Conflux No. 1 (Collage) | Deschutes Brewery

Conflux No. 1 (Collage)Conflux No. 1 (Collage)
4.16/5
Exceptional
Conflux No. 1 (Collage)Conflux No. 1 (Collage)

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Deschutes Brewery and Hair of The Dog Brewing Company join forces to weave The Dissident and The Stoic and Fred and Adam into an artistic collage of cask-aging alchemy.

Barrel Aging: Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak

Released in May 2012 (12 oz. bottles)

Added by msubulldog25 on 05-01-2012

firstprev| 751-775 | 776-800 | 801-825  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

near 12 dollars for a single 12oz bottle. yikes! this blended beer geek dream pours a very dark ruby red that almost appears brown, if not held up to the light. perfectly clear, half inch off white head that doesnt last long. smells majorly complex, im picking up dried fruit, fresh cranberries, brettanomyces, red wine tannons, vanilla, belgian yeast, and heavy booze. its hard to internalize the nose of this beer. suffice it to say it smells like a slightly sour quad, with plenty of sugars and wood notes. flavor is all of the above, with the quad complexity up front, a burning alcohol middle, and a sharp acidic wine finish. im surprised how much you can feel the alcohol in this. feel is fine, could probably stand some more carbonation, but it isnt flat. the flavors just unravel one after the other. quite remarkable blend really. tons of wood flavor in here, but i think the wine barrels are the strongest flavor, some bourbon in there too, but it is subtle. a true slow sipper as this beer changes as it warms. a good beer to share with a lover as the sun goes down. i can say im glad i tried this, but the cost is insane, and honestly i might just prefer a dissident or stoic on its own, but this was definitely an artistic and patient undertaking.

edit: I was fortunate enough to try this with a year or so on it, and wow has it mellowed out. all the harsh booze is gone, and so are the more acidic elements. it drinks easy now, every bit as complicated. if you were smart enough to keep one or more around, your patience has been rewarded!

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Dark brown with a bit of red in it. It's not completely opaque but I wouldn't really call it a see-through either. Half finger head, nice lacing.

S: As soon as I open the bottle, I could smell something super sour (not what I was expecting, but nice). I put my nose into the snifter, I can a bit of wine, oak, wood, brett yeast, some fruit notes (cherries maybe)? Very complex for sure.

T: This is one of the craziest beers I have ever tasted. How do I even rate something like this? It starts off sour and then a split second of strong booziness kicks in, replaced by some fruit notes, red wine, bourbon, carmel.... finishes a bit sweet... not sure if I like this, but crazy and unique for sure. I will give it a 4/5 for now. I will re-rate this beer after 4/30/2013 (which is on the bottle as the "best after" date).

M: Low to medium carbonation, finishes a bit dry, but the body is rather on the thicker side.

O: If I didn't know any background behind the beer, I would probably called this a sour. It's overally sour, but it's not really puckering because of the Adam and Fred kicking in the middle. I get a bit of bourbon, but wine taste is much stronger. Glad I got to try this (and more glad that I have more bottles to further age).

QUICK EDIT:

Ok so. I let a little bit of the bottle (maybe an oz) sit for awhile and had it at room temperature (maybe 62 degrees). Conclusion? - the taste reminds a lot like Porto (desert wine) with sourness up front and less alcohol burn.

Another Edit on January 6, 2013:

Wow.... This beer has aged well. Much better balanced sour now. Amazing. I originally thought that the sourness would take over and eat up Adam and Fred but wow Adam and Fred stood up and held themselves. So complex and awesome. I will revisiting in about 6 months.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

12 oz bottle, served in my Lost Abbey tulip. Reviewed from notes I took last night.

Aside: Scoring this beer is difficult so read the review.

A: Ruby red in low light. Thin rim of lacing after I let the beer settle. Don't really get a lot of legs on the glass.

S: Dissident through and through. Pinot noir grapes, tannins, oak, cherry. This is vinous to the point where it would be at home in the wine tasting rooms in the Willamette valley.

T: Sweet and sour. As tart as the nose is, there's a remarkable presence of the other beers here. Cherry, acetone, pomegranate, cranberry. As this warms up, I get more pepper which I'd guess is from the rye whiskey and leather which I'd attribute to the pinot noir and the Adam. Definitely some funk here. After letting this sit, Fred starts to show up with its caramel/toffee sweetness. In fact, the Hair of the Dog beers are both really evident to me after about 10 minutes, but only if you let the beer sit on your tongue for a few seconds.

M: Well carbonated and prickly. No faults here, especially considering the density of several of the base beers. I also have to tip my hat. There's no alcohol hit at nearly 12%.

O: This is very, very complex. It's very easy to spend a lot of time contemplating the skill it took to make and blend this, and knowing Alan's tendencies towards sours, I'm not surprised at how this tastes. If you liked Fred Flanders from the Wood, or for our non-Oregonian friends, Earthmonk, this will be right up your alley.

But...This is really Dissident and friends, and as such becomes very difficult to score. I like it more than Fred Flanders and Michael, but at the same time, I'm leery of putting this over a 4 overall. It is a totally unique experience, and there's going to be a wide range of reactions, but I think a number of people are going to be let down that this isn't so much more after the interminable 2 year wait. This is my current position; my opinion continues to change when I think of what I drank.

Who knows what this is going to be like in a year, either. The other 3 beers in the blend could blossom, or the wild yeast could swallow this mixture alive.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark red/brown with two fingers of a quickly dissipating light khaki head and lots of tiny bubbles. This beer is quite opaque and the color is virtually uniform from edge-to-edge.

Smell: Aroma is sweet and sour with apple, dark fruits, and maybe an apple cider vinegar thing happening at the end. The sourness from The Dissident is certainly the dominant component in the aroma.

Taste: The taste is initially sour, quickly fading to fruity sweetness, and finishing with an oak/barrel/wood taste. The taste isn't as sour as the aroma suggests and, relative to most strong ales, is a bit more complex. For me, the taste was the biggest surprise.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is somewhat sticky but thinner than most beers of this gravity. The ABV and appearance suggest a heartier feel but the beer is only a bit thicker than your average ale.

Overall: This is a remarkable beer. The smell and taste both surpassed my expectations and the smell alone justifies the $10.99 price. Also, I noticed, after I was halfway through, that my bottles say “Best after April 30, 2013” so I suspect this beer will only get more exceptional with age. It will be interesting to see if The Dissident mellows in favor of the less overt flavors in The Stoic, Adam, and Fred.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle. Paid $10.99.

A- Pours a brilliant muddy red with a off white 1 finger head. Very beautiful beer.

S- Getting mostly The Dissident with big sour notes, not surprising. Some leather from the Adam too.

T- Taste is big sour up front and a bit of leather in the middle and sour aftertaste. The Dissident is really big in this beer, but I am not surprised since sour beers are so big in the flavor department.

M- Mouthfeel is medium. I would prefer it to be a bit fuller for such a big beer.

O- This is a very good beer. I am not going to say it's mind blowing. I think The Dissident may be a bit overpowering in this blend. I am digging the leather from Adam though. Not getting much from the other two beers, The Stoic and Fred. At 11 bucks a bottle I was expecting mind blowing, but I am expecting it to change as it warms. Find this on tap possibly too.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Got my 3pk opening day at Deschutes in Portland. Waited exactly 28minutes in line, arriving exactly in front of the brewery at 11am opening...initial smell is quite sour. The Dissident (not my preference) overwhelmed the smell & aftertaste of this beer. If they left it out, would have been flawless. Color was perfect with a 11.6% look to it. Initial taste smooth as hell, just $. Aftertaste is just too sour for my preference. Overpriced at $11, was expecting greatness, but this beer is pretty good though. Not bashing it, but these two breweries are flawless, just expected a bit more...Im one to change my ratings once i have beers on tap...but per bottle, ita a good tasty beer, not great. No wow factor...
A-

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

I've had this beer now three days in a row (FredFest, Wildwood dinner, and release day at the brewpub), as well as tasting the component beers twice. Overall, I'm quite pleased with how it has turned out. Dissident contributes the majority of the aroma, which is characterized by cherries, bright acidic notes, and moderate wood. The taste picks up a bit of sweetness and some fruit, which I attribute to the Stoic, although it's much more refined than that beer. Acid from the Dissident keeps the sweetness in check, and there's a mild hoppy finish (Fred's contribution) plus a decent bourbon bite. I can't figure out how Adam plays into the mix at all. On tap, it's nicely carbonated and lively; haven't yet tried a bottle.

(Sampling the components was quite an interesting experience, although only one treatment of each beer was represented, where apparently something around 30 different treatments overall went into the final blend. The pinot-aged Dissident was spectacular; better than the final product, IMO. Adam aged in new oak had an unpleasant green, sappy flavor, on the other hand. Fortunately, I don't find any of that flavor in the blend.)

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%