Fresh Squeezed IPA | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

This mouthwateringly delicious IPA gets its flavor from a heavy helping of Citra and Mosaic hops. Don't worry, no fruit was harmed in the making of this beer.

Added by ccrida on 12-31-2009

Reviews: 661 | Ratings: 4,824
3.95/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Malt comes through more so than I typically enjoy but real nice mouthfeel to this one. Was hoping for brighter hop presence but can see why folks dig it. Smooth and flavorful. Enjoy.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sweet flavors of mint, orange, honey, vanilla. Exceptionally well blended hops. Not overpowering, very subtle mix of great flavors. Smooth as silk and no chewy residue or aftertaste like some less sophisticated or more heavy handed IPA's. One of the greats. It is pure enjoyment.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber in color with a thick white head that lingers well. Heavy amounts of lacing that last well into the session.

Orange and grapefruit aromas greet the nose with a dose of pine and a slight caramel malt character.

The initial sip starts with grapefruit and orange peel up front and finishes with a welcome balance between caramel malt and hop bitterness.

Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation and dry.

I really, really enjoyed this IPA. Very complex and very well balanced. Thank you Deschutes for once again making a killer brew.

4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

6.4% ABV, 60 ibu.
A - amber or copper color, clear with one finger light yellow head.
S - super lychee, pineapple, tangerine, and any other tropical smell!! sooooooo summer! the fruity aromas are even stronger than the punch bowl IPA! very representative of citra and mosaic hops!
T - I would say it's kinda mid-thick body, tongue was coated with the bitterness at the very beginning, and then the malty took over, last for a while.
O - it is a very delicious beer, perfect choice for the patio, a sunny day! especially the aromas, great job on that!!

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a a golden orange haze. 2 finger head with pretty good retention and some nice lacing. Smells incredibly fresh, with notes of citrus, grapefruit, orange and some sweet malt. Taste is citrus zest, grapefruit, orange, some piney resin on the finish and sweet malts. Incredibly well balanced IPA. Mouthfeel has good carbonation, light to medium body. It's one of the first IPAs I ever had, and it's still one of my go to favorites with its pricepoint and availability. Super juicy fresh IPA! 96/100

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Look was a bit darker than I was expecting and crystal clear
Smell was less citrus/fruity than I was expecting
Taste was more bitter than I was expecting
Feel was as expected!
Overall more of a bitter "west coast" style IPA. I was expecting more of a citrusy/tropical experience. It's a good IPA, again just not what I was expecting.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Quick review. Citrusy & fruity as hell. Unbelievable depth of flavor that covers sweetish fruit to pucker-inducing bitterness. Malt is just enough to do the job, & the job is to accentuate the FRUIT. I couldn't drink this brew everyday, but it's a nice treat.

4.74/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed one at Churchill's San Marcos. Very good IPA. Fruity aroma. Very fresh.

Had this again twice recently. Once on tap in Colorado and another a bottle from a friend. Still think it's really yummy. Great fresh IPA. Nice hops taste and aroma. Tasted a little bit of grapefruit. I want more!

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a delicious and original IPA. Easily a go-to IPA, or go-to beer for that matter. I haven't tasted an IPA this well balanced in a while. Slight citrus tones that aren't overpowering to the hops and aroma.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Fruit Roll up Ipa is what they should call it. Very Sweet, has more malt than your typical west coast ipa and its pretty well balanced over all, however i have to ask if it's almost too sweet. I like my ipas refreshing and crisp, but this literally tastes like oily juice.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle, label says best before 07/10/15. One of my friends gave me a bottle of this since I haven't tried it before. Served in a DFH IPA glass, the beer pours a mostly clear copper color with about an inch and a half off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is nice, the brew smells mostly like citrusy (tropical fruit, tangerine, grapefruit, oranges) hops, along with a bit of bready malt. I think the taste pretty much follows the aroma, but there's also some mango and piney hops noticeable too. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with a moderate amount of carbonation. It's also smooth and pretty easy to drink. I thought this was a pretty good IPA, I might have to buy a fresher batch of this!

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Took this one is a build-your-own-sixer at Stein's, a local liquor store.The best by date states that this beer is still good for over two months. Poured right from the fridge into a pint glass.

L: Pours a lovely orange blossom honey, very clear, with moderate visible carbonation. The inch off-white head sticks around for a good bit and then falls to a substantial film and ring that leaves moderate lacing on the glass.

S: The nose isn't quite as strong as I expected, but it has a very nice aroma of citrus and apricot, with some pineapple and bready malt providing subtle undertones.

T: Shortbread malt flavor at the outset, with an immediate sensation of pineapple/tropical fruit and apricot alongside citrus hops. The fruit flavors all blend amazingly well, as it's difficult to distinguish one taste from another. By no means do these flavors register as overtly sweet--in fact, the whole affair is more-or-less on the dry side. There's just a bit of warming alcohol in the mix. The finish is commanded by the hops--citrus and a hint of pine--that leave just the right amount of bitter.

F: Medium-bodied, crisp, and fairly clean on the palate. The carbonation feels right on the money, as does the bitter, which doesn't cling to the tongue.

O: This is a very nice IPA that Deschutes has produced. It is fruity and flavorful without being cloying. The balance is just fantastic. And--though I've only tried this one--it feels like I could put away a few of these without much trouble. This one is worth seeking out.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: [3.75] The beer is an apricot color. It has less than 1/2 a finger of head. The head is mostly small bubbles but there are larger bubbles too. The head dissipates quickly. The bottle lists the ABV 6.4% and the best by (06/10/2015).

S: [4.25] Pineapple, citrus and some pine elements. The scents are not too forward - they are subtle but still present.

T: [3.75] There is a definite malt presence through the whole sip. There is hop bitterness on the finish. The beer has a really nice balance. I am not getting the unique fruit flavors that I got off of the nose. There might be a hint of spice on the finish too.

M: [4.25] Really nice mouthfeel. Has a bit of a rich and creamy feel to the beer. The is a dry finish with the hop bitterness.

O: [4.00] I assumed that this would be more hop forward. However, the date code indicates that it is about 4.5 months old - so there may be some hop fade. Therefore this was more malt forward than I expected. The beer is still very good - but I would love to rate it fresh. This beer goes down really easily. The mouthfeel makes it one you can suck down. I will seek this out again.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a darker copper color. The head is two fingers high and eggshell in shade. Retention is moderately low, but plenty of lacing manages to stick to the glass. Despite the relative darkness, it's still an aesthetically pleasing brew. (4)

Smell: At first, I don't get much. But once it opens up, it's character really starts to pop. I really pick up a nice orange juice character to it, along with some berries, mango, and pineapple. Hell, I think I'm getting some nice ale esters, such as cherry or apricot. Even better, there are no nasty Mosaic off-notes (read: sweet onion). This nose rewards patience - it's not impressive at all initially, but opens up to become very impressive. (4)

Taste: I initially get a lot of orange character, both peel and flesh. What separates this from most IPAs is not only in its defined malt character, but a defined ester character. Notes of table sugar, cookie, and cherry really help this stand out among the IPA cavalcade. Even better, it conceals the less desirable Mosaic characteristics almost completely. The end result is an IPA that's downright deep. (4.25)

Mouthfeel: It has a lot of malt sweetness lingering throughout, along with a very long finish. While it doesn't feature elite drinkability, that's mainly due to how much is going on with this brew's flavor profile. Still, a decent crispness is featured, and the carbonation helps it go down somewhat easily. (3.75)

Overall: This is a lot more complex than the standard IPA - not even my disdain of Mosaic hops can detract from this. It's one of the few IPAs I want to genuinely savor instead of get down as quickly as possible. I'll definitely be on the lookout for this one again. (4)

4.08/5: Who says an IPA can't be complex?

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of those beers not available where I'm from so when I was in Chicago I finally got a chance to grab some.

A - Beautiful honey amber color. Clear with a 1" fine white head and good lacing.

S - Big wet/fresh hop fragrance with tangerine, grapefruit, and pineapple, along with some lighter herbal and floral notes. You can tell there is Mosaic but WITHOUT the off-putting onion character!

T - Very good flavor much like the smell with the tangerine hop character predominant and then the citrus, grapefruit, herbal, floral, and some pineapple. There is also much more malt backbone than I was expecting with a malt sweetness to go with the hop bitterness. On the finish there is the battle of hops verses malt and accompanied by a subtle yeast character.

M - Medium to light mouth-feel with a moderate to light carbonation. Really what I like about this beer is how it is an IPA with significant balance and the body fits the style well.

Overall, a great IPA. I enjoyed the fresh tangerine, grapefruit hop character accompanied by the sweet malt and yeast that many popular IPAs don't have. This one also has no detracting qualities but sits proud as a single IPA and doesn't try to punch through the DIPA division. If I just wanted a quick, flavorful IPA this would probably sit high on my list.

Glass- Perfect pint glass

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Copper Jurassic Park - like amber, nice and clear. Impressive thick 1.5 eggshell head that lasted for a while that left large lace rings as I empires the glass. I drank this three months before its "best by" date simply because I couldn't wait given the raving reviews. S very citrus with mango and orange dominating. T- citrus flavor dominated but not too fruity. Carbonation was very fine and pleasant. Rich body with medium weight. Overall one of the best IPA's I've had. Cannot wait for July when it'll be at its prime. Will definitely be on the lookout for more of these. Love love loved it.

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Pretty dark. Unexpectedly so considering the scent and taste. The darkness implies malts that do not stand too much, which gives the beer an incredible contrast that is present in every aspect.

Smell: Lots of citrus up front, orange dominates with malts lingering in the background like the quiet kid at a party that ends up being pretty cool. Booze is actually distinguishable although it is low ABV.

Taste: I actually didn't like this beer the first time i tried it, and it was on tap at a local bar in DC. I tried it again when told by a friend I should revisit, and boy am I glad I did. The hops are a constant from the first sip, but relatively tame. Orange is as present as it is in the nose, tropical fruits are present but sin in watch of its orange flavor. The beer is extremely juicy. Malt is present but refrains from ruining the style. The beer manages to have a crisp finish because of all the juiciness. This beer is really, really good. I'm glad I allowed it a comeback.

Feel: Relatively thin, making the beer very drinkable. It is relatively session-able because of the ABV, which makes this a go-to when I see it available in the area, which it has been recently.

Overall: A great beer that I overlooked because of some of its unconventional characteristics. Ended up being one of my recent favorites that I highly recommend to anyone who sees it around. Its like if Nugget Nectar and grapefruit sculpin had a love child.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Gorgeous. Citra and Mosaic combine nicely for a citrusy almost floral front, a little tangy, good carbonation, nice long fresh finish. Love this. Aptly named. Not the bitter big hit king of IPA, more delicate.

3.94/5  rDev -6%

It pours just a shade lighter (and pinker) than copper, with light tan, sudsy head, leaving huge pillows of lace behind. Grapefruit and fainter orange citrus aromas at the fore, masking still-detectable caramel. Taste is not as fruity as either the aromas or the description would let on, but still more so than your average IPA. Much more piney and resinous on the palate, but bitterness is subdued at first, and citrus, as well as mango and rind still come into play. Sweet fruity character dissipates as it lingers, but hop bitterness doesn't really set in motion until the drink has been washed down your gullet for several seconds, giving your tongue time to aerate and warm. By then, it's almost like gagging on a metal spoon, but in a good way. A smooth, easy-drinking beverage with medium body and medium carbonation.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Pours a dark copper with a sticky 1 finger head of off-white foam. Lots of carbonation. Aroma is floral a fruit - pine, flowers, citrus, grapefruit, apples, and honey. Medium weight and a decently creamy mouthfeel. Lots of mango and grapefruit up front with apples, peaches, and citrus on the back end. Has a bit of a tart finish. Very drinkable at 6.4%.

Overall, a pleasant spring/summer IPA. More fruit-forward than some of your other IPA's, but not a bad thing. I missed the bitterness on this one, but otherwise very satisfying.

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Flavorful IPA; noticable but pleasant aftertaste. Was not a huge fan of the other beverages I had consumed from this brewer, but this is a thumbs up!

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Honey/amber color pour into an ipa glass with a very foamy 1" tall off white colored head. Settles to a constant froth layer on top with quite a bit of lacing going on as well. Smells of pine, grass, and citrus with a grapefruit/tangerine combo must up front. Taste is of grapefuit, melon, grass, and pine. Pretty heavy medium bodied brew with some hop bitterness on the palate but balanced just right. I found that even with some pretty high ratings already I think Fresh Squeezed lived up to my expectations. Overall, an easy to drink ipa that is well balanced, flavorful, and yet pretty complex.

4.82/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've had this IPA several times now over the last few years (only sold out of state, but I mule home occasionally). I've come to realize that the way this IPA is crafted, it is probably my favorite standard IPA that is in wide distribution. It is so flavorful, smooth, drinkable. Whatever it is with this IPA it meets my pallet perfectly. I will continue to seek this beer out anytime I find it fresh.

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a clear amber with a mountainous khaki head.

S: Surprisingly delicate, layered aromas of caramel, biscuits, minerals, cream, lemon, lime, mandarin orange, tangerine, nectarine, pine, and herbs present themselves on the nose.

T: Notes of lemon, lime, mandarin orange, tangerine, nectarine, herbs, grass, pine, spruce, minerals, caramel, biscuits, crackers, and cream wash across the palate. The finish is balanced, imparting lingering sensations of lemon, lime, mandarin orange, herbs, and caramel.

M: Medium-bodied and sticky. Carbonation is active, yet somewhat delicate. This is very easy to drink for the style, though I would prefer crisper, firmer carbonation.

O: This is another really good IPA from Deschutes. I certainly have no problem with it.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a color perfectly identical to a copper penny. Nice foamy khaki colored layer of foam.

Aroma is sweet, fruity, and well, not quite as hoppy as I was expecting.

Peachy, woody, juicy, hop flavor. Its finished off by a carmelly, bready aftertaste. Some sips leave me with a bitter hop taste, others leave a bread-like note.

Mouthfeel is good, drinkability is good. I cant really say anything bad about this ipa, but I also cant really say anything astounding about it either.

Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes Brewery