very good IPA, possibly one of the best that I have ever had. It is very drinkable and not overly bitter. The flavor profile is very well thought out and executed and really works well. 4/5

Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes Brewery