Cinder Cone Red | Deschutes Brewery

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 227 | Ratings: 473
Reviews by JohnGalt1:
4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz picked up as a single at the Coop sometime last week for I'm guessing about $1.45.. poured into my new Sam Adams glass (the funky shaped one).

Head is foamy and long lasting.. tons of lacing.. brew is polished copper.

Aroma is hoppy but not a normal American Amber.. there is some floral hops mixed in well with the American citrus... a little toffee malt and some toasted notes.

Flavor is a fantastic mix of hops and malts... good spicy/floral and a small amount of citrus mix with caramel.. toffee and very light chocolate. Sorta sweet .. but still well within style guides. Pretty big mouthfeel for style.. but there is a ton of things that keep the palate lingering forever.

I know that I am enjoying this very fresh right now.. but wow.. it is way better than many of the other ambers that I have reviewed. Simply fantastic.

My only complaint is .. I would probably get bored after a few and want to change things up a bit.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Best by date of 06.25.14.
Poured from a bomber into a tumbler on 04.22.14.

A: See through dark red. Small head with an easy pour.

S: Sweet malt, spices, toffee.

T: Toffee dominates. Caramel and spices are there too. Slight grapefruit and pine on back end.

O: This was a very well balanced and complex amber. It was in the typical Deschutes style. It had the caramel that you would expect in an amber, but it also had a nice grapefruit/pine finish that added just enough hoppiness to make it interesting.

Rating: A-

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle, nice to see an amber ale from this outfit make it northwards, and I anticipate a still rather hoppy affair (that's called foreshadowing, ladies and germs), from my experience with this brewery thus far.

This beer pours a mostly clear, medium copper amber hue, with three fat fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and generally bubbly ecru head, which leaves some streaky malformed lace around the glass as it very, very slowly abates, like it's on island time - I've been to Bend, and there are no islands in that particular bucolic river.

It smells of semi-sweet bready caramel malt, toffee pudding, muddled, but still affable dark orchard fruit, a hint of earthy yeast, brown sugar, a subtle cherry cola otherness, and peppy leafy, weedy, and grassy hops. The taste is more bready, grainy caramel malt, a lessened biscuity toffee sweetness, gritty dark sugar, some plum and muted black cherry fruitiness, oversteeped tannic black tea, a weird chalky candy essence, and more leafy, piney, and ethereally citrusy hops.

The bubbles are quite low-key and unobtrusive in their plain Jane frothiness, the body a sturdy medium weight, and generally smooth, with a nascent airy creaminess arising as it warms. It finishes on the sweet side, the now pastry-adjacent caramel malt showing little interest in waning, as it needs all its strength to fend off the surprisingly not so prevalent hops - psych!

A decent enough amber ale, the malt the star of the show here, with the fruity hops aiding and abetting, and even providing a tangible offset. Easy enough to put back, I suppose, but not something I could see having more than one or two of, before my predilection for Deschutes' more hoppy and heady offerings beckoned me with their siren call.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

I'm trying to get past my pro-stout/dipa biases and rate beer more relative to the style it represents--I know that's the idea, but I still find it difficult. This looks like a red/amber beer. I guess that's what it's supposed to look like so I'll go with a "good" appearance rating. The staying power of its thin, patchy layer of head makes me feel better (or, uh, "good") about this designation.

Okay, I find this sought-after objectivity might prove more difficult with the smell. I'm not sure what a red ale is supposed to smell like. I do smell malts and maybe a hint of caramel, but I just about have to stick my nose into the liquid (I know some of you morons do that every time) to smell anything. It's a pint glass serving, but I don't think I've violated beer ettiquete with the glassware. Since I smell somthing that's at least "not bad," I'll call it "better-than-average."

I'm very impressed with the taste and that makes me feel a lot better about where this review is headed. Still, I admit some reluctance to annoit this relatively plain red ale with "world-class" status. Steadfast to my original aim in this review, I'd say for a plain American amber/red ale, this choice is better than good. The barley and malt balance the two different hop styles, and the sweet caramel touch pleases my palate. This contributes to a better than good mouthfeel as well.

As I weave through the characteristics I'm judging here, I probably commit yet another rating feax pas by considering one in context of the others. I don't think the drinkability is as good as the taste or mouthfeel. Though I enjoy this beer, I don't want another one and I'm not really disappointed that I don't have another one. It's a good brew from a good brewery, and I'm glad I tried it. I'll just leave it at that.

3.24/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Gorgeous big foam in the tall Timmermans goblet. Color is a copper-tinted amber. Sudsy and mouthfilling.

Some pale malt to start, with a modest sweet zing. Then the bitter bite sets its teeth. It's like sucking on rubber bands and aspirin. Thin and harsh overall. So well made except for-- oops-- the flavor.

This has to be one of the most bitter Red Ales I've ever tried to drink. I just don't get this. It lacks the hoppy complexity of an IPA and goes straight to the bitterness receptor. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Hallam's Wine in La Conner, Wash.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz brown bottle with a "Best By" freshness date notched on the side of the label. Blurb about the beer in the neck label.

A- Close to a reddish brick color, faint chill haze fades though the head stays as it shows some amazing head retention and stickage on the glass.

S- Herbal and citric hop aroma, different from years past. Big juicy tangerine hop aroma ... very aromatic.

T&M- Big juicy hop character of Amarillo hops upfront, sweet citrus juice-like. Just enough smoothness and crispness to get by. Sweet caramel and toasted malt flavor meld well with the sizable hop presence. Middle to end is more of an herbal / aspirin flavor and bitterness. Finishes with a mild sweetness and a long lingering medicinal hop flavor.

D- Don't try fixing something if it is not broken. I preferred the "East Kent Goldings" version ... unfortunately this beer has been subjected to the Amarillo Hop craze. Regardless, this is still a great ale to be had and pretty damn drinkable to boot.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Irish red ales are often dull, and the good ones are few and far between. This is a good one and its a real treat. Dark reddish amber with tons of poufy head that lasts and laces. Aroma of caramel malts, roasted barley, a light smokiness and just a trace of rainy-day mustiness that is very inviting. Big, big malts, much more than in your typical red ale, with large bursts of caramel and toffee plus some darker, coffeeish flavors. The hops (Amarillo and Tettnang according to the website) are what really tie this beer together. The balance is perfect. Light citrus and evergreen flavors together with substantial bitterness that is lightly puckering and not overwhelming. Mouthfeel is good, full and a little bit creamy. Just about the best red I've had with the possible exception of Rocky Bay Katie's Celtic.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle that just arrived down into stores in So Cal. Best by date of 7/16/09.

A- dark clear brown with the slightest red tint. Eggshell white medium dense head with medium retention. Good lacing.

S- classic Deschutes signature character. Overall it's just lightly malty.. bready caramelly faint nose. Don't pick up any of the Amarillo or Tettnang hops.

T- Pretty simple malt profile on the palate. Get the flavor of some slightly more toasted/caramel malts not a whole lot in the finish. A tad watery, finishing with some bready malt. Nothing huge here in the flavor but it is a light, tasty combination that will be reflected in the drinkability. It's also a really clean beer in terms of its flavor and also really clean on the palate, no lingering

M- A bit on the thin side, not a huge fault but maybe just thinner than I expected.

D- Man this beer went down fast, tasted good, and was super clean. I could drink LOTS of this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

Originally reviewed April 26, 2007. 12 Oz Bottle. A touch of caramelized malt amongst a flow of tangerine and persimmon floral hop quality. Reserved, yet fragrant. Pours a percolating deep amber, with brandy edges and a rocky soap of aged ivory. A touch of chill haze. Flavor is a middle ground, matching mediocre average malt character with a fresh bite of lime peel and resin. A few tannic raisins and a nip of creamy dig deeper, while Tettnang brighten a dusty backend. A touch of meatiness. Palate smacks out with some higher fruits, a touch fusely. A fairly standard red ale, with decent drinkability, a good bit of cleaniless, but not much mystique.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Didn't particularly like this beer the first time I had it so I thought I'd try it again.

Pours an amber or light red color (duh) with a nice lacey head that remains for the entire glass. Was expecting the aroma to be more sweet and malty like an Octoberfest beer, but the citrusy hops really come through, with the biscuity malts sitting in the background. Definite fruity taste, like some orange bubble-yum that you've been chewing for a little while (in a good way). A lot like marmalade too. So while the smell is hoppy, the taste is decidedly sweet, though the hops do make a welcome appearance late and remain in the aftertaste. Solidly balanced, though I do wish it were a bit sweeter and maltier, because I think that would play well with the hops that they have in this brew.

I'm glad I gave this a second shot.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

a: its a dark ruby red color with loads of burnt caramel/amber/purple/light brown. large 3 finger pretty solid off white head

s: sweet caramel & toffee, strawberry, sweet citrus, light candi sugar, and a fairly faint hop (Columbus?). ends with some grains, and a slight aroma of wort

t: all malts baby. caramel & oats. theres a nice sweet roasted quality that sends the slightest bitterness down the back of your tongue to balance the sweetness. picking up a hint of berries, and just a faint taste of cardboard (not really in a bad way)

m: medium, on the fuller side. no carbonation in the mouth, but you can feel it in your belly

o: another solid one from Deschutes. its not great, but there is a nice harmony between sweet and bitter in this - with sweet winning out (as i like). only criticism is the cardboard-like finish

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%

I the De-shoots guys, they make some pretty good stuff. I've been eyeballing this one for years in the spring. I'm not a huge red ale fan as they are usually too sweet for me. But this one is a bit different. An amber/ruby pour with a medium head. Looks like an average red, lacing lacks a bit. Some dry caramel, malt and pine in the nose. Picking up some toffee or something. Not butterscotch, can't nail it down.
Nice flavor. It's like a red with a bit more hops/pine in it. Nothing overwhelming, but enough to dry it out and leave a crispness towards the end. Makes it easier for me to drink. I like it.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE: Pours a slightly hazy amber/red color with a large off-white. There is a large amount of sticky lacing.
AROMA:
Moderate aroma of caramel malts and a hint of roasted malt. A bit of citrusy hops.
TASTE:
Caramel malts and a bit of citrus flavor up front but not as sweet as I expected. Finishes with a roasted malt/earthy hop flavor. There is a bit of an aspirin like bitterness that I don't like.
MOUTHFEEL
Medium body with a relatively dry texture. Moderate-high carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
The start and middle taste of this beer is excellent. Unfortunately, I don't like the finish that much. Reminds me of a Schwartzbier with a bit of aspirin.
NOTES: BBCSD-0906-Sean

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

4.21/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours red with a fluffy 2 fingers+ tan head. Excellent head retention & good lacing

Smell: Big fruitiness, some brown sugar note

Taste: Fruitty malt, slight grainyness & citric hop bite on the tounge. Dry & piney hopped finish

MF: Great balance, smooth, perfect carbonation

Easy drinking and a very nice take on the style. Another winner from my favorite oregon (hell pretty much anywhere) brewery!

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Deschutes is a brewery that, in my eyes, can do no wrong. Having said that, while I like Cinder Cone Red, it's not at all what I was expecting from an amber/red ale: not only is it darker (closer to brown than red), but taste-wise it's much hoppier than I expected. Indeed, for all the talk of the caramel malt on their website, the hoppiness is the star of the show here to my taste buds--floral, funky, perfumey and slightly citrusy greens. The smell is really the only place where the malt shines, and even then it's a bit muted. Excellent body, though, perfect carbonation. A bit heavy for session purposes, but delicious.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

The head was average, frothy, off-white and lasting. About an inch. Good lacing. The body was slightly cloudy and copper in color.

The aroma had an average hint of caramel malts with some grains and a touch of nuts(peanut). A good, average amount of hops. There was also a little honey and vanilla.

There was medium body with a creamy texture and some soft carbonation.

Cinder Cone's flavor had average duration with some moderate sweetness and light bitterness.

This Spring-time red ale is great this time of year and is high in the drinkability department.

Cheers!