Conflux No. 1 (Collage) | Deschutes Brewery

Conflux No. 1 (Collage)Conflux No. 1 (Collage)

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States
deschutesbrewery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Deschutes Brewery and Hair of The Dog Brewing Company join forces to weave The Dissident and The Stoic and Fred and Adam into an artistic collage of cask-aging alchemy.

Barrel Aging: Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak

Released in May 2012 (12 oz. bottles)

Added by msubulldog25 on 05-01-2012

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: Deep crimson. No head to speak of. Nice alcohol legs and lacing around the sides.

Smell: Sour explosion of fruits. Cherry, strawberry, raspberry and plum. Maybe some blackberry. Super fruity.

Taste: Follows the nose but with lots of different barrel characters. Bourbon comes through on the tip of the tongue, followed by a very well blended but subtle spiciness from the rye whiskey. Definitely some red wine characters at the back of the tongue, which all of the berry notes blend seamlessly into. There is also a very subtle smokiness that must come from Adam. Overall the most dominant of the beers in collaboration here is the Dissident as the sour lays the foundation. Finishes off with a nice bit of tannic dryness that helps clear the palate.

Mouthfeel: On the full side of medium. Just enough carbonation to move things along.

Overall: This is just an awesome, crazy, complex beer. Really looking forward to seeing how it ages. Grab a few bottles. Have one now and cellar the rest.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Dark brown with a bit of red in it. It's not completely opaque but I wouldn't really call it a see-through either. Half finger head, nice lacing.

S: As soon as I open the bottle, I could smell something super sour (not what I was expecting, but nice). I put my nose into the snifter, I can a bit of wine, oak, wood, brett yeast, some fruit notes (cherries maybe)? Very complex for sure.

T: This is one of the craziest beers I have ever tasted. How do I even rate something like this? It starts off sour and then a split second of strong booziness kicks in, replaced by some fruit notes, red wine, bourbon, carmel.... finishes a bit sweet... not sure if I like this, but crazy and unique for sure. I will give it a 4/5 for now. I will re-rate this beer after 4/30/2013 (which is on the bottle as the "best after" date).

M: Low to medium carbonation, finishes a bit dry, but the body is rather on the thicker side.

O: If I didn't know any background behind the beer, I would probably called this a sour. It's overally sour, but it's not really puckering because of the Adam and Fred kicking in the middle. I get a bit of bourbon, but wine taste is much stronger. Glad I got to try this (and more glad that I have more bottles to further age).

QUICK EDIT:

Ok so. I let a little bit of the bottle (maybe an oz) sit for awhile and had it at room temperature (maybe 62 degrees). Conclusion? - the taste reminds a lot like Porto (desert wine) with sourness up front and less alcohol burn.

Another Edit on January 6, 2013:

Wow.... This beer has aged well. Much better balanced sour now. Amazing. I originally thought that the sourness would take over and eat up Adam and Fred but wow Adam and Fred stood up and held themselves. So complex and awesome. I will revisiting in about 6 months.

Conflux No. 1 (Collage) from Deschutes Brewery