Chasin' Freshies 2013 - Amarillo | Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Like fresh powder, it’s a seize-the-moment thing. This year we've chased down Virgil Gamache Farms' famed Amarillo hops. At harvest, we rush the hops from the vine to our kettles to ensure we capture the purest, juiciest essence of the hop flower in every beer. Enjoy the bright, bold aroma and flavor that comes but once a year.

Added by Kegatron on 09-20-2011

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. bottle.

Hazy, golden yellow body with light lemon edges. Small, gauzy, dense, off-white head. Very floral hop nose. Fresh. Plenty of citrus as well. Subtle fruit malt notes. Nice.

Toasted biscuit malt up front. Citrus peel hop bitterness quickly follows. Light candyish sweetness fills in. Dry and light with honey accents. Becomes fruitier near the finish, which blends nicely with juicy citrus and pine hop flavors. Dries out more in the finish, although there is some lingering honeyish sweetness. Moderate body, with a slick feel. Not bad, but not my favorite hoppy Deschutes offering.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Side poured with standard vigor from teh bomber into a pint glass. I missed the best by date by about a month but hey, it's an IPA, can't make that much of a difference amirite? When I first heard the name of this brew, before I seen the bottle, I thought they were talking about freshies as in shoes, like the beer was gonna be modeled after Pauly D or something. Anyway....

Appearance - Nice one and a half finger puffy white head billows to the top of a hazy yellow body. Although head retention is somewhat lacking, the beer leaves excellent lacing. Always maintains a bit of head, but not much. Like the packaging!

Smell - Excellent fruity/herbal hop character that is backed up by a solid bready and toasty malt character. This is an excellent smelling brew. Some grassy notes as well, very solid

Taste - Just like I thought, the best by date had little effect on the taste. Starts by washing the palate with a nice malty character, which is then overtaken and thoroughly dominated by hops. Hop character is lemons, citrus, grapefruit and grapes. Well balanced for sure.

Mouthfeel - Light, easy to drink, goes down so smooth and easy. Lightly carbonated, light bodied. Outstanding. This could be a dangerously smooth IPA.

Overall - This is an excellent IPA, in my opinion. Of course, there are better out there, but I really liked this one. I think Deschutes does a good job with it. I wouldn't send it into full-time production, and there are certainly much better Deschutes products, but given what it is, I think it is a quality beer worth your time and money.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

2.42/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Reviewed live. Best-by date 12/27/12. That's disappointing. I missed the fresh date. The review will be short, and I'll try and catch it again next year.

A- One finger white head. Fairly short retention. Light gold body.

S- Soapy cascade hops. Light malt character.

T- Soapy, grassy, just a smidge past fresh. Too bad.

M- Light, nice carbonation.

O- Worst beer I've had from Deschutes, but it is the store's fault. I bought this Jan. 26, almost a month past fresh date. That will teach me to check the best-by date.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance has a hazy golden yellow color supporting a thin head leaving spotty lace. Aroma of sweet citrus, mild hop and caramel malts. Taste again has that sweet citrus carrying a fair malt backbone that blend well with the hops. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Not an aggresive IPA, but more of a refreshing IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%