Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Stoic | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

Added by msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

The beer pours into my Lost Abbey Teku glass with a light amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, pale-amber / gold hue when held up to the light. The beer is topped by a frothy, three-finger thick, light tan colored head. The aroma smells of golden raisins, clove, woody pepper, biscuit like grain, toasted oak notes and some spicy oak character that seems fresh cut, but not quite green. The toasted oak aromatics mixes well with the toasted, pale grain notes. There is a touch of tartness to the nose that couples with the general fruitiness, a cotton candy like note, a hint of cantaloupe melon notes and just a general, pretty expressive fruitiness in the nose. There is a fair amount of complexity in the nose of this beer, but it is not quite as well integrated as it could be; it is not bad, but at times the hot alcohol, phenolics, hints of acetone, sharper fruit notes, and spicy oak clash with each other.

The beer is sweet with a general fruitiness that leans towards plums, pears and apples up front, but this fruitiness leans towards the anticipated pomegranate towards the middle. The finish has some phenolic clove notes, a touch of spicy oak character, perhaps a touch of green woodiness and an astringent woodiness. The flavor is perhaps not quite as fruit focused as the aroma, but it is close to the dominant note in the flavor. The oak character is actually quite soft here; it is noticeable, but mostly stays in the background. The malt character is actually quite a bit more muted than I was expecting; there is a touch of cracker like maltiness and a touch of dried hay like grain. The body of this beer is quite light considering the strength, though this is definitely a sipping beer. As the beer warms up a bit more hot alcohol begins to come out, and the oak gets a bit more toasted and perhaps a bit more spicy as well.

I actually think that a more palate coating maltiness would really help this beer immensely, there are a few too many sharp edges to this beer right now. I am sure some age will also smooth this out a bit too, so if you only have one bottle, definitely hold on to it for at least a year or two.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Presentation: 22oz brown pop top, nicely waxed, with beautiful, classy label featuring a monk. 2011 vintage; enjoy by August 2012. Poured in measures into my half-pint Black Sheep goblet.

Appearance: Orange amber brew, with lots of tiny sediment in suspension (the clerk up-ended my bottle as he was wrapping it up, ugh). This is capped by a nice creamy ivory head which shows good retention. Lazy, tiny carbonation.

Smell: Not at all what I expected. Some juicy, light-red fruits, along with what smells like a ghostly hint of funk, some fairly strong bubblegum notes, and a hint of barrel character. Not typical, by any means, but quite pleasant. If this tastes anywhere near so good, it seems that I’m in for a treat!

Taste: Opens with juicy red fruit, with notes of banana and a big bubblegum presence, almost like a Bavarian Weizen. Sweet pale malt (and maybe a hint of light crystal malt) through the middle. Ends with a light red-fruit tartness and a wonderfully understated barrel character (of the whiskey, rather than the wine, variety). The vanilla/dry oakiness comes through, more than the spirit, however. Very nicely barreled beer! I wish more breweries would recognize the merits of a subtle barrel presence. This is definitely warming, but 11%? No trace!

Mouthfeel: The fairly high levels of carbonation work well with the fairly rich, creamy body.

Overall: From the fairly low scores and the fact that we still have CASES of this sitting around town, when the Abyss and BB XXIII sold out in a few hours, I wasn’t expecting much from this at all. Turns out, this was quite a nice surprise, and I’m glad I treated myself after giving a presentation on my research today. If this is still around in a couple of months, I’ll gladly pick up one more, if my budget can handle the $13.00 hit at that point. For what it’s worth, I love Boulevard Brewing, and have to give props to my local brewery, but this beer is, IMO, far superior to their barrel-aged quad with fruit.
B+ to A-

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

I bought this to try a quad that had been aged, it turns out this is a great beer to introduce someone to a mellow quad style beer. I went out and purchased another bottle, relatively expensive for it's size, but it makes a great presentation.

This is a very smooth beer with a lot of fruity flavor. It is about the easiest drinking 11% quad you will encounter. I agree with the previous reviews that it does pick up a wine quality from the barrel aging. I am ranking this pretty high due to the smoothness of this Quad. I was surprised by it!

Deschutes did a collaboration with my fav brewery, Boulevard, and they are just now moving into Missouri. Welcome! I am glad you are here.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a clear, amber/orange with a quickly falling, 1-finger, white head that doesn't leave lace. There are several, small streams of carbonation rising to the top.

The smell is of nice Belgian yeast and a bit fruity. Maybe a slight peppery aroma as well.

The taste is much like the smell with the fruit more apparent above most all else. The 11% is well-hidden though it is quite warming.

The mouthfeel is medium with a surprisingly tingly amount of carbonation.

Overall: While not a superior quad, I find it very pleasant to drink. I had no trouble with one bottle but that would suffice for a while. As with many Deschuttes products, this too, is worth trying.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from the bottle a clear copper with a bit of sediment floating about. The off-white head was whisper thin.

Aroma of Belgian yeast, caramel malts, tropical fruit, earth, candy sugar, white wine, and a touch of booze.

The taste was Belgian yeast, raisin, and white wine upfront along with tropical fruit and candy sugar. White wine lingers thru the finish. The 11% alcohol was fairly well-hidden.

Medium body and syrupy with a moderate carbonation.

A very easy-drinking Quad considering the 11%.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a really cool looking bottle with black wax helping to seal the cap. The cap tells me "bravely done". It's an opaque deep amber with quite a bit of sediment floating. Not as much head as I had hoped for.

smells a bit like earth, but mostly like wine. If I didn't know any better, I would think I was smelling a glass of wine. Mostly white grapes, I think

Taste is grapes, and fruit. Maybe some alcohol, a little bit of hop. After reading some of the other reviews, I think that the hop that I'm getting is actually the pomegranite. I really don't get much flavor out of this one, it reminds me of a red wine.

The mouthfeel was a bit strange. To see the glass, there was very little carbonation, but in the mouth, it was quite sharp and clean. I think that the mouthfeel and drinkability was the best thing about this one.

If I see this one again, I may pick up another bottle and keep it for at least a year, and try it again.

Update**

Had this on tap, in a snifter.

Golden orange color with small head and decent lacing.

Smelled like earth and spices and honey

Taste like bubblegum, yeast, spice, honey, alcohol and maple syrup.

Crisp and sharp mouthfeel that left a creamy coating on the tonque.

I wasn't terribly impressed with this from the bottle, but on tap, I absolutely loved it.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Golden amber and thin white head with no retention. Lightly fruity, Belgian sugar and yeast aromas. Fruit and light yeast flavors, vinous and oak followed with a light spice and lightly dry cracker finish. Thick, robust slickness yet not syrupy and a light pleasantly fuzzy mouthcoating.

This beer has a great subtle flavor with nothing overpowering. There is a gentle warming that accents the flavor creating a pleasant drinking experience. The mouthfeel is quite well done as well as it is full-bodied with out the syrupy heaviness. This is a good beer to experience with others, particularly wine lovers.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%

Consumed at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood CA on January 27, 2012.

Clear light amber/copper color with no head to speak of: just a fine off-white crown ringing the edges of the glass. Not as dark as a quad should be. Odd.

Aroma is esthery and rich with bubblegum. A floral note as well: clover? Not much else.

Flavor is heavy on the bubblegum. Slightly floral and sweet: honeysuckle. Fairly sweet with no alcohol or bitterness to contrast. No complexity or subtlety here I can detect despite all the alleged barrel aging and pomegranate.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable.

Innocuous and easy enough to put away, but not very successful as a quad.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%