Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Stoic | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

'Brewed with pomegranate with 16.5% being aged in oak wine barrels and 16.5% being aged in oak rye whiskey barrels'

August 2011 - Released in 22 oz. bottles and draught.

Added by msubulldog25 on 08-03-2011

4.18/5  rDev +8%

Bottle best by 8/4/12. Bottle had a thick layer of black wax on cap. When opened, the aroma of the beer erupted from the bottle.
Poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a deep orange color, with some mild haziness. The beer had some thin and very bubbly yellowish head that quickly went away leaving some very light lacing on glass.

S- The malts and the yeast are the first things to hit my nose. After a couple of more tries, I get some raisins. The dark fruits that are noticeable in a Quad are there, but they are hard to pick out individually. There is also a musty wine cellar smell coming from the beer that is a mix between wine and oak.

T- The dry red wine aftertaste is the first thing I notice. It is very complex. Kinda Boozy.

M- Medium carbonation, medium thickness. Its not as thick as some other quads.

O- Enjoyable, I liked the "red wine" aftertaste. Maybe the 16.5 percent aged in oak wine barrels made a difference. I would like to age one of these to see how the flavors "smooth" out.

3.61/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by 8/4/12. Had a really nice light straw appearance. Lots of carbonation. I had a bit of sediment in my glass. I didn't see to much on the polls about that so I don't know if it was this batch or what. Smell is huge of fruit and yeast. Light lager smell mixed with tons of fruit; apricot, apples, grapes. Taste tickles bc of the carbonation. Easy drinker for the huge abv. Much lighter than what I thought it would be, much dif than most of the quads that I've had. But in general this is not my favorite style. Overall this is a huge fruit bomb with tons of drink ability. Nice

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.76/5  rDev -2.8%

thanks to both cfh64 and MADhombrewer for both hooking this one up at roughly the same time. one of my fav styles from one of my fav breweries...as i pried the double layer of wax and finally got the cap off (bravely done) a pleasant odor filled the room, grabbed the bottle and poured into my chimay chalice.

a - poured a straw yellow that settled in the glass as a transparent orange. the head is thin and bubbly...certainly not creamy. visible carbonation jumped to the surface as the head fizzed away. i would think that this is another mis-classification of style by the first reviewer...but the bottle says "belgian styled quad". the color is more of a ipa and the head is like a bad american take on a quad.

s - smell is a bouquet of fruits and booze. there is great complexity with hints of white wine, green grapes, and some bubblegum sweetness. pomegranate is also in there. more on the lighter side of fruit than i typically go for in a quad, but this does have a very pleasant and complex smell.

t - much like the smell a medley of fruit. as a big fan of pomegranate juice, the pomegranate is really noticeable in the flavor. dominating. the barrels add a vinous quality to the flavor giving it a green grape soft bubblegum tint.

m - feels creamier than it looks. booze is well hidden in a medley of flavors. this isn't very quad-like, but definitely not as thin as most other american attempts at the style.

o - overall, this ain't yo mamma's quad. i understand the negative reviews since this is so different and in a way, almost comes across as a barrel wood chip aged fruit/vegetable beer. in a blind taste test, i would guess that this was from short's (no knock on short's, but they tend to make unclassifiable brews in my opinion...and they get beaten up for it a bit). the flavoring and smell are quite complex and enjoyable...but if you are expecting a quad, this is not your beer. i have to admit that i am a bit bummed that this came from one of my all-time favorite breweries as their first real attempt at a quad. i am pleased that i have another one of these to open at a later time though since i did find this interesting.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass
Appearance: 0.5 inch white head with no retention and light lacing

Nose: Bubblegum, sweet malt, vanilla and brown sugar

Taste: Bubblegum, hints of caramel and bananas, sweet malt and raisins finish.

Mouthfeel: Velvetty light body with a bubbly carbonation, this is pretty good.

Overall: A very good quadruple, one of the few in the style that I've actually enjoyed

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip. Best-by date is 8/4/12.

Appearance: golden-raisin hue with a little bit of haze to the body. Head poured a relatively thin finger of ivory foam. A little bit lighter than I normally see in a Quad, but nice nonetheless.

Smell: murky, funky aroma with an interesting complexity. The funk runs along the lines of the "band-aid" aroma which some yeast impart; not bad, but a little unusual.

Taste: funky flavor right along the lines of the aroma. Pear, raisins and band-aid are right up there in the palate. I like a funky beer, sure, but in this case it doesn't seem to work terribly well. Not bad, but not a favorite.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent level of carbonation and creaminess. Not bad.

Overall: this beer does not really pique my interest. I suppose I can see what the brewers were going for, but in my mind this is not a terribly successful beer. It's interesting enough, and not bad to drink, but I feel like they went the wrong way with the funky flavor profile.

Bomber - thanks to zacs for this one

Appearance - Clear reddish/copper colour with a small size fizzy beige coloured head. There is a high of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes.

Smell - Malts, caramel, banana, cherries, cloves

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel and some raisins. There is also a bit of banana mixed with cherries/pomegranate and some cloves. It ends with a malty sweet aftertaste with a bit of lingering spiciness.

Overall - Very smooth and very drinkable given the ABV. What this beer doesn't have however is any sort of 'wow factor'. For the price I'd pick up something else next time.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz. wax dipped bottle served in a tulip. Poured a slightly hazy gold with a finger of off white head. Belgian yeast spice in the aroma along with some fruit (the pomegranate) and sugar. Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. More spice in the flavor, some alcohol heat in the finish. Not getting much barrel. Plenty of malt, but not overly sweet. Big beer, seemed like there was more going on in the aroma than the flavor.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%

A- hazy orange with small white head- leaves a ring around the edge.

S- some yeast spice notes, bubble gum and fruit, some cherry maybe banana.

T- a little more fruit than I expected. Cherries and bananas little bit of alcohol warmth but covered fairly well. Little bit of Belgian yeast flavor spices and bubble gum.

M- full bodied and higher amount of carbonation.

O- a very unique beer, I've never been a big quad guy but I like this one a little more than usual. More fruit flavor than just plum like flavor.

4.26/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Lot of residue in the beer. Not sure if my husband had a poor handling/pooring job or what but is is extremely full of residue. The color is a nice golden color.

S: Smells crisp and has a strong beginning smell of bananas. Little bit of maltiness but it is a very unique smell that I can't quite pinpoint.

T: Great taste. Initially gets the hint of bananas with the first sip. Very refreshing. I get a little bit of white grapes as well. Again, a style of beer that I am not very familiar with but I think it has a great taste.

M: Good light-medium bodied crisp, cold, and refreshing.

O: Overall, I really enjoy this beer. Unique characteristics with a refreshing taste. Would buy it again. Actually, I did. I already had it but didn't review it. So yes, I would buy iti again.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer pours a murky orange color with a small amount of foamy off white head that leaves a tiny bit of lacing.

On the nose I can pick up on the pomegranate and some other undecipherable sweet notes with a slight grainyness, not overly yeasty like I would have expected. I don't pick up on any alcohol though, which is nice.

Flavor wise theres a little bit of boozyness, but its got a nice and dry finish. The sweet pomegranate dominates most of the flavor, its got a really complex flavor, everything blends together really well.

This is a nice fruit beer quad fusion, I would say its more on the fruity side than the Belgian quad though.

4.09/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber. Reviewed live.

A- Poured out a thin finger width white head. Orange-yellow color and wonderful carbonation. Some watery lacing.

S- Booze, bubblegum and brown sugar are the first notes I smell. Never smelled a beer like this before. Some medium hops and dark fruits as well. Maybe apricot.

T- Sweet and fruity, like a light wine. Nice brown sugar on the edges too. Definite booziness, the alcohol isn't overpowering though. This is a very brandy-like beer.

M- Medium bodied, with great carbonation and foamy linger.

O- Not my favorite style, but seriously awesome parts to this beer. Deschutes treats me right yet again.

The Stoic from Deschutes Brewery