Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Ratings: 2,143 |  Reviews: 353
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

hmmm - odd beer, so an odd review.

Is it a Belgian IPA? not to this palate.. pours zesty clear just like a Hef, and the pillowy head and lacing the same.... on the nose it reeks of yeast and dough and lemon and cloves. Taste is like fizzy bitter lemon soft drink - out of a can - plus a yeast bomb added. Lemons to the fore. Hops are there but killed by lemons. Carbonation is sky high and you can drink easily but it is soo muddled... dry, dry finish.

Too odd, and really doesn't work to this palate. To me, it is a standard Hef/wit with added lemons and a little extra hop bite.

4.51/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Once more, my thanks go out to my local, in-person trader, tone77. There are just so many beers available now that I would probably gloss over a large portion of them, but he keeps me grounded.

From the bottle: "What if wheat wasn't the goal in itself? But a route to something awesomely new?"; "Crafted for Explorers Everywhere Since 1988"; "You pair wheat, hops and Belgian yeast and suddenly 'Bingo, a wheat like nobody else's.' With real depth, coriander and sweet orange peel, it's citrus-packed and silky smooth going down."; "Pouring tip: Pour two thirds in a tilted glass. Swirl what's left around the bottle. Resume pouring in all its hazy glory."

I will openly cop to not being a fan of Black IPAs, but I can fully get behind Whites. Nope, not a racist thing as color does not and should not matter, but it just seems like the roastiness of the dark malts gets in the way of the hops' bitterness. Here, the spices compliment and bring out the hops' flavors.

I was excited to get this started, especially after really agitating it in the bottle, per the label's instructions. This resulted in a LOT of foamy, bone-white head that slowly fell, leaving so much sticky lacing behind that I may be forced to break out the jackhammer, despite planning to run the dishwasher later. Nose was really spicy, like coriander, black pepper and even perhaps some saison yeast. I want this in my mouth! Yeah, yeah, that's what she said, ad nauseum. Color was a cloudy lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) and when combined with the head atop it, it looked like a slice of lemon meringue pie. Mouthfeel was effervescent and the melange of hops and spices was riotous. I was reminded of a recent Law & Order: SVU episode in which a woman was performing fellatio with a mouthfeel of Pop Rocks. This beer is probably what that must be like although I have no personal experience. This was an exciting beer for this self-avowed hophead because it gave an all-new dimension to the style. The finish was dry, but not gasping as some AIPAs have been when saturated with hops. I like them, but this was new and different by comparison.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Chainbreaker White IPA
Deschutes Brewery, Oregon
---from bottle to pint glass---

I must preface with this short story. I ordered this beer out of straight curiosity at the Hilton Rosemont/O'Hare in Chicago. The bartender couldn't find his bottle opener (nor his brain, I assume), so I offered to open it with my personal bottle opener on my key chain. Well... this bottles cap broke my opener. So, my hopes are high!

Appearance
Pours seemingly water clear, but ends up an extremely foggy off white color with loads of sediment. Thick white head with decent lacing.

Smell
Smells funky... Sour wheat, almost. Light notes of citrus and flowers.

Taste
Immediately sweet followed by an intense, but delightful bitter. Tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice with hops. The wheat backbone holds this beer from being too 'fruity.' Oddly intriguing...

Mouth-feel
Very light, but lingering flavor. Incredibly smooth with a back end bitter that calls for another sip.

Overall
This is my first ever white IPA. I am very happy with this beer. Not your average Belgian.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%