Chasin' Freshies 2013 - Amarillo | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Like fresh powder, it’s a seize-the-moment thing. This year we've chased down Virgil Gamache Farms' famed Amarillo hops. At harvest, we rush the hops from the vine to our kettles to ensure we capture the purest, juiciest essence of the hop flower in every beer. Enjoy the bright, bold aroma and flavor that comes but once a year.

Added by Kegatron on 09-20-2011

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Love these guys.

The beer looks a little unusual for an IPA: It's a hazy golden yellow instead of a more trademark amber. But the thick, white head reminded me of "freshies," and the viscous, nasty lacing on the sides were what you'd see in a high-quality brew.

The oldest part of this beer was the smell, but I could still get some high notes of tangerine, grass and a little bit of fresh-cut mango. And the taste was strong enough that its oldness didn't really matter.

In my face right away was a resiny, hoppy bitterness that stays through the rest of the beer. But in the middle is a delicious mix of mango and orange, with the orange out front. It's full and smooth, with a snappy, fresh bite at the end. Deschutes' website says it might pair well with "spicy red fish stew" or "raisin filo strudel," but I think it might go just as well with barbecue chicken.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to Nate for recommending this while talking about special releases. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle with the best buy date of 12/18/13 clearly printed into a pint glass and get 1/12 fingers of head.

A: Pours a yellow, straw color with 1/2 finger of white head that dissipates at a moderately slow rate to leave a covering and thick ring of head on my glass until the end. Nice lacing on my glass from top to bottom.

S: I smell lemon rind, lemon, and lemon grass. Also, a little malt in the background. As it warms there is a big smell of pine.

T: Grapefruit and lemon, red grapefruit in the background. Pine bitterness, pepper, and lime on the second taste bud onslaught. Some mango starts and then is overwhelmed by a citric punch. The bitterness of pine resin is the finish.

M: Juicy. Medium-bodied and carbonated and juicy.

O: The beer is a very interesting and tasty beer. I found it to be a taste sensation in the beginning with something more than pine resin. That is certainly how it finishes and what stays with me when I not drinking it. It is a juicy beer and goes down good. I'm glad I was able to catch it this year.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%